Donations for the month of August


We have received a total of "$0" in donations towards our goal of $175.


Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE


Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Meta4
Meta4
Canada
Posts: 98
Joined: May 2016
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,558
Posts54,075
Members972
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,245
Tom 4,250
chestnutmare 3,223
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,841
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 21
Pilgrim 18
jta 8
Meta4 2
John_C 1
Recent Posts
Armstrong First to step on the Moon
by Tom - Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:48 PM
Christian Nationalism
by Anthony C. - Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:59 PM
Musings
by Anthony C. - Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:06 PM
Thoughts on Backsliding ~ J.C. Ryle
by Rick Bates - Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:23 PM
Assurance of Justification
by NetChaplain - Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:59 AM
Suffering’s Solace
by NetChaplain - Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:52 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#33846 Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:50 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,615
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,615
this:

Quote
The central soteriological reality is union with the exalted Christ by Spirit-created faith. That is the nub, the essence, of the way or order of salvation for Paul. The center of Paul’s soteriology…is neither justification by faith nor sanctification, neither the imputation of Christ’s righteousness nor the renewing work of the Spirit. To draw that conclusion, however, is not to ‘de-center’ justification (or sanctification), as if justification is somehow less important for Paul than the Reformation claims. Justification is supremely important, it is absolutely crucial in Paul’s ‘gospel of salvation’ (cf. Eph. 1:13). Deny or distort his teaching on justification and that gospel ceases to be gospel; there is no longer saving ‘good news’ for sinners. But no matter how close justification is to the heart of Paul’s gospel, in our salvation, as he sees it, there is an antecedent consideration, a reality, that is deeper, more fundamental, more decisive, more crucial: Christ and our union with him, the crucified and resurrected, the exalted, Christ. Union with Christ by faith—that is the essence of Paul’s ordo salutis.


Reformed and Always Reforming,
J_Edwards #33847 Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:32 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,579
Veteran
Offline
Veteran
Joined: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,579
My initial thought was N. T. Wright...

And I did a search and, sadly, I am not surprised this was written by Richard Gaffin...


True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
MarieP #33848 Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:34 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,615
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,615
Quote
SemperReformanda said:
My initial thought was N. T. Wright...

And I did a search and, sadly, I am not surprised this was written by Richard Gaffin...
Yes, it is in his newest book, "By Faith, Not by Sight: Paul and the Order of Salvation" (Oakhill School of Theology Series).


Reformed and Always Reforming,
J_Edwards #33849 Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:36 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 14,246
Likes: 45
Head Honcho
Offline
Head Honcho
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 14,246
Likes: 45
What do I think of that statement? [Linked Image]

Sorry, but the keystone of Christianity always has been and always will be, "Sola Fide"; justification by faith alone in Christ alone. In fact, at least from my study of God's written Word, it is not union with Christ that sinners are to seek, but rather reconciliation with God through Christ which is secured by faith. It is God Who is the offended party and to whom we must either be reconciled through Christ or stand in judgment. Thus it is justification, by having Christ's righteousness imputed to us, that is most necessary.

No doubt some advocate of NPP, FV, etc., made that quote, no? <img src="/forum/images/graemlins/Ponder.gif" alt="" />

In His grace,


[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #33850 Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:46 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,615
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,615
Quote
Pilgrim said:
What do I think of that statement? [Linked Image]

Sorry, but the keystone of Christianity always has been and always will be, "Sola Fide"; justification by faith alone in Christ alone. In fact, at least from my study of God's written Word, it is not union with Christ that sinners are to seek, but rather reconciliation with God through Christ which is secured by faith. It is God Who is the offended party and to whom we must either be reconciled through Christ or stand in judgment. Thus it is justification, by having Christ's righteousness imputed to us, that is most necessary.

No doubt some advocate of NPP, FV, etc., made that quote, no? <img src="/forum/images/graemlins/Ponder.gif" alt="" />

In His grace,
Gaffin is its author. Here is a review of his latest book.


Reformed and Always Reforming,
J_Edwards #33851 Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:56 PM
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 14,246
Likes: 45
Head Honcho
Offline
Head Honcho
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 14,246
Likes: 45
Quote
J_Edwards said:
Gaffin is its author. Here is a review of his latest book.
Actually, this is not much of a surprise since Gaffin has been the subject of much controversy over the past several years in regard to his less than forthright stand on "justification". One might say that he has finally chosen to come out of the closet, which in one way is a good thing. I cannot help but wonder if Westminster Seminary will commit the same blunder as it did with its past dealings with Norman Shepherd now with Gaffin? Unfortunately, I have no real hope that there will be a swift and decisive action taken. [Linked Image]

In His grace,


[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
J_Edwards #33852 Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:18 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,040
Persnickety Presbyterian
Offline
Persnickety Presbyterian
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,040
How do we attain union with Christ by faith unless we are first justified in Him by faith??


Kyle

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified.
Pilgrim #33853 Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:24 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,615
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,615
Quote
Pilgrim said:
Quote
J_Edwards said:
Gaffin is its author. Here is a review of his latest book.
Actually, this is not much of a surprise since Gaffin has been the subject of much controversy over the past several years in regard to his less than forthright stand on "justification". One might say that he has finally chosen to come out of the closet, which in one way is a good thing. I cannot help but wonder if Westminster Seminary will commit the same blunder as it did with its past dealings with Norman Shepherd now with Gaffin? Unfortunately, I have no real hope that there will be a swift and decisive action taken. [Linked Image]

In His grace,
You are right. They are promoting his book at the WTS Bookstore: By Faith, Not by Sight: Paul and the Order of Salvation

Quote
A Westminster Bookstore staff pick, recommended by Assistant Manager Mark Traphagen. Mark says, "With the publication of By Faith, Not by Sight we finally have Dr. Gaffin’s rich 'theology of Paul' under one cover. In addition to its value as an important contribution to the sometimes volatile discussions of justification and the nature of salvation, this book serves as a model of the proper cooperation between biblical and systematic theology. Through careful exegesis Gaffin roots his understanding of justification and sanctification in union with Christ, through which the believer enjoys all the benefits of Christ’s death and resurrection.


Reformed and Always Reforming,
CovenantInBlood #33854 Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:26 PM
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,615
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Joined: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,615
Quote
CovenantInBlood said:
How do we attain union with Christ by faith unless we are first justified in Him by faith??
Exactly <img src="/forum/images/graemlins/bravo.gif" alt="" />


Reformed and Always Reforming,

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Tom), 59 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheSojourner, Larry, Nana Dadzie Jr., Cliniql, John E
972 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
August
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,359,163 Gospel truth