Donations for the month of January

We have received a total of "$25" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Mckinley
Mckinley
Ga. U.S.A.
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,367
Posts53,552
Members968
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,126
Tom 4,130
chestnutmare 3,100
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,823
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 32
Pilgrim 29
jta 23
Robin 2
Meta4 2
Recent Posts
PM Trudeau on Fundamental Rights
by Tom - Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:14 PM
Charismatics and Government Vaccine Mandates
by jta - Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:19 AM
News Media in Canada
by Tom - Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:50 PM
Where are they now?
by Pilgrim - Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:24 AM
Like Father, Like Son
by NetChaplain - Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:15 PM
The Great Reset
by Pilgrim - Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:44 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Pilgrim #44079 Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:36 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
What needs to be remembered, at least is:

1. The Scriptures are to be the sole and final authority in all matters of faith and practice.
2. The Sabbath is a creation ordinance that existed long before Sinai and thus it is binding upon all men everywhere.
3. The Fourth Commandment is immovably wedged between 9 moral commandments and cannot be extricated from them and relegated to the ceremonial law.
4. There is NT evidence that the Sabbath was kept by Jesus Christ and defended both in its perpetuity but also in how it should be rightly practiced contra the Pharisaical addenda which were oppressive, never mind heretical and not according to the purpose for which God instituted the Sabbath Day.
5. Lastly, "Beloved, believe not every spirit (teaching), but try the spirits (teachings) whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."
Thank you, Pilgrim. Absolutely right! BigThumbUp I've been involved on the 'other forum' mentioned by Tom, and we've been bombarded with selective quotes from Luther and Calvin. 'To the law and to the Testimony!'

Also, the truth is not established by 'It is written,' but by 'It is written again' (Matt 3:6-7 ). Even the devil can pull a text out of context and use it to his purpose. Scripture must be established by Scripture.

Steve

Itinerant Preacher & Bible Teacher in Merrie England.
1689er.
Blogging at
http://marprelate.wordpress.com
Pilgrim #44080 Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:13 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
K,

Yep, interesting article but the reviewer never challenged Gaffin's quotes nor conclusion. He simply accepted what Gaffin wrote at face value which is a fatal mistake especially on a subject that is so hotly debated.

Thank you for your 'review of the review!' As I said, I really don't understand the implications of Gaffin's view or even Nathan's review of Gaffin's view. I have no working understanding of the controversy regarding Calvin's view of the Sabbath, let alone Calvin's view of the Sabbath itself! I just thought of this thread when I read it and thought it might be of interest to the participants of this thread.

I DO, however, agree 100% with your list of things to be remembered!

Trust the past to God's mercy, the present to God's love and the future to God's providence." - St. Augustine
Hiraeth
gotribe #44081 Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:38 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Actually, the issue is quite simple... There are those today who reject the historic Reformed view of the Sabbath as stated in the Westminster Standards, the LBCF, Savoy, and other confessions, i.e., the Sabbath is the Fourth Commandment which is perpetually binding upon all men and especially believers albeit the day was changed to the first day of the week, aka: the Lord's Day.

In this particular case, Gaffin and others are maintaining that "true" Calvinism, i.e., that which originated with Calvin and the other magisterial Reformers was not the same as the view later espoused by the Puritans. Thus, those who adhere to the formulation of Sabbatarianism from the WCF, etc., are in error and not embracing historic Calvinism. Thus Gaffin and others attempt to show that Calvin's view was different and secondly it is to be preferred over the Puritan view. Some go so far as to claim that Calvin actually bowled on Sunday. [Linked Image] It is truly amazing how far some will go to justify their rejection of the Fourth Commandment.

Even if it were true that Calvin held to a libertarian view of the Sabbath or even if he rejected it outright, which is certainly not the case, John Calvin isn't the "standard" which a Christian should look to for matters of doctrine or practice. Fortunately, men such as Stuart Lauer have challenged Gaffin's understanding of Calvin's view of the Sabbath and shown most effectively that John Calvin held to the same view of the Sabbath/Fourth Commandment as the Puritans which is firmly grounded in the Scriptures.

So, there you have a summary of the controversy in a nutshell. grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #44082 Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:41 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Even if it were true that Calvin held to a libertarian view of the Sabbath or even if he rejected it outright, which is certainly not the case, John Calvin isn't the "standard" which a Christian should look to for matters of doctrine or practice.

That's the bottom line, isn't it?

(Besides, I thought it was Martin Luther who was the bowler. . . laugh

Trust the past to God's mercy, the present to God's love and the future to God's providence." - St. Augustine
Hiraeth
gotribe #44087 Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:19 AM
Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.My church is in the midst of a study of the LBCF on Sunday nights.Next week we take up the chapter concerning the Sabbath.With all that I have gleaned from this site I think that I am now well prepared.
This is the very reason that I would continue to encourage each one to contribute so that we might have a resource such as we now do.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (John_C), 76 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
John E, ManassehAmerican, jta, DiscipleEddie, atdcross
968 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
January
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Today's Birthdays
Ken_Smith, Mckinley
Popular Topics(Views)
1,317,392 Gospel truth