Donations for the month of June

We have received a total of "$0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,526
Posts53,964
Members969
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,219
Tom 4,220
chestnutmare 3,211
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,838
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 13
Tom 10
jta 8
John_C 3
Meta4 3
Recent Posts
Preachers of old
by ATulipNotADaisy - Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:12 PM
Nicene Creed Question
by Tom - Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:56 AM
Roe is Dead. Praise God!!!!
by Tom - Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:43 PM
Travel Story
by Tom - Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:23 PM
The Spiritual Profit of Fuller Delight in God's Perfections
by Pilgrim - Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:07 AM
how often we fall, even when our intention is good
by chestnutmare - Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:04 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#40875 Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:49 AM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life

Apparently I have caused my wife quite a few awkward moments in the last few years.
Just recently she was with a group of her Christian friends and the subject of the book 'The Shack' came up. My wife commented that Tom didn't like the theology of the author of the book. One of the women said (while rolling her eyes), Tom and theology...
This is the first time she has shared something like this concern with me, but because she wanted me to know what many think of me, so I could think about how I relate to others. She was not saying this to hurt me and I didn’t take it that way.

I am curious if any others have had this kind of thing happen to them since "theology" really started to mean something to you.
I have to admit that before I discovered Reformed theology, many Christians used to come to me a fair amount and share things with me. Now however, those times are few and far between.
My first inclination is to just chalk it up to Christians not wanting to discuss anything deep when it comes to theology. However, seeing as how I want to make sure that it isn't something in me, rather than my theology that might be offensive, I thought I would share this concern with other Reformed Christians.
One thing I have made a practice of doing in the last year or so, when I write an e-mail or are in a discussion about theology, is to tell them to be honest with me. If they would rather not have me discuss a topic such as this, please let me know. Yet, despite this, I have yet to get a response pro or con back.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Tom

Tom #40876 Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:41 AM
Plebeian
Plebeian
Theology is important. So is how we treat others.

No matter how kind Jesus was in how he healed the sick, raised the dead etc. He was still under the condemnation of the religious who couldn't understand His theology.

Personal examination is good to see if we display love along with correct theology. Then go on and continue to teach and share the truth. If someone said you shared correct theology but fell short on showing love, that would be a shame. But, if all they say is 'Tom and theology', that doesn't sound like an accusation of coldness.

This comment reveals a heart that doesn't appreciate the 'pearls' of truth in God's Word. There will always be women who love the fluff of fellowship but have no desire for the real reason for a fellowship, to promote God's Word in each others lives.
I am sure with some good teaching on that, you can guide a true lamb into a more mature attitude.

Jude 3
...contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints.
Readin #40877 Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:20 PM
I believe you are spot on when you say that most Christians don't want to discuss or even investigate deeper matters of doctrine and theology. I was such a believer myself for many years, content to remain ignorant in a feel-good evangelical church hearing a stump speech for Jesus every Sunday morning.

And that is why you sense some rejection from others and experience these awkward moments, as you call them. Just make sure that your speech is "full of grace, seasoned with salt" as it says in Colossians. Like me, I believe your wife and others will some day yearn for more understanding of God's Word and ways. This is what has lead me to Reformed theology and writings.

Relztrah #40878 Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:43 PM
Plebeian
Plebeian
That rejection isn't personal. But by instinct some back away from meat because they are only able to digest milk.

I think being drawn to Reformed Theology can also be the result the Holy Spirit working and drawing us to His Truth.

Waking up and realizing my church was all fluff and no substance was a rude awakening to me.

I looked around and saw every church in my town in the same situation.

Reformed theology is biblical, that's why it brings in the sheep who are sick of fluff.

May the Lord continue to gather His sheep and wake up His sleepy ones.

Jude 3
...contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints.
Readin #40879 Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:32 PM
I agee with the posts thus far. I believe the reason some folks have trouble with reformed theology is:
1)It takes some deep thought as has been stated and many have developed laziness in thinking and I might even say, have never developed the ability to think deeply about anything, as our culture (tv, movies, internet) bombards us with sensory overload and doesn't require one to think at all.
2)Man recoils from giving all credit for salvation to God alone, as our flesh wants to take some credit. Martin Luther said " after 20 yrs. of preaching and teaching the gospel of grace, I still feel the old clinging dirt of wanting to offer something to God that would make Him love me more."
It is so refreshing when I meet someone like-minded who loves reformed doctrine and gets excited talking about it.

Be killing sin or it will be killing you. John Owen
muchforgiven #40880 Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:43 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
muchforgiven,

Well said, but I guess I would probably reverse the order, thus:

1) Man innately hates the very idea of a sovereign God and strives to maintain his deluded ideas of autonomy. As it has been said many times here: "In the beginning, God created man in His own image. And ever since that day, man has been trying to return the favor."

2) Typically, when you ask someone to exercise that muscle between their ears, they inevitably will experience a "Charlie Horse", due to the brains lack of use. [Linked Image]

In His grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 48 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Cliniql, John E, ManassehAmerican, jta, DiscipleEddie
969 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
June
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,348,714 Gospel truth