Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of $0 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics6,620
Posts51,087
Members925
Most Online373
Mar 5th, 2017
Top Posters(All Time)
Pilgrim 13,410
Tom 3,424
chestnutmare 2,910
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,754
RJ_ 1,582
MarieP 1,578
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 18
Tom 11
cathmg 5
Tina 3
John_C 3
Kaylin 1
Recent Posts
Dispensationalism
by Pilgrim. Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:13 AM
What exactly is a confessional church
by Pilgrim. Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:18 PM
James White Article
by Pilgrim. Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:10 PM
Importance of dating the destruction of the Temple
by Pilgrim. Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:13 PM
A study of the Heidelberg Catechism
by cathmg. Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:58 PM
"The Reformed View of Sanctification" - Sinclair Ferguson
by Pilgrim. Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:04 AM
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Theology Discussion Forum
5 hours ago
For quite a long period of time in the past, the Roman State Church adhered to a quasi? Amillennial position. Rome is and always has been a religious chameleon depending upon what location they occupied and what pope was enthroned as the "Vicar of Christ". Accommodation to local customs and beliefs regardless of how pagan they are is Roman policy/practice. However, Rome's theological position has been relatively consistent, with a few exceptions where liberal popes have pronounced some really bizarre things. The 'out' has aways been the expected phrase, "But none of that was give EX-CATHEDRA", which is their way of saying, you can take whatever was said with a grain of salt because it isn't officially binding. As an aside, it is interesting to read/hear professing Catholics have so little interest in their church and often disagree and even ridicule it for some of its doctrines. And yet, at least in the U.S. lamestream media, when it mentions Christianity, the majority of the time the reference is to the Roman State Church as if IT is the recognized representative. igiveup

Most Dispensationalists, regardless of what type they profess to be are not governed by Scripture but by daily headline news, which they claim is the fulfillment of some biblical prophecy which is proof that Armageddon is right around the corner and the 1000 year millennium will soon be here... i.e., if you are a pre-Trib Dispie. rolleyes2
6 82 Read More
11 hours ago
When I saw this post, I thought of this article re: Pope Francis position statement "the Jews still hold special covenantal relation with God".
https://richardedmondson.net/2014/01/13/the-jewish-covenant-with-god-according-to-pope-francis-2/
The article and commentary get to the crux of the controversy, which is in this case, what is meant by "Old Covenant" and "their covenant". After prominent Catholics, such as E. Michael Jones refuted the document as veering from Catholic historical teaching regarding the Jews, the catechism was changed, but its intention remains ambiguous to critics. The document was never considered 'ex-cathedra' but still, the Catholic Church, has been confusing and evolving its stance on this teaching as well as ecumenism in all senses.

Meanwhile, in Evangelical churches, false teachers such as Hagee claim the Jews are saved without Christ. And mainline dispensationalist churches have another heretical understanding of physical Israel and the Jews.

And politically speaking, and blurring the lines, the American government together with the Christian right (including Evangelicals and Catholics) have been advocating policy based upon heretical "Judeo-Christian eschatology" ..the presumption of a biblical mandate, even an end-times "third temple" mandate. Mainstream news outlets have been covering these stories for some time.

Recently, the Vatican rightly condemned what it referred to as "apocalyptic" fear politics, and many non-dispensationalist Christians are waking up to how rampant the situation is.

Trump as annointed "Cyrus", "appointed by God", "King of the World", "the Trump Prophecies", etc. Liberty University is creating a feature film based on "the Trump Prophecies" (against the wishes and petition of its film/media students).

Against the din and silence of all of the above, a very tiny few souls are actively vocalizing a different concern.

Historic understanding of the gospel, covenants and the significance of 70 AD and "it is finished" vs. TBN and The Jim Baker and their many friends freak show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkvjbvhm-lI -- "Trump Prophecy" - Sid Roth and audience
Trump Coin- Jerusalem Temple
6 82 Read More
Open Forum
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:18 PM
Originally Posted by John_C
Does it mean that a church ascribes to a confession of faith, or can it mean that a church ascribes to a statement of faith with might entail 5-10 points? Or, maybe there is really not a specific meaning, but one that is thrown around a lot?

1. Historically, a "confessional church" is a body that ascribes to a denominational standard, e.g., Helvetic, Belgic, LBCF, Westminster, Savoy, etc. These churches confess that the Bible is the sole and final authority in all matters of faith (doctrine) and practice... and that the Standard/Confession is their secondary authority in all that it says which is consistent with biblical teaching.

2. In more modern times, it can mean that a denomination or individual church ascribes to a confession/standard which they have written themselves. Typically, these type of confessions are very simple and pale in comparison to the historical confessions which came about after the Protestant Reformation as were all those mentioned above. Precision isn't one of their attributes and most are contrary to the doctrines of the reformational confessions.

3. Lastly, EVERY church is confessional in the sense that the individual church has a set of beliefs, whether written or unwritten to which members are required to acknowledge as truth and voluntarily agree to submit to and be disciplined if broken. You will see these written 'confessions' on most church websites, usually designated as "What We Believe", or something similar.

#1 is, or was, the understood meaning of a "Confessional Church".

One more thing I feel I would be reticent if not mentioned. A denomination/church can claim to be confessional but that does not guarantee that they accept their Standard(s) as a binding secondary authority, or consistently teach and live by them, e.g., the PCUSA retains the Westminster Standards as part of their denomination but openly disagrees with most of what those Standards teach. They are valuable as part of history and not much more. There are other confessional denominations who haven't gone as far as the PCUSA in denying the majority of the teachings of their respective Standard(s), but they are slowly going in that direction. This is not unusual historically. Many, if not most of the major Reformed denominations are in our day are traveling down that road to one degree or another and will eventually become just another "used to be confessional" church. Out of them will be those who sooner or later recognize the seriousness of what is happening, leave and start a new denomination/church. Revelation chapters 2&3 is an accurate description of where the visible church is today. The majority have gone astray in various ways but a few have remained faithful. The question that needs to be asked is, "Where is MY church/denomination among those described in Revelation?" Most people play ostrich and refuse to take seriously the signs of impending apostasy around them. And that is one of the major contributions to the demise of their church/denomination. [Linked Image]
1 21 Read More
Open Forum
Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:28 PM
Does it mean that a church ascribes to a confession of faith, or can it mean that a church ascribes to a statement of faith with might entail 5-10 points? Or, maybe there is really not a specific meaning, but one that is thrown around a lot?
1 21 Read More
Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:20 PM
"Progressive" Dispensationalists, e.g., John MacArthur believe that justification is by grace through faith in Christ Alone for everyone. But they still believe that God has a special place in His 'heart' for the Jews, etc. etc.
6 82 Read More
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:31 PM
Originally Posted by Tom
I have a question related to Dispensationalism.
I have heard it said that many Dispensationalists actually believe that salvation is different for Jews than it is for Gentiles.
I am trying to find out if this is a truthful statement and if so, who are the main teachers who believe it?

Tom

Wait a second, if that is not a main component of what they believe, how do those who don't believe that view the salvation of Jews?
6 82 Read More
Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:54 PM
I heard that too back in the early 80s when I first became aware of biblical theology. I think Pilgrim gives a good synopsis between them and the newer current dispensationalists. Maybe why the former is not seen around much anymore is the influence of popular radio preachers such as McGee, MacArthur, Jeremiah, Swindoll. I'm I forgetting anyone.
6 82 Read More
Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Tom
I have heard it said that many Dispensationalists actually believe that salvation is different for Jews than it is for Gentiles.

Yes, there have been and continue to be some who believe that the Jews are saved in a different manner than are Gentiles. Such individuals/groups often were called 'hyper-Dispensationalists', 'Acts 28' or 'Acts 29' Dispensationalists. They so bifurate the Bible that they believe that parts of the New Testament only applies to Jews or Gentiles. IF I remember rightly, I think? one of the major proponents of this extreme view was Ethelbert William Bullinger (E.W. Bullinger) [cf. E.W. Bullinger].

Modified or Progressive Dispensationalism, e.g., as taught by John MacArthur are not of this group, albeit they have their own problems/errors, strongly reject the view that Jews are saved differently than Gentiles. How widespread the ultra/hyper-Dispensational view(s) are today is anyone's guess. I suspect it is greatly under represented among the church at large.
6 82 Read More
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:22 AM
I have a question related to Dispensationalism.
I am trying to find out if this is a truthful statement and if so, who are the main teachers who believe it?

Tom
6 82 Read More
Open Forum
Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:10 PM
The link is the search results on Google which isn't helpful. giggle
10 367 Read More
Open Forum
Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:10 PM
I did provide a link, however I also had trouble finding it again.
I decided to Google it and found it right away.
[url]https://www.google.ca/search?source=hp&ei=IuLQWr-NO-mD0wKmiau4Cg&q=exposing+the+nazi+roots+of+the+american+left&oq=expising+the+naz&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.1.0.0i13j0i13i30j33i160.3755.16743..19966...5....202.3010.1j19j1..........1..mobile-gws-wiz-hp.....3..0j5j41j0i131j0i10j0i10i70i249.GgtlYo40p0I%3D[\url]
Sorry, I am having a hard time posting the link using my phone.

Tom
10 367 Read More
Open Forum
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by Tom
Pilgrim
Thank you for the links. I do have a question related to the link though.
At the bottom of the link under "Order Now" it reads "EXPOSING THE NAZI ROOTS OF THE AMERICAN LEFT".
I have been doing some research on the left and from what I am reading the American Left has its roots in Marxism, and although it had some German roots. The Nazi's (as led by Adolf Hitler) themselves were of the far right and were anti-Communism. Hitler however, denied the movement was either left or right; he called it a syncretic movement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncretic_politics

Am I missing something?

Tom

Please provide a link to the page which you are referring to re: 'EXPOSING THE NAZI ROOTS OF THE AMERICAN LEFT'. I spent too much time trying to find it. But regardless, Dinesh D'Sousa is one brilliant man who does his research beyond what would normally be necessary to substantiate a particular claim. I cannot imagine that he could be so wrong in regard to the issue of the origin of the American Left. Therefore, at this moment, I must conclude that you have misunderstood something and drawn a wrong conclusion about this matter. So again, please get me to the page where you read what you THINK shows that Dinesh D'Sousa is waaaaaaaaaay off the mark on a subject which he is lauded as one of the foremost authorities to ever come down the pike. scratchchin
10 367 Read More
Open Forum
Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:46 AM
Pilgrim
Thank you for the links. I do have a question related to the link though.
At the bottom of the link under "Order Now" it reads "EXPOSING THE NAZI ROOTS OF THE AMERICAN LEFT".
I have been doing some research on the left and from what I am reading the American Left has its roots in Marxism, and although it had some German roots. The Nazi's (as led by Adolf Hitler) themselves were of the far right and were anti-Communism. Hitler however, denied the movement was either left or right; he called it a syncretic movement.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncretic_politics

Am I missing something?

Tom
10 367 Read More
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:13 AM
Admittedly, it has been years since I came across this subject. But from what I read from others and from things which Dr. Sproul wrote himself, it was obvious that he embraced "Partial Preterism", NOT to be confused with "hyper-Preterism". Those who hold to the "partial" type of Preterism prefer to use the term "Orthodox Preterism". grin

Dating is one of those hotly debated and contentious subjects among those who are most interested in eschatological matters. It is natural to want to know, "What comes first; the dates or the interpretation of particular texts?" If one begins with the presupposition (an odious term to those of the Classical Apologetics school) giggle that AD 70 is the key to understanding the matter, then one will have to change the dates of when the Epistles were written, etc., etc. And that, of course, will influence how one interprets the Epistles themselves and the events referred to in them. It's like a snowball rolling down a steep slope. It gathers more and more snow resulting in a monstrosity of a snowball and most difficult to slow down, never mind stop. Personally, I do not agree with the "Orthodox Preterist" view, albeit everyone would agree on some of its particulars which are based upon sound exegesis. And, I would not judge it to be heresy and perhaps not even heterodoxy. It is, however, a peculiar view. As to what specifically I would disagree with I cannot say since I basically cannot remember much of what it teaches due to the time that I researched it and my failing memory due to getting old. [Linked Image]
1 67 Read More
Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:52 PM
We are watching a video series on Apologetics with RC. Sproul as the lecturer. It has been a great series, but I wonder about this. I have heard that Sproul in his later years became a Partial Preterist. Well, in a recent video lession, he just said the destruction of the Temple was in 70 AD. If i remember correctly, most commentators will give 66 AD as the date, and doesn't Partial Preterists tend to date John's Epistles much earlier than the consensus of 90-95 AD. Just wondering if the 70 AD remark gives an indication of his Partial Preterism?
1 67 Read More
Open Forum
Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:44 PM
It is amazing how much ignorance exists on this matter of the persecution of "blacks" and the Democratic Party.

Here is some informational sites which remove the blind(ers) by providing the historical and irrefutable FACTS:

Dinesh D'Sousa website

Hillary's America - The Movie
10 367 Read More
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 16 guests, and 108 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Dutch Michael, Ray, robertolang, SmallFry, drewk
925 Registered Users
Shout Box
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Popular Topics(Views)
735,310 Gospel truth
Page Time: 0.062s Queries: 6 (0.019s) Memory: 2.4668 MB (Peak: 2.6706 MB) Zlib enabled. Server Time: 2018-04-19 15:34:04 UTC