Donations for the month of May

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,792
Posts54,932
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,464
Tom 4,533
chestnutmare 3,325
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,867
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 11
Tom 10
John_C 1
Recent Posts
American Election
by Pilgrim - Sun May 05, 2024 7:03 AM
Nouthetic Counseling
by Pilgrim - Sun May 05, 2024 6:55 AM
N.T. Wright
by Pilgrim - Fri May 03, 2024 6:47 PM
The Righteousness of God - Horatius Bonar
by Pilgrim - Wed May 01, 2024 7:44 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:50 AM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Henry #18328 Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:48 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Henry,

I agree that further discussion has become pointless. The right to judge doctrine has been taken away from the learned doctors of Reformed theology and has been given to all Christians when Christ says, "My sheep hear my voice." Give heed to Christ's voice, "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved."

Peter #18329 Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:08 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Boanerges said:
No as a reformed baptist I do not believe in baptismal regeneration Neither as you define it, nor as the LCMS defines it.
Baptismal Regeneration
Q. You teach, as did Martin Luther, that man is justified by grace alone, through faith alone. Yet I also read your position on baptism and it seems to me that you also teach baptismal regeneration. You clearly state that a person (infant) comes into the blessings of grace (salvation) through their baptism. How can this be if the scripture teaches that faith is the means of apprehending salvation? I may simply be misunderstanding what you are saying in the section on baptism, I hope I am. If not, then I must insist that there would then be no difference between the LCMS and the Roman Church on its view of justification and salvation. Please help me understand where I am misunderstanding you.

A. Lutherans believe that the Bible teaches that a person is saved by God's grace alone through faith alone in Jesus Christ. Baptism, we believe, is one of the miraculous means of grace (together with God's written and spoken Word) through which God creates and/or strengthens the gift of faith in a person's heart (see Matt. 28:18-20; Act. 2:38; John 3:5-7; Act. 22:16; 1 Peter 3:21; Titus 3:5-6; Gal. 3:26-27; Rom. 6:1-4; Col. 2:11-12; 1 Cor. 12:13).

Although we do not claim to understand how this happens or how it is possible, we believe (because of what the Bible says about baptism) that when an infant is baptized God creates faith in the heart of that infant. This faith cannot yet, of course, be expressed or articulated, yet it is real and present all the same (see e.g., 1 Peter 2:21; Acts 2:38-39; Titus 3:5-6; Matt. 18:6; Luke 1:15; 2 Tim. 3:15; Gal. 3:26-27; Rom. 6:4; Col. 2:11-12; 1 Cor. 12:13). This faith needs to be fed and nurtured by God's Word (Matt. 28:18-20), or it will die. Those who have been baptized, but who no longer believe, will not be saved. (By the same token, those who truly believe and yet have not had opportunity to be baptized [like, for example, the thief on the cross] will be saved.)
LCMS Baptismal Regeneration
Nor WELS or the ELS But hold to that what has been taught long ago that regeneration is the effectual application of Christ's redemption applied to us by the Holy Spirit. Doctrine of Regeneration Bill Ascol

See also:
Blessings of Grace section 4 J.L Dagg
Regeneration and Conversion by James P. Boyce
Regeneration-outline by Derek Gentle

As I've said before, Lutheranism is defined in the Book of Concord not synodical statements. Statements made by LCMS Q&A may or may not reflect the Lutheran symbols. In this case, an error was made,

Those who have been baptized, but who no longer believe, will not be saved.

This is clearly contrary to the confessions. The Holy Spirit works faith in baptism when it pleases God.

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Boanerges,

But I am still willing to give you a chance here are the verses you have shown to us and claim they support your thesis regarding baptismal regeneration exegete one please.

Trying to prove baptismal regeneration is like trying to prove 2+2=4. Baptism saves (Mark 16:16; 1 Pet 3:21); baptism remits sins (Acts 2:38; Acts 22:16); ergo Baptism is a washing of regeneration (Titus 3:5).

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
This will probably be my final post on The Highway. I am here to learn not to teach. Everyone asks me questions but nobody answers my questions.

OK, you did answer my question on baptismal regeneration. And I appreciate your responses. But I did not receive an answer on the meaning of early Reformed confessions. My time is limited and I am simply not learning enough to justify continued participation.

Last edited by speratus; Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:49 AM.
#18332 Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:52 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
As I've said before, Lutheranism is defined in the Book of Concord not synodical statements. Statements made by LCMS Q&A may or may not reflect the Lutheran symbols. In this case, an error was made,

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Those who have been baptized, but who no longer believe, will not be saved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is clearly contrary to the confessions. The Holy Spirit works faith in baptism when it pleases God.

But you don't have to believe me. You can read the Augsburg Confession for yourself:

For through the Word and Sacraments, as through instruments, the Holy Ghost is given, who works faith; where and when it pleases God, in them that hear the Gospel, to wit, that God, not for our own merits, but for Christ's sake, justifies those who believe that they are received into grace for Christ's sake.

The LCMS should be ashamed for allowing false teaching rubbish to appear on their website.

#18333 Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:51 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Please ignore my previous post regarding The Highway. I have learned enough to justify continued participation. It came in the form of pilgrim's statement.

Regeneration is the secret, sovereign and sole act of the Holy Spirit in which a sinner is a recipient and of which is not comprehended at its occurence. Conversion is that response of a sinner who has been regenerated wherein he/she repents of sin and believes upon Christ unto justification.

While I, in no way, agree with pilgrim that justification involves a response by the regenerate, his statement does hightlight an error by certain "Lutherans". These Lutherans say they were regenerated when they were baptized. This answer is contrary to scripture and our confessions. The correct answer is that their regeneration occurred when it pleased God.

Last edited by speratus; Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:01 AM.
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,515,166 Gospel truth