Donations for the month of August

We have received a total of "$0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Meta4
Meta4
Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,558
Posts54,075
Members972
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,245
Tom 4,250
chestnutmare 3,223
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,841
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 21
Pilgrim 18
jta 8
Meta4 2
John_C 1
Recent Posts
Armstrong First to step on the Moon
by Tom - Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:48 PM
Christian Nationalism
by Anthony C. - Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:59 PM
Musings
by Anthony C. - Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:06 PM
Thoughts on Backsliding ~ J.C. Ryle
by Rick Bates - Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:23 PM
Assurance of Justification
by NetChaplain - Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:59 AM
Suffering’s Solace
by NetChaplain - Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:52 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pilgrim #38798 Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:24 PM
Clint Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Pilgrim said:

III. This infallible assurance does not so belong to the essence of faith, but that a true believer may wait long, and conflict with many difficulties, before he be partaker of it:[10] yet, being enabled by the Spirit to know the things which are freely given him of God, he may, without extraordinary revelation in the right use of ordinary means, attain thereunto.[11] And therefore it is the duty of every one to give all diligence to make his calling and election sure,[12] that thereby his heart may be enlarged in peace and joy in the Holy Ghost, in love and thankfulness to God, and in strength and cheerfulness in the duties of obedience,[13] the proper fruits of this assurance; so far is it from inclining men to looseness.[14]

In His grace,

Does this excerpt imply that all of the elect will be made known that they are elect through a "general revelation"? What I mean is that will all elect hear the reformed ideals and in the end accept them and that is their "revelation" of the fact that they are elect? Or is it just stating that man will want to resist, but God and the Holy Spirit will still work its way and men shall be shown their sinfulness? I am not sure my question makes a whole lot of sense.. I hope it does because in my head it does, but after reading it im not so sure.. I will if need be try to better refine it.

Clint #38799 Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:04 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Clint said:
Pilgrim said:

III. This infallible assurance does not so belong to the essence of faith, but that a true believer may wait long, and conflict with many difficulties, before he be partaker of it:[10] yet, being enabled by the Spirit to know the things which are freely given him of God, he may, without extraordinary revelation in the right use of ordinary means, attain thereunto.[11] And therefore it is the duty of every one to give all diligence to make his calling and election sure,[12] that thereby his heart may be enlarged in peace and joy in the Holy Ghost, in love and thankfulness to God, and in strength and cheerfulness in the duties of obedience,[13] the proper fruits of this assurance; so far is it from inclining men to looseness.[14]

In His grace,

Does this excerpt imply that all of the elect will be made known that they are elect through a "general revelation"? What I mean is that will all elect hear the reformed ideals and in the end accept them and that is their "revelation" of the fact that they are elect? Or is it just stating that man will want to resist, but God and the Holy Spirit will still work its way and men shall be shown their sinfulness? I am not sure my question makes a whole lot of sense.. I hope it does because in my head it does, but after reading it im not so sure.. I will if need be try to better refine it.
Clint,

What that section above is saying is:

1. One can be saved without having a full assurance of their salvation.
2. That assurance may not come quickly nor easily to some but over time with much inner wrestling.
3. God doesn't whisper in the believer's ear and tell him/her that they are elect/saved. Rather, the Holy Spirit working within through the Word concerning the promises of God in Christ are opened to their minds and impressed upon their hearts.
4. One is to make use of the testimony of God in the Word; e.g., reading, hearing it preached, etc. in order to gain true and full assurance.
5. A true believer's life will be consistent with that holiness required and revealed in Scripture, albeit in part, and not be one of sinfulness, which can aid in the grasping of this assurance.

BTW, let us never forget that the perseverance of the saints is wholly dependent and grounded in God's preservation of the saints. It is Christ's DEFINITE atonement with which He secured ALL that is necessary for His sheep's salvation according to the Father's ETERNAL decree to save His people from their sins that is our first and foremost source of assurance. We are secured and secure in Him.

In His grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #38800 Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:54 PM
Clint Offline OP
Journeyman
OP Offline
Journeyman
Thank you for clarifying that for me.. It makes much more sense to me now.. (im not real good with reading "intelligent" stuff..) I am much more simple minded than much of the information given to me here.. I have a hard time understanding a lot of this but I thank you and the others here for helping better understand them.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Tom), 59 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheSojourner, Larry, Nana Dadzie Jr., Cliniql, John E
972 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
August
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,359,163 Gospel truth