Joe:
Joe said concerning parachurch groups:
Should Christians support them? Why? or Why not? Is there biblical warrant? How often should we give? How much should we give? What kinds should we support? Which ones do you support monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, etc.? Should we budget for this or just give when we are prompted by ????

What....first of all, constitutes a parachurch group, organization, or ministry? Para...greek... alongside or beside of...church..ekklesia...the called out ones. So we have ministries that come about ...for whatever reason or purpose and are promoted, not within the church or as a ministry of the church, but alongside, outside. Is there biblical warrant?... as Joe has asked. Does the Church have a need for ministries outside the body of Christ....and if so why can these ministries not function as a part of the “ekklesia”?

Does the rise of so many “parachurch groups” constitute a failure of the church....to promote, fund, organize, give,minister, evangelize, comfort, equip.... those in need?

Didn’t Christ give to the Church the necessary gifts to accomplish all things through Him by using those ordained by the Church?
“And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:
13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

“.....I will build my Church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” Matt 16:18

My post will compete with Joe’s for asking questions: Does the Church need freelance “evangelists” to go out apart from the sending of the Church?

IMO God has ordained one Organization...the Church, to be His witness in the world.

WCF Chap XXV para III. Unto this catholic visible church Christ hath given the ministry, oracles, and ordinances of God, for the gathering and perfecting of the saints, in this life, to the end of the world: and doth, by his own presence and Spirit, according to his promise, make them effectual thereunto.

P.S. I don’t think that Pilgrim considers the Highway a parachurch organization. I would consider it an extension of Pilgrims personal witness to the world as a member of a local body of believers which is part of the “Church”. (he can speak for himself....as you all know)

P.P.S. Maybe what we need is a good definition of what a “Parachurch” group or organization is exactly. My “Webster’s knows of no such term.

Dave