1st Corinthians 12:3 says, "...no one can say “Jesus is Lord” except in the Holy Spirit."

In 1st John 4, we read in verses 2-3:

"By this you know the Spirit of God: Every Spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, and every spirit that does not confess that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God."

In vs. 6 of that same chapter, we read "We are of God. He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us. By this we know the spirit if truth and the spirit of error."

Now, what I am about to tell you is not a hypothetical situation. We met a man recently, and as we got to know him found that he believed in the orhtodox teachings about Jesus strongly- he affirmed the truth of 1st Cor. 12:3 passage to the point that he would not refer the Jesus by any other name but "the Lord Jesus." He studied the gospels meticulously.

Yet he completely rejected apostolic authority. He said that the worst thing to happen to the church was to have the apostles come along and "mess everything up" that Jesus had done. He said that they had a few good things to say, but were no more inspired then any other Christian, and that their works should not be a part of the Bible- only the 4 gospels qualified.

What I am wondering, is how can someone "pass the test" of 1 Cor. 12:3, 1st John 4:2-3, etc., and yet fail miderably the "test" of 1st John 4:6, which lays down the line on submitting to apostolic doctrine and authority? I'm curious what your takes are on this.

(Latin phrase goes here.)