Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,788
Posts54,920
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,529
chestnutmare 3,325
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 13
John_C 1
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:50 AM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#53741 Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:20 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
As I said in another thread, one of the things I hope to do is listen to the Greg Bahnsen vs RC Sproul debate.
During my google search for that debate, I came upon someone's evaluation of that debate. Although I have yet to watch the debate, I thought the evaluation and the comment section was interesting.
Thought others might be interested in looking at it.
http://godorabsurdity.blogspot.ca/2014/04/bahnsen-vs-sproul-debate.html

Tom

Tom #53744 Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:04 AM
Addict
Addict
I am still not quite sure why we cannot use historical havts and truths to support the various faith claims of jesus and the Bible, as both were rooted directly into the contex of being part of hostorical events?

Tom #53751 Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:50 AM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
I just listened to the debate between RC Sproul and Greg Bahnsen. I took some notes based on my understanding of what were the main arguments. I only listened to the debate once and because of that, I probably missed a few points from both sides. However, I tried to give an accurate description of what I think they were trying to say, while not adding my own thoughts.
RC Sproul’s main argument for Classical Apologetics
He is a Classical Apologist because he believes the Presuppostional approach is a Neo-Orthodox form of Reformed theology. He believes it is a divorce of faith and science. He believes the Classical form is the apologetic held by Calvin himself (quoting Calvin himself a few times). He believes both general and special revelation are the means that point directly to God Himself. Natural revelation is ineffective when it comes to salvation, but it leaves them without excuse. It however, with all its science etc… is enough to shut the mouth of even the staunchest atheist. He believes that the presuppostional approach gives the atheist a reason to not to believe, by using a circular reasoning. He believes it is subjectivism, not true reason.

Greg Bahsen’s arguments for Presuppostional Apologetics
Apologetics is not mere persuasion. We can know with certainty our faith in respect to God’s Word. Science etc.. does not talk about certainty, it may talk about probability. God’s Word on the other hand is not like that, it speaks of certainty. The unbeliever and the believer have two different world views, therefore the unbeliever suppresses anything that has to do with God, because he wants to hold onto his autonomy. An apologist must not start with a neutral position, which is actually what Classical Apologetics seek to do in order to move them to special revelation. We must start with God, rather than his creation. God is the reason anyone can have reason in the first place and when the non Christian uses true reason they are actually borrowing from the Christian world view. Eve’s sin was really believing the serpent’s subtle lie and questioning God’s authority and acting on it.
Both Apologetic systems believe that non-Christians suppress truth in unrighteousness. Yet they come at apologetics differently. Mainly that what are the preconditions of all knowledge? How do you argue with the unbeliever to reach the ultimate goal? One argues from probability, one argues from certainty.

RC Sproul believes we should be able to move someone from the probable to the certainty. Bahnsen believes you always lead with the certainty, rather than the probable. Saying while if we are good arguers we might be able to show them they have their facts wrong. However, someone more knowledgable may come along and blow your argument away. Whereas, the argument starting from a certainty position, that keeps to the certainty position, does not have that problem.

Last edited by Tom; Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:56 AM.
Tom #53752 Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:40 AM
Addict
Addict
The sinner will not be persuaded by no amount of historical facts to accept jesus, but the Lord will use that to bring him to that place of receiving Jesus as Lord.

JesusFan #53753 Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:02 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by JesusFan
The sinner will not be persuaded by no amount of historical facts to accept jesus, but the Lord will use that to bring him to that place of receiving Jesus as Lord.
What in the world are you talking about??? shrug The natural man is at enmity with God and is not subject to the law of God, indeed he CANNOT be. Natural law only demonstrates the natural man's hatred of God and God's wrath and judgment upon him for taking what is demonstrable of God's existence and Godhead, both in the creation and the inward testimony that God Himself has given him.

Secondly, you have consistently avoided answering any of my questions directly but reply with nothing but a recitation of your "views". And, you have not provided biblical support for them. Don't you know that repetition of the same mantra doesn't change anything other than producing consternation in those who read them? Why don't you make an effort to deal with people here in an adult manner and defend your views and use Scripture to support them rather than simply stating your personal opinions on everything? Doubtless, that would be far more beneficial for everyone. grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #53754 Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:56 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim
Thankyou

Pilgrim #53758 Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:17 AM
Addict
Addict
The message of the Gospel is that in historical time God incarnated, in history he lived and died on a Cross, and in history he rose again, correct?
We can appeal to the scriptures and also use those historical truths, its really not either/or!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 79 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,513,682 Gospel truth