Donations for the month of August

We have received a total of "$0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Meta4
Meta4
Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,558
Posts54,075
Members972
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,245
Tom 4,250
chestnutmare 3,223
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,841
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 21
Pilgrim 18
jta 8
Meta4 2
John_C 1
Recent Posts
Armstrong First to step on the Moon
by Tom - Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:48 PM
Christian Nationalism
by Anthony C. - Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:59 PM
Musings
by Anthony C. - Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:06 PM
Thoughts on Backsliding ~ J.C. Ryle
by Rick Bates - Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:23 PM
Assurance of Justification
by NetChaplain - Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:59 AM
Suffering’s Solace
by NetChaplain - Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:52 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#11866 Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:43 PM
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Correct me if I am wrong, but the only thing we need for our salvation is for the Holy Spirit to revive our hearts, which means we can now . Right? So my question is, why would an Arminian not be a Christian? Or could he be? I think Hyper-Calvinism is related to this. What makes a heretic unregenerate? A Charismaniac believes in God. Is he unsaved? Why (not)? What am I missing here?

In the midst of your sadness and woe, when you are tormented and afflicted, have comfort! God's will is done.
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Nathan,
This doesn't answer your question, but you might want to read the Martyn Lloyd Jones article posted recently by Pilgrim. Here's an excerpt from it.
A heresy is a denial of or a doubt concerning any defined, established Christian doctrineThere is a difference between heresy and apostasy. Apostasy means a departure from the Christian truth. It may be a total renunciation or denial of it, or it may be a misrepresentation of it to such an extent that it becomes a denial of the whole truth. But a heresy is more limited in its scope. To be guilty of heresy, and to be a heretic, means that in the main you hold to the doctrines of the Christian faith, but that you tend to go wrong on some particular doctrine or aspect of the faith. The New Testament itself shows us clearly that this tendency to heresy had already begun even in the days of the early Church. Have you not noticed in the New Testament Epistles the frequent references to these things? There is scarcely one of them that does not include mention of some particular heresy that was creeping in, and tending to threaten the life of some particular church. It is seen in this Epistle to the Ephesians; it is still more plain, perhaps, in the Epistle to the Colossians where heretical tendencies were entering through philosophy and other agencies. It is found likewise in the Epistles to Timothy.

Incipient heresy can be detected from the very earliest days. There is an enemy who comes and sows tares. I am not applying that parable in detail, I am using it as an illustration to show the kind of thing we are considering. The enemy's object, of course, is to disturb the life of the Church, to shake the confidence of Christian people, to spoil God's work in Christ. The Epistles were in a sense written to counteract these evils. The threat was already there in many different forms, for before the New Testament closes, all the major heresies were beginning to show their heads in the Early Church.

Read it Here

Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
In my opinion, since none of us as fallible humans has all the right answers, I don't see why there couldn't be some people saved who are Arminians or even some Charismatics. Just like there are a lot of Reformed people who aren't saved. Anyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved is what the Bible says. So I believe that if someone truly calls on the name of the Lord for salvation and repents of their sins that they will be saved.

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Nathan,

The article which Susan referred to by Martyn Lloyd-Jones is excellent and you would benefit from taking time to read it. To answer your question directly as to what you are missing is that things aren't as simple as you would perhaps like them to be, or at least according to how you posed the issue. Salvation is by grace through faith in Christ alone. However, each of those terms has meaning that includes various things. For example, when we say we are saved by grace; Sola Gratia, we are confessing that we believe that God in His sovereign mercy, from all eternity predestined a remnant of fallen mankind to salvation in Christ. In that decree, the means to that end are included, e.g., regeneration, justification by faith, imputation of Christ's active obedience, sanctification and glorification. All is of God. When we speak of "faith", this too is pregnant with meaning. The modern church has so dumbed down the biblical essence of faith that it hardly has any resemblance to that faith which is flows out of the new heart of flesh created at regeneration. To "call upon Christ" is far more than saying a few "magic words", e.g., "Oh Jesus! Come into my heart." We are to believe IN Christ; the person of Christ. The false gospel says to "believe that Jesus died for you". This is a far cry from what true faith does; i.e., reaches out and takes hold of the PERSON of JESUS. For one of the finest explanations of what it means to be "Justified by faith", you simply MUST read Dr. Joel Beeke's article found here: Justification by Faith Alone: The Relation of Faith to Justification.

Lastly, you asked why can't an Arminian or a Charismaniac be saved? The simple answer is that if a person who embraces Arminianism in his/her heart, i.e., if that person truly believes what Arminian teaches then it is impossible for that person to be saved because Arminianism denies Sola Gratia, Sola Fide, Solus Christus! That system of doctrine teaches that salvation is "synergistic", i.e., God and man working together, which is a flat contradiction of GRACE ALONE. However, because of the nature of how the sin nature effects our minds and hearts, it is possible for one to profess something but not really believe it. As you are aware, it works both ways. One can profess wrong doctrine but actually embrace true doctrine in the heart. And one can profess true doctrine but have no spiritual life.

It is for this reason that I wrote that little article to help people discern what it is the TRULY believe, at least intellectually and then compare that to what they are trusting in. See that article here: Do You REALLY Believe that Salvation is by Grace Alone?.

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Tom), 59 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheSojourner, Larry, Nana Dadzie Jr., Cliniql, John E
972 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
August
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,359,163 Gospel truth