Ehud said:
As for Ephesians 6:1, it says that "Children are to obey their parents in the Lord ." If our children are not Christians then how do we teach them to obey us? To teach them the commandments of God apart from the redeeming work of Christ sounds like moralism to me.
Children should obey. Why? Because it is the right thing to do. Should we teach our children that they can do the right thing apart from the saving grace of Christ?!?! To tell a 2 year/3 year old that they must obey the parent but that they are not yet able to obey God would seem to bring on a type of schizophrenia. I don't yet have a familly so maybe I am speaking out of turn here.
Ehud,

You have done a masterful job of making my point for me. "Hyper-covenantalism", which as I previously defined for you, is most always based upon the erroneous doctrine of presumptive regeneration. And as I have argued elsewhere with others who hold to the same heretical view of presumptive regeneration, to embrace this view of necessity denies the fundamental doctrines of grace, e.g., Total Depravity, Unconditional Election, Limited Atonement, Irresistible Grace and Perseverance of the saints. IF, as you have at least intimated, believe that all baptized (or even not baptized) children of believers are to be deemed "Christians", i.e., they have been regenerated and thus united to Christ by faith, then you are forced to defend some radical views which are inconsistent with those fundamental doctrines. If nothing else, an infant of a believing parent who has been baptized and thus deemed "Christian" cannot ever fall away, i.e., he/she is eternally guaranteed preservation by God and thus will infallibly inherit eternal life. Further, you will have to show that God's election is inclusive of ALL baptized covenant children. The Lord's Table is restricted to only those who have actually and truly come to faith. All others who do not possess saving faith eat and drink to their condemnation.

1 Corinthians 11:28-29 (ASV) "But let a man prove himself, and so let him eat of the bread, and drink of the cup. 29 For he that eateth and drinketh, eateth and drinketh judgment unto himself, if he discern not the body."

I seriously doubt you are willing or capable of dealing with the contents of that Pandora's Box..... are you? Once you step on that slippery slope it is very difficult if not impossible to gain your footing and to return to a place of security.

NPP/FV is a poisonous fruit. Those who insist on eating it will surely die. Take heed therefore and guard your soul with diligence, for I fear that the allurements of NPP/FV have become to you as that which is: "good for food, and that it is a delight to your eyes, and that this teaching is to be desired to make one wise." Be not as Hymenaeus and Alexander who made shipwreck of the faith.

Lastly, contra your faulty logic, i.e., children unable to obey their parents unless they are "Christians", aka: regenerate . . . The Gospel calls upon ALL men, unregenerate men to obey God, to conform themselves perfectly to the law of God and to repent of their sins and believe upon Christ. Of a truth, no one no not one is capable of doing these things, yet they are responsible to do so. Further, it is by God's benevolence that unregenerate men are able to live relatively peaceful lives, adhering to various laws of their land and thus children also are capable of adhering to their parent's instructions. The natural man, although totally depraved in nature is not utterly depraved and is thus capable of rendering reasonable obedience to authority.

In His grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]