Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,780
Posts54,875
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,864
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:34 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
The When and How of Justification
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:13 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1662 Mon Mar 17, 2003 12:35 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I would like to hear any opinions on believers listening to secular music or any other 'secular' art forms for that matter. I myself enjoy an artists songwriting/musical abilities whether or not they are christian/secular. I do understand that the content of the material is an issue, but for the most part is there anything wrong with this?<br><br>Hopefully this makes sense, most times I think better than I speak/write. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/igiveup.gif" alt="igiveup" title="igiveup[/img]

#1663 Mon Mar 17, 2003 1:31 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
[color:blue]I actually made a post about this very issue on a message board on another site. I do not personally think that listening to secular music or watching secular movies or TV or things like that is wrong. I have found that here recently, a lot of Christian music is fluff and unbiblical anyway. And I have found that some secular is more honest and humbling than ANY modern praise song is. At the same time though, one needs to ask themself if what they are singing lines up with what the Bible so clearly teaches. And this same discression needs to be used when it comes to Christian music as well. As for TV and other forms of "secular entertainment", I think it is up to what the Scriptures say on the matter. And if the Bible does not address it, you need to ask yourself if you should even consider doing it at all. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/groovin.gif" alt="groovin" title="groovin[/img]

#1664 Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:13 PM
Addict
Addict
I'm not sure that there is any difference between secular art and secular business or secular science or anything else secular. Christians can and do work the same range of endeavors that non-Christians do. We just do it for different reasons.<br><br>My husband is a professor and a scientist. He discovers how God does His work, and is not afraid to talk about why his discipline excites his love for God (in a secular classroom). I am a visual artist (when I'm not cleaning bathrooms and cooking meals!) Not everything I do has to be overtly Christian, or even necessarily beautiful, but my hope is that it will cause others to think and to consider certain ideas. If you're interested, I can send you a series of articles I wrote on the subject.

Stand Fast, Craigellachie!
#1665 Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:27 PM
Addict
Addict
Greetings Thredrice,<br><br>I think I need to hear more about the way in which you classify things as secular or Christian. Is the distinction made by the content of the composition, the artist who produces it, or something else?<br><br>Sincerely in Christ,<br><br>Jason

#1666 Mon Mar 17, 2003 4:09 PM
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Thought maybe the following link would be of interest.<br><br>http://www.geocities.com/nwcricket/theses/thesmain.html

Jason1646 #1667 Mon Mar 17, 2003 7:56 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I would say the content of the composition and probably the artist too. I'm speaking specifically of non-christian music and artists. For example, Michael Jackson etc. (knowwhati'msayin')[img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/shrug.gif" alt="shrug" title="shrug[/img]

E_F_Grant #1668 Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:01 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Right on, I agree with ya. I'm not making a distinction between issues of everyday life like business or science. What I'm saying is, is there anything wrong with enjoying the songs/music of a non-believer?

#1669 Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:01 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
While I'm on the subject...kinda...Any opinions on Christians and tattoos. I don't have any, but just wanted to throw that out there. I've heard Leviticus 19:28 in opposition to tattoos. It reads "You shall not make any cuts in your body for the dead nor make any tattoo marks on yourselves, I am the Lord." NASB<br>

#1670 Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:12 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
I think there is most definitely a distinction between the "secular" and the "profane". However, as Christians, being most surely indwelt by the Spirit who is sanctifying our minds, hearts and souls unto the most Holy God, is there a place in our lives for the "profane"? What I mean by profane are the things of this world that do not glorify God. Can all forms of the world's music be said to glorify God? If not, then what room is there in a Christian's life for such music? The same can be said for sport, all manner of art forms etc. Each must be examined under the light of Scripture from various perspectives to determine if it is acceptable before God. If not, then surely it cannot be acceptable for us! [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/wink.gif" alt="wink" title="wink[/img]

Also, each art form must be examined from Scripture as to its "excellence" for the Lord God is most excellent. I am speaking now of that art which is offered for the public interest, not that which is done by an individual for personal enjoyment. Some forms or art are by nature, IMHO, wholly unacceptable for pagan or Christian. I do adhere to that old adage, "You don't have to jump into the sewer to know that it sinks!"

In regard to music, specifically, there are several very good articles which you can read in this section of The Highway here: The Doctrine of the Church

Also, Dr. Peter Masters in his series on worship has an entire chapter devoted to the discussion of "Sacred and Secular" which you can read here: Sacred and Secular

Enjoy!!

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #1671 Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:48 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Pilgrim:<br><br>How sweet it is to hear you sound such a clear call to holiness, to call us to a higher plane of thinking and living, and in that call to the echo the thoughts of the Reformers, the Puritans and the Apostle to "come out from among them and be ye sparate, sayeth the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing" and again "that whether, therefore ye eat of drink, or what ever ye do, do all to the Glory of God" (2Cor 6:17 & 1Cor 10:31).<br><br>Gerry

#1672 Mon Mar 17, 2003 10:04 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Hey, brother! It's in the Bible, ain't it? [Linked Image] [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img]

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#1673 Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:59 AM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
I understand that if you play "much" of Country Music backwards your wife, dog, and trailer will come back? [Linked Image]

Reformed and Always Reforming,
Pilgrim #1674 Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:35 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Amen, brother:<br><br>But we need it in our hearts, eg: "and let the word of Christ richly dwell WITHIN you"<br>And that WITHIN is not just the mind, but the HEART.<br><br>Grace,<br><br>Gerry

J_Edwards #1675 Tue Mar 18, 2003 8:37 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Joe<br><br>Living in the Country music capital of the world, I find that hilarious!

#1676 Tue Mar 18, 2003 9:04 AM
Addict
Addict
Okay, thanks for the clarification. In short, I find nothing unbiblical about enjoying the product of an unbeliever on account of it being made by an unbeliever. The merits of each composition must stand on its own.

However, this is not to say the issue is always simplistic. While we might find some legitimate enjoyment in the product coming from an unbeliever, we also have to take into account to what degree that ought to be publicized so that both Christians and non-Christians do not get the wrong impression. I think it is easy to get polarized on this issue, thinking that one can only enjoy things that have a direct connection to "spiritual matters", or in the other direction that Christians can sanctify any garbage to God's glory by virtue of doing it as a Christian. Certainly the Scriptures direct us to meditate on whatever things are true, noble, just, pure, lovely, of good report, and anything having virtue or anything praiseworthy (Philippians 4:8). Can any of these qualities be found from time to time in the product of an unbeliever? I believe they can. Should we expect that Christians should primarily be those who yield such virtuous productions? I would hope so.

That's my $.02 [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img]. Sincerely in Christ,

Jason

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 77 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,390 Gospel truth