Donations for the month of October

We have received a total of "$0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Johan
Johan
South Africa
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,298
Posts53,257
Members964
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,047
Tom 4,048
chestnutmare 3,086
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,818
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 26
Tom 13
Robin 5
Johan 3
Readin 2
Recent Posts
NeoCalvinism
by Pilgrim - Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:17 PM
The Gospel of the Glory
by NetChaplain - Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:34 AM
The Nick-name Calvinism
by Pilgrim - Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:06 PM
Natural Theology
by Anthony C. - Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:47 AM
Wilderness Wealth
by NetChaplain - Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:57 AM
Your opinion please
by Johan - Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:03 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
Some has said it translates as 'follower of Christ'; I've also seen it as 'believers'.

What's behind me asking is that I saw a FB entry that makes me uncomfortable. A friend posted a portion of 1 Corinthians 13, and he cited "Paul a follower of Jesus (in 1 Cor. 13)" as the source. In my thinking that citation takes away from Scripture as being God-breathed and it sounds as if the follower is the active agent. Maybe I am being too nit-picky here, especially if the Greek for Christian is 'follower of Christ.

Is this a new fad?

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
John,

The word 'Christian(s)' [Christianos] only appears in three places in the NT; Acts 11:26; 26:28; 1Pet 4:16. It is most always understood to mean "follower of Christ".

A 'follower' must be an active agent, no? who is moved along by the indwelling Spirit (Phil 2:12,13).

Can you explain what is bothering you with this phrase, "follower of Christ", a little more than you have? grin

What could also be true is that there is a 'new fad' as you put it coming on the scene that has a different understanding of what it means to be a Christian. shrug

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
What bother me is this.

Referencing the quote by "Paul a follower of Jesus (in 1 Cor. 13)" instead of just by 1 Cor. 13.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
John,

I see nothing in 1Cor 13 that has the phrase or anything related to "Paul a follower of Jesus". There is a similar phrase in 1Cor 11:1:

1 Corinthians 11:1 (KJV) "Be ye followers of me, even as I also [am] of Christ."

The word "followers" in the Greek mimetes I think is better translated by "imitators", which is how the ASV translates it. We get our word, "mimic" from this.

And lastly, I'm still not clear what is bothering you. You may have a legitimate concern, but I'm not able to grasp what it is from what you have shared thus far. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
I saw this posted by a friend in FB.
Love is patient.
Love is kind.
It does not envy. It does not boast.
It is not proud. It is not rude.
It is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
...Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.
- Paul, a follower of Jesus (quoted from 1st Corinthians, chapter 13)

What bothers me is citing the source of the quote as Paul, a follower of Jesus (quoted from 1st Corinthians). What's wrong with just citing 1 Corinthians 13 as the source.

John Chaney

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by John_C
What bothers me is citing the source of the quote as Paul, a follower of Jesus (quoted from 1st Corinthians). What's wrong with just citing 1 Corinthians 13 as the source.
John,

Technically, you are correct in that Paul in 1Corinthins 13 does not hold himself up as a follower of Christ. The standard of love which is the specific subject of the passage is Christ, for nothing short of perfect love is acceptable. It probably would have been more accurate of the person who applied that phrase, "Paul, a follower of Christ" to have simply quoted the text and left it there. Paul always points to the Lord Christ of whom he is only a follower. Why settle for anything less than He who is the embodiment of love?? scratchchin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Persnickety Presbyterian
Persnickety Presbyterian
John,

Yes, there is a fad amongst certain sectors of evangelicalism to refer to "Christians" as "followers of Jesus." It dissociates them from "organized religion" & "dogma." Typically people who call themselves by this name are wishy-washy on doctrine & practice, emphasizing a vague understanding of "love" over all else. I don't know your friend's intentions, but I think you are correct that the form of his citation does take away from the God-breathed nature of Scripture, intentional or not. Paul, rather than an apostle writing his letter under divine inspiration, is instead a mere "follower of Jesus." We may be able to learn from him, but we are all mere "followers of Jesus," each with our own journeys of faith, so we may understand things differently than Paul in at least some areas. That's the subtle implication.

Kyle

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified.
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Good observation! BigThumbUp

Yes, this could be just yet another attempt to "individualize" Christianity even more than Evangelicalism has done already. And, in addition to minimize or even ignore the corporate reality of the Church as an organization apart from the Church as an organism.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 38 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
atdcross, NetChaplain, winslowlady, Zach, Daverogk
964 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
October
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
CovenantInBlood
Popular Topics(Views)
1,295,710 Gospel truth