Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#46919 Mon Jul 04, 2011 12:25 AM
Tom Online Content OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Online Content
Needs to get a Life
ranton
Something that has bothered me for quite some time, is that when I talk to a lot of Christians today (especially via Face Book or e-mail), I am accused of trying to talk above others heads, by using big words that very few Christians understand, or are even interested in.

Recently after seeing this kind of response, I went over my words to see if there might be some truth to this on my part. Other than the fact I quoted the AV Bible, because it was what was handy at the time; I saw absolutely nothing that I found that should be above anyone's head.
In my way of thinking, when I see words that I am not sure about, I either ask what the word means, or I look in a dictionary. I also look at it as a chance to expand my vocabulary, not to accuse someone of trying to speak over my head.
What is even more confusing to me about this matter is that I have heard this kind of thing by people that have a lot more education than I do and whom I would consider smarter than myself.
I once heard someone say that unless we use language that even a child can understand without asking questions, then whether we like it or not, we are alienating people.
In my way of thinking this is not only bad advice, it dumbs down the language.
Am I all wet?
Has anyone else run into this kind of thing?
rantoff

Tom

Tom #46922 Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:05 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Tom,

On the rare occasion I get hassled for 'speaking over people's heads', but that is expected when those people only stand 4' tall. [Linked Image]

But yes, there is one particular individual I know that sometimes chides me for saying things he doesn't comprehend. The irony is, this person often goes on and on about how much he knows about biblical doctrine. Yet, when I answer a question he asks, which are typically endless, and it goes against something he believes, then that's when I get the chiding and along with it the pseudo admission that he isn't a very educated man, aka: I want my cake and eat it too response.

Most often I try and take into consideration the individual(s) I'm speaking too and adjust my vocabulary accordingly. However, I rarely fore-go using biblical terms, e.g., justification, imputation, foreordination, predestination, etc. I also make it a point when using theological terms, which I suspect will be foreign to the hearer(s) to give a brief definition of it/them as I go along, aka: teach. Yet, what I've found to be true are the following:

1. Most people aren't really listening anyway, or at least carefully so it doesn't matter.
2. Most people won't say anything if they don't understand a word, phrase, concept, etc., and for two main reasons, a) Pride, b) apathy.
3. The few that do speak up and complain about speaking over their heads with $2 words aren't really interested in learning anything about God.
4. And lastly, there are an even rarer few who will speak up and admit they are a bit in the dark but they would really, honestly like you to clarify and expand on what you said because they have a hunger to learn and to know more.

In short, ignore the majority of those who complain about using big words if in fact you aren't using them. Usually, all they want to hear is "God is love and desires to have a relationship with everyone." igiveup

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #46925 Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:31 AM
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley
rofl

Tom, perhaps you can distinguish those who are sincerely interested in what you have to say by asking you what you mean from those who are not interested and merely taking a swipe at you. One should consider his hearers when deciding whether or not to interject those BIG WORDS, keeping in mind your intent for using them. i.e. You wouldn't necessarily use a $2 word as Pilgrim put it, on a young child or to intentionally confuse an adult. It also would not be prudent to dumb down your presentation simply because a hearer is unwilling to use the gray matter they have between their ears.

You can safely use those BIG WORDS here if you want to. einstein

The Chestnut Mare
chestnutmare #46928 Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:40 PM
Persnickety Presbyterian
Persnickety Presbyterian
Originally Posted by chestnutmare
You can safely use those BIG WORDS here if you want to. einstein

Amen. wink

Kyle

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified.
CovenantInBlood #46929 Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:58 PM
Addict
Addict
Tom, the real problem is the dearth of your rhetoric designated in support of popular eschatological theories.

Hitch #46930 Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:29 PM
It's really an ethical wash. Tweedle-dumb thinks you're rude by using vocabulary he doesn't understand and then displays his own lack of manners by requesting you to accomodate his lack of education. But it's more than that. Let's consider the contempt by:

1. the unathletic for the athletic (stupid jock!)

2. the weakling for the body builder (muscle-bound creep!)

3. the ingnoramous for the well-informed (know it all!)

4. the ne'er-do-well for the prudent and accomplished (overachiever!)

And I could go on and on. How about the contempt error has for truth? Or the devil has for God?

Yes, there is a common thread here. The lesser always protests the greater, the cowardly the bold, the impious the righteous, the children of wrath the children of God. It's a given that as you accumulate skills, accolades, maturity, wisdom, wealth, and respect, people will want to tear you down to their level, envying what you worked so diligently to gain. Your success is a daily reminder of their failure and imprudence. You invested your talent while they buried theirs in the ground.

This even becomes political as we note that an evil tide of coveteousness has swept America. Despised is the entreprenuer who saves up money, takes a risk to start a business, works 16 hour days to get it off the ground, living as a pauper. 10 years later he's a millionaire, one of the "millionaires and billionaires" that President Obama and the envious liberals say need to be punished.

I'm sorry if I seem nebulous, but the topic of this OP has tenticles in many other topics as well. At the heart of this topic is rebellion, the fruits of a reprobate mind. At the heart of it is Lucifer, perpetually making his case that he was kicked out of heaven on a raw deal when in truth, he was expigated because he pursued something that didn't belong to him. The devil's followers will by nature follow suit, hating truth and righteousness, insisting that they are entitled to something they didn't merit, and then using every tactic from deception to blunt force to wrench away for themselves what doesn't belong to them. Is it any wonder that God hates coveteousness and ordained a commandment against it?

I wax philosophical, but this topic is a philosophical goldmine.

Liberalism -- Ideas so good, they have to be mandated.
via_dolorosa #46932 Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:19 PM
One more note.

I read your OP one more time and noticed that sadly, you are getting this flak from Christians. This only shows the far encroaching effect of the devil's cause that even Christians who should know better unwittingly employ the tactics of the enemy. Every word I come across that I don't know, I look up in the dictionary. I don't envy skilled orators, I strive to be more like them. Every Christians should.

Liberalism -- Ideas so good, they have to be mandated.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth