I had a brief conversation the other day with an evangelical Christian with some disturbing (to me) beliefs. I am looking for some sound apologetics to counter-address what I believe is distortion of sound Christian faith.

In a nutshell, he stated that Jesus came for the Jews only, and that Paul was for the church. Further, that much of the Gospel writers were not relevant to the gentile church. He asked me if given the choice, should you follow Jesus or Paul? As if such a question should be asked?

Upon considering the conversation and some things said, and some of our conflicting conclusions arising from his precepts as "Jesus came to create an earthly kingdom, but was rejected" -- that, "Jesus was all about the kingdom, and he was speaking to a Jewish audience, and for Gentiles to think he is talking to them is like "reading someone else's mail".

I can fairly well surmise that the gist of this approach supports a dispensationalist view. I shared my faith belief that the kingdom of heaven is spiritual, not earthly; not earthly 2,000 years ago and not earthly in an earthly coming Messiah in modern day Israel.

I understand that Jesus did expressly seek his kinsmen of Israel, but I don't believe Jesus ever intended on being an earthly king, and had to resort to a "Plan B". I also do not believe that Jesus only chose to save Gentiles after being rejected by his Jewish kinsmen.

In the account of Jesus with the Samaritan woman:
John 4:21-24
Woman,” Jesus replied, “believe me, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in the Spirit and in truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.”

I am interested in input from this Reformed forum, as well as insight into the reach and ramification of such teaching. Upon a little Googling I came across this site with some talking points: http://doctrine.org/jesus-vs-paul I think such doctrinal disputes underlie a large divide with serious ramifications.

Thank you