Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Originally Posted by Robert
I am not sure how unique that it was given that we don't have any idea of how often this happened. Acts doesn't detail every single conversion that occurred.
Speculation about that which is not revealed has led many astray and/or to fail to embrace that which IS revealed. (cf. Deut 29:29) Jesus Christ taught His disciples ALL that the Father had given Him. Paul failed not to preach the "whole counsel of God". John admits "And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself would not contain the books that should be written." (Jh 21:25)

The Lord God by His Spirit has put into writing ALL that is necessary for our faith and practice. There is a divine and perfect reason no other such account has been recorded in Scripture. Thus, we are to receive what is revealed as being sufficient for our "teaching, for reproof, for correction, for instruction which is in righteousness." (2Tim 3:16) The account is unique, as designed and purposed by God. Further, IF one was to ignore its uniqueness and construct a polity concerning who, what and where baptism should be administered, it would have to be in harmony, via the Analogy of Faith, with the other historical narratives and didactic passages which teach that the Spirit has assigned Elders to be responsible for this task. wink

Would you consider the Cornelius account unique?

Persnickety Presbyterian
Persnickety Presbyterian
Originally Posted by "Robert"

Yep! wink

Kyle

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified.
Originally Posted by CovenantInBlood

Yep! wink

So you must then say that a person is saved after baptism, right?

Persnickety Presbyterian
Persnickety Presbyterian
Originally Posted by CovenantInBlood

Yep! wink

So you must then say that a person is saved after baptism, right?

No. nope Why would I need to say that? What I can say, however, is that to demand that someone speak in tongues prior to being baptized on the basis of this account, for example, is fallacious because the circumstances are unique.

But now we're moving [Linked Image] ! If you want to continue to discuss the baptisms of the Ethiopian eunuch and of Cornelius, start a new thread, please.

Kyle

In Acts 2 the more normal circumstances occur: the Holy Spirit is recieved *after baptism*. In Acts 10, it is recieved before. It parallels the Eunuch's case.

Persnickety Presbyterian
Persnickety Presbyterian
In Acts 2 the more normal circumstances occur: the Holy Spirit is recieved *after baptism*. In Acts 10, it is recieved before. It parallels the Eunuch's case.

Again, if you want to continue the discussion on baptism, start a new topic!

Kyle

Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Johan
I found today a sheet of paper laying around with the following on it:

The importance of going to church

• Furthermore, we draw near with our lips

I wonder if they actually know the context in which that phrase was spoken? Hmmmm... bingo

Yes, the chief importance of why we go to church is because there is a God who is worthy of all our worship, a Savior to be magnified! Yes, we are edified and encouraged in worship, but why?

1 Peter 2
1 Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking, 2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, 3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious.
4 Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious, 5 you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 Therefore it is also contained in the Scripture,
"Behold, I lay in Zion
A chief cornerstone, elect, precious,
And he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame."
7 Therefore, to you who believe, He is precious; but to those who are disobedient,
"The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief cornerstone,"
8 and
"A stone of stumbling
And a rock of offense."
They stumble, being disobedient to the word, to which they also were appointed.
9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light; 10 who once were not a people but are now the people of God, who had not obtained mercy but now have obtained mercy.

I don't see any "me pleasing" in this passage, nor in the books of Hebrews or Revelation. Or Acts. Or Psalms. Or...

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
Plebeian
Plebeian
I thought that was interesting that you have been researching the New Age groups. I completed about 20 years of research on that and I teach World Religion for University of Phoenix if I can help.

Doc

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 121 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,511,090 Gospel truth