Donations for the month of October

We have received a total of "$0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,297
Posts53,251
Members964
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,043
Tom 4,044
chestnutmare 3,086
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,818
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 23
Tom 12
Robin 5
Johan 3
Readin 2
Meta4 1
Recent Posts
NeoCalvinism
by Tom - Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:18 PM
The Nick-name Calvinism
by Tom - Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:44 PM
Natural Theology
by Anthony C. - Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:47 AM
Wilderness Wealth
by NetChaplain - Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:57 AM
Your opinion please
by Johan - Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:03 AM
True of False
by NetChaplain - Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:26 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#40698 Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:35 AM
john Offline OP
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
How would you react to the statement "The primary purpose of the church is evangelism"? I heard it said at church yesterday, but I don't think I agree with it. What is the primary purpose of the church?

John

Head Honcho
Online Content
Head Honcho
John,

I too would have to disagree with this statement. The Church is the body of Christ to which sinners are called to become members and in which they are to worship God (primary purpose) and grow in knowledge, faith and holiness. See how Paul states it here:

Ephesians 4:8-15 (ASV) "Wherefore he saith, When he ascended on high, he led captivity captive, And gave gifts unto men. (Now this, He ascended, what is it but that he also descended into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended far above all the heavens, that he might fill all things.) And he gave some [to be] apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; for the perfecting of the saints, unto the work of ministering, unto the building up of the body of Christ: till we all attain unto the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a fullgrown man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: that we may be no longer children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, in craftiness, after the wiles of error; but speaking truth in love, we may grow up in all things into him, who is the head, [even] Christ;"

Summarizing this passage one could rightly say that one of the primary purposes of the Church is the "perfecting of the saints" for the work of ministry. Evangelism is but one responsibility of the members of the Church. It cannot be shown to be THE PRIMARY purpose. Believers are called to be separate from the world, to set one day apart, the Sabbath (Sunday), to gather together to worship the one true God where the preaching of the Word is central. As a result of having worshipped God where God speaks to His people via the preaching/teaching of the Word, they are thus up-built and equipped to go back into the world to work, play, etc., and evangelize in their respective callings.

In His grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Journeyman
Journeyman
How would you react to the statement "The primary purpose of the church is evangelism"? I heard it said at church yesterday...
If that is true the church will have to loose its primary purpose in heaven.

Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
John

Would your pastor be open to you going to him to seek clarification on why he stated that?
A previous pastor I had, actually liked it when people actually went to him and respectfully questioned what he said. He looked at it as a positive thing, being that at least he knew that some didn't just believe things that he said, without at least checking them out for themselves.

Tom

john Offline OP
Addict
OP Offline
Addict
Tom said:
John

Would your pastor be open to you going to him to seek clarification on why he stated that?
A previous pastor I had, actually liked it when people actually went to him and respectfully questioned what he said. He looked at it as a positive thing, being that at least he knew that some didn't just believe things that he said, without at least checking them out for themselves.

Tom

Tom: We are still deciding on a church, so I would not call him my pastor. I have already discussed a number of issues with him and has seemed open about questions. I may seek clarification on this issue too. However, there are a number of other issues I am concerned about that will probably take precedence.

Pilgrim: My views tend to mirror what you wrote. Thanks.

John

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 153 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
atdcross, NetChaplain, winslowlady, Zach, Daverogk
964 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
October
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,294,159 Gospel truth