Donations for the month of May

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,792
Posts54,932
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,464
Tom 4,533
chestnutmare 3,325
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,867
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 5
John_C 1
Recent Posts
American Election
by Pilgrim - Sun May 05, 2024 7:03 AM
Nouthetic Counseling
by Pilgrim - Sun May 05, 2024 6:55 AM
N.T. Wright
by Pilgrim - Fri May 03, 2024 6:47 PM
The Righteousness of God - Horatius Bonar
by Pilgrim - Wed May 01, 2024 7:44 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:50 AM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#52288 Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:17 PM
Addict
OP Offline
Addict

"And it was allowed to give breath to the image of the beast, so that the image of the beast might even speak and might cause those who would not oworship the image of the beast to be slain. Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, rthe name of the beast or sthe number of its name. This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number uof a man, and his number is 666."

What exactly is it?

Last edited by AJ Castellitto; Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:52 PM.
Anthony C. #52300 Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:19 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Herman Hoeksema in his book Behold He Cometh has a good section on this text, Rev. 13:11-18. I think he possibly has grasped the meaning of the two beasts, of which you seem to be wanting to know about the second beast. In summary, he posits that the first beast is a world power politic rather than a single individual. The second beast is inextricably tied to the first and is the propaganda spread by a false prophet who does the bidding of the first beast, again the emphasis is upon the message vs. the messenger. His responsibility is to get people to submit to the authority and doctrine, both political and religious of the first through subtlety and guile and even to worship the person and philosophy of the first beast (pp. 465-476).

Yes, I am aware that the Postmil Puritans interpreted the "beast" as the pope and Rome. But I have never been able to be swayed to accept that as valid. I think these beasts are much broader in scope.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #52303 Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:49 PM
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Herman Hoeksema in his book Behold He Cometh has a good section on this text, Rev. 13:11-18. I think he possibly has grasped the meaning of the two beasts, of which you seem to be wanting to know about the second beast. In summary, he posits that the first beast is a world power politic rather than a single individual. The second beast is inextricably tied to the first and is the propaganda spread by a false prophet who does the bidding of the first beast, again the emphasis is upon the message vs. the messenger. His responsibility is to get people to submit to the authority and doctrine, both political and religious of the first through subtlety and guile and even to worship the person and philosophy of the first beast (pp. 465-476).

Yes, I am aware that the Postmil Puritans interpreted the "beast" as the pope and Rome. But I have never been able to be swayed to accept that as valid. I think these beasts are much broader in scope.

Oh my, it's happening..... the Pope is a very minor player.... as hes been for almost a century

Last edited by AJ Castellitto; Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:50 PM.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Pilgrim's summary of Hoeksema is pretty much what I have been taught and believe. The beast is all human government/politics; the false prophet is all false religion (whether or not it falls under the umbrella of "Christianity.")

This would certainly include, but is by no means limited to, Rome/Pope. Remember that these seven parallel visions (or camera angles) given to John must be for all Christians, in all times, from Christ's first coming to His second coming.

But, were you asking specifically about the 'mark' of the beast? While many different explanations have been advanced, the one I prefer is that six is simply the number of man. Seven is the number of completion or perfection, and six falls short. So 777 would be perfect completion, and 666 always falls short. The expression of this which I like best is, "Failure upon failure upon failure."

The forehead represents one's thoughts, and the right hand represents one's deeds, so the mark of the beast may be evident in one's thoughts or actions; one's words or deeds.

Contrast this with the seal received by the saints (Rev.7:3) in their foreheads, but not in their right hands, a metaphor for our salvation being by grace through faith, and not of works.

Meta4

There is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. - C.H. Spurgeon
Meta4 #52390 Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:32 AM
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Hi brother, thanks for the response, actually the part I was most curious about, as I believe what's already posted to be on point, is this....

....so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name.

Originally Posted by Meta4
Pilgrim's summary of Hoeksema is pretty much what I have been taught and believe. The beast is all human government/politics; the false prophet is all false religion (whether or not it falls under the umbrella of "Christianity.")

This would certainly include, but is by no means limited to, Rome/Pope. Remember that these seven parallel visions (or camera angles) given to John must be for all Christians, in all times, from Christ's first coming to His second coming.

But, were you asking specifically about the 'mark' of the beast? While many different explanations have been advanced, the one I prefer is that six is simply the number of man. Seven is the number of completion or perfection, and six falls short. So 777 would be perfect completion, and 666 always falls short. The expression of this which I like best is, "Failure upon failure upon failure."

The forehead represents one's thoughts, and the right hand represents one's deeds, so the mark of the beast may be evident in one's thoughts or actions; one's words or deeds.

Contrast this with the seal received by the saints (Rev.7:3) in their foreheads, but not in their right hands, a metaphor for our salvation being by grace through faith, and not of works.

Last edited by AJ Castellitto; Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:34 AM.
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thank you for the clarification. Brother, you ask a hard question. scratch1 Though I have had no instruction on that particular portion of the passage, I did pray about it, and will just put forth a couple thoughts: idea

There are only two people-groups in view here; believers and unbelievers. A true believer will never bear the mark of the beast, while every one of the reprobate will.

"Buying and selling" does not refer merely to the exchange of goods. Rather, it is a metaphor for functioning in a society. It would include not only commerce, but also employment, transportation, accommodation, services, and so forth. If these things are withheld, one would be unable to function in a society.

So, the picture is one of Christians being persecuted by the world. Throughout the millennium, Christians have always been under persecution somewhere, by either the government, and/or by society. From Christ's first advent to His second advent, every generation has seen the persecution of Christians somewhere in the world.

That is about as far as I can take it. Perhaps others will add more thoughts! yep

Meta4

There is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. - C.H. Spurgeon
Meta4 #52399 Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:14 PM
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
thanks for your insights, very interesting..... I tend to agree with what you are getting at

Meta4 #52400 Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:15 PM
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
So do you think we are entering such a time?

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by AJ Castellitto
So do you think we are entering such a time?
Undoubtedly there are places in the world where Christians are under such persecution at this very time. But I suspect that you were asking whether we in North America were heading for such a condition? God knows -- but I don't! nope

Thanks for starting an interesting topic. After my post, I did some Googling, and after many false starts, I found this page, WHAT IS THE MARK OF THE BEAST?? which does a fair job of describing what I was trying to say, though I don't agree with everything he says. In fact, prior to this search, I had never heard of this guy or his organization.

But it is miles above 99% of the stuff turned up by my search, including that on John MacArthur's site.

So, what do you think... wink

Meta4

Meta4 #52404 Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:05 PM
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
BigThumbUp

Pilgrim #52536 Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:52 AM
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Originally Posted by Pilgrim

I just noticed that in your last paragraph you said that Postmils Puritans interpreted the "beast" as the pope of Rome."
My understanding is that they believed the pope of Rome was the "anti-Christ", not the "beast".
Can you clarify this?

Tom

Meta4 #52537 Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:04 AM
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Although I may not be the best one to comment when it comes to eschatology and I would need to look into what the link said in more detail to be able to give it a thumbs up. I will say that, I didn't see a lot to disagree with.
That said, I went to that UK Apologetics main site and found out that although they use a lot of Reformed maturial, they definitely believe in "Unlimitted Atonement" as opposed to the Reformed "limitted Atonement".

Tom

Tom #52539 Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:10 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by Tom
I just noticed that in your last paragraph you said that Postmils Puritans interpreted the "beast" as the pope of Rome."
My understanding is that they believed the pope of Rome was the "anti-Christ", not the "beast".
Can you clarify this?
yep My mistake and a silly one at that since I am more than aware that historic postmillennialists believe the pope is the antichrist (I disagree, of course). grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Anthony C. #52541 Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:16 PM
Plebeian
Plebeian
I'm tuning in here... Great topic! I just recently departed the Dispy Premil camp and I am so eager to learn about other views and especially Amil, which is looking more and more like the truth to me, the more I learn and read about it.

Last edited by Leah Ireland; Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:17 PM.
Plebeian
Plebeian
I tend to side with the Puritans and the saints and martyrs of the Reformation regarding the papacy as one of the beasts of Revelation and the Church of Rome being the great harlot church that has reigned over kings of the earth and described in Revelation chapters 17 and 18.

The location of the mark of the beast is on RIGHT hand and/or FOREHEAD.

In keeping with Romanism, it’s followers are identified by a visible and literal mark ... at baptism, the priest places his RIGHT hand into the baptismal font and with his thumb, places the mark (charagma) upon the FOREHEAD of the infant followers of the beast.

On Ash Wednesdays, the priest dips his RIGHT hand into the wood ashes and places the mark (charagma) upon the FOREHEAD of the adult followers of the beast.

It should be obvious to students of prophecy that the followers of Romanism use their right hand to make their identifying “sign”.

I believe this is how the term “being under the thumb of Rome” came about.

Their leader is “God On Earth”. Their own publications confirm this claim.

In a sense he is also “antichrist”, for the Greek “anti” has two meanings: against or opposed to ... and the second being ... “in place of”.

Their pope is “in the place of Christ”. He is the “Vicar of Christ” ... vicarious being a substitute for.

Within the walls of his kingdom ... Vatican City, all buying and selling is controlled ... it has it’s own currency, post office, security force etc..

I expect (sooner than later) that God will destroy this city and it will be an ever burning witness to the world.

At that time, futurists will be saying how can this be?

“The image, mark and numbered beast were supposed to be revealed prior to it’s destruction”.

Perhaps at that time, they will realize that their watchmen on the wall were asleep or looking in the wrong direction when these things came to pass.
ccc

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 64 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,515,527 Gospel truth