Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Originally Posted by Cranmer
Calvin answered your objection clearly. You seem to be more afraid of the Arminians than of God:
More ad hominem slurs? igiveup

Again, I have to conclude that you are a Supralapsarian and thus hold that the first in the order of God's eternal decree was to predestinate some men as elect unto eternal life and the remainder as reprobate unto eternal damnation WITHOUT any reference to the Fall. Would that be correct in your case? I asked this question previously, but never got a reply. shrug

I don't think you understand what an ad hominem is. I don't believe I attacked you as a person. I simply pointed out that your accusation that I misrepresent God as a "monster" who programs men as "robots" is the Arminian argument against Calvinism. You seem to agree with them and disagree with Calvin and with Scripture. The pot cannot accuse the Potter of anything whatsoever. That's a foolish move at best. (Romans 9:18-22).

In regards to the infralapsarian and supralapsarian views, it should be pointed out that this is an argument about the "logical" order of God's decrees, not the temporal order as they unfold in historical time. Thus, both infralapsarianism and supralapsarianism hold to double predestination before the creation of the world. Unconditional election and reprobation both occur before creation by both infralapsarianism and supralapsarian views on the decrees.

So I have to ask exactly what is your point here?

There are many supralapsarians out there, including Robert L. Reymond. Is infralapsarianism another of your tests of fellowship?

Also, since the three points of common grace are not a test of Calvinism as it is defined in the Reformed confessions of faith, I will take it as unnecessary for me or any other Calvinist to hold to those semi-Arminian doctrines, including the dialectical theology of Van Til and the "free" offer. From God's perspective there is never a possibility of salvation for the reprobate. To confuse man's ignorance of God's decrees to election and reprobation with God's decrees and God's omniscience is therefore bad theology.

Sincerely in Christ,

Charlie

For "who has known the mind of the LORD that he may instruct Him?" But we have the mind of Christ. (1 Corinthians 2:16 NKJ)
Journeyman
Journeyman
The idea that salvation is synergistic is indeed Arminianism. Salvation is completely of God. Salvation is all of God. Even our subsequent "cooperation" is a monergistic working of God in the elect:

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. (Philippians 2:12-13 NKJ)

God knows everything we will do before we do it and He knows all the number of our days. In other words, our entire life is already laid out and God knows it all from before the creation of the world and on to eternity in heaven:

<For the Chief Musician. A Psalm of David.> O LORD, You have searched me and known me. 2 You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off. 3 You comprehend my path and my lying down, And are acquainted with all my ways. 4 For there is not a word on my tongue, But behold, O LORD, You know it altogether. 5 You have hedged me behind and before, And laid Your hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; It is high, I cannot attain it. 7 Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? 8 If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there. 9 If I take the wings of the morning, And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, 10 Even there Your hand shall lead me, And Your right hand shall hold me. 11 If I say, "Surely the darkness shall fall on me," Even the night shall be light about me; 12 Indeed, the darkness shall not hide from You, But the night shines as the day; The darkness and the light are both alike to You. 13 For You formed my inward parts; You covered me in my mother's womb. 14 I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well. 15 My frame was not hidden from You, When I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the lowest parts of the earth. 16 Your eyes saw my substance, being yet unformed. And in Your book they all were written, The days fashioned for me, When as yet there were none of them. (Psalm 139:1-16 NKJ)

For "who has known the mind of the LORD that he may instruct Him?" But we have the mind of Christ. (1 Corinthians 2:16 NKJ)
Journeyman
Journeyman
In God's mind there is no succession of thoughts in time as man thinks in temporal succession. God never learns anything since God already knows everything there is to know. God is omnisicent. So when Genesis 1:1 one says, "In the beginning God created ..." that would imply that God already knew all the intricate details of creation, history, and everything that would happen. This world is the only possible world that God could have created because God is immutable. He could not have created any other possible world without changing His being and purposes. God's will is immutable just as His being is immutable.

Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley
Charlie, I'd like to welcome you to the Discussion Board and direct you to the FAQ section above where you will find more information about how this Board functions and our rules for conduct and posting.

I noticed that Pilgrim has asked you the same question twice and you still have not answered.

I too would like you to respond to that question.

The Chestnut Mare
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley
There is no lack of understanding as to what "ad hominem" means Charlie. You may consider yourself to be erudite, but you have presented yourself as being quite pugnacious and rude, to the extent that I am losing interest in what you have to say. You seem to fear identifying your position as a supralapsarian and come across as being quite rude in the process. I say there is no call for that behavior.

The Chestnut Mare
Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by Tom
Mark

If you have ever done any reading of CH Spurgeon, then according to your reasoning, you must conclude that he was an Arminian.

Tom

Spurgeon was not entirely consistent in his Calvinism.

Journeyman
Journeyman
A man must do something before he can be JUSTIFIED,

Since dead men cannot regenerate themselves, you must be talking about something that occurs after regeneration. (John 3:3-8). But since anything we do is itself a gift of God, how does your "work" of doing fit in?

"I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. (John 15:5 NKJ)

Even our faith is not of our own "doing" but is itself a gift of God:

For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9 not of works, lest anyone should boast. (Ephesians 2:8-9 NKJ)

Faith is not a "work" that we "do" in order to be justified. Faith is a gift of God and it is the instrument by which God applies justification. Faith is NOT the ground of our justification nor is it something we DO to be justified. It is the means by which God justifies His elect. The GROUND or basis of justification is the objective work of Christ on the cross. The MEANS of justification is our faith, a faith that we take no credit for because it too is a divine gift given ONLY to the elect.

Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He sent." (John 6:29 NKJ)

Jesus says it is the work of God that results in our believing, not our doing or working by which we give ourselves belief or faith.

10. At length, after they have wearied themselves with perverting Scripture, they have recourse to subtleties and sophisms. One cavil is, that faith is somewhere called a work ( [John 6:29] ); hence they infer that we are in error in opposing faith to works; as if faith, regarded as obedience to the divine will, could by its own merit procure our justification, and did not rather, by embracing the mercy of God, thereby seal upon our hearts the righteousness of Christ, which is offered to us in the preaching of the gospel. Institutes of the Christian Religion, Book 3, Chapter 18, Section 10

A little below that Calvin clearly rejects faith as the "one work" that justifies a man:

The righteousness of works consists in perfect obedience to the law. Hence you cannot be justified by works unless you follow this straight line (if I may so call it) during the whole course of your life. The moment you decline from it you have fallen into unrighteousness. Hence it appears, that righteousness is not obtained by a few works, but by an indefatigable and inflexible observance of the divine will. But the rule with regard to unrighteousness is very different. The adulterer or the thief is by one act guilty of death, because he offends against the majesty of God. The blunder of these arguers of ours lies here: they attend not to the words of James, “Whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all. For he that said, Do not commit adultery, said also, Do not kill,” &c. ( [James 2:10, 11] ). Therefore, it should not seem absurd when we say that death is the just recompense of every sin, because each sin merits the just indignation and vengeance of God. But you reason absurdly if you infer the converse, that one good work will reconcile a man to God notwithstanding of his meriting wrath by many sins. Institutes, Book 3, Chapter 18, section 10.

Faith is not a work we do to justify ourselves before God. It is the means God uses to apply the objective justification of the cross and Christ's active obedience to us.

Charlie

Journeyman
Journeyman
Originally Posted by chestnutmare
There is no lack of understanding as to what "ad hominem" means Charlie. You may consider yourself to be erudite, but you have presented yourself as being quite pugnacious and rude, to the extent that I am losing interest in what you have to say. You seem to fear identifying your position as a supralapsarian and come across as being quite rude in the process. I say there is no call for that behavior.

I don't believe I've called anyone "pugnacious or rude". That is an excellent example of the ad hominem fallacy, by the way.

I believe I was clear in affirming that I am both a supralapsarian and a Scripturalist. I believe that the Bible IS God's Word, not simply an analogy of God's revelation. The Bible is the plenary-verbal revelation of God in written form. If we cannot know what God thinks by what He reveals in the words of Scripture, then we cannot know anything about God at all.

What is interesting, however, is that you so quickly resort to emotive arguments rather than supporting from my comments where you think I was rude, pugnacious, or exhibiting bad behavior? I believe what I did was support what I said from Scripture and from pertinent quotes from Calvin.

If being rational is "rude" in your opinion, then probably the logic of God's Word is "rude" as well? The Bible clearly says that we are to be logical and rational when contending for the truth.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God. (Romans 12:1-2 NKJ)

The word for "reasonable" in Romans 12:1, btw, means "logical":

3050 logiko,j logikos {log-ik-os'}
Meaning: 1) pertaining to speech or speaking 2) pertaining to the reason or logic 2a) spiritual, pertaining to the soul 2b) agreeable to reason, following reason, reasonable, logical
Origin: from 3056; TDNT - 4:142,505; adj
Usage: AV - reasonable 1, of the word 1; 2
There are no notes for this verse.

Beloved, while I was very diligent to write to you concerning our common salvation, I found it necessary to write to you exhorting you to contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all delivered to the saints. (Jude 1:3 NKJ)

Journeyman
Journeyman
When someone uses the word "require" or "required" that is an imperative mood even in English. So bascially all you're saying is that faith and believing are "commanded" in the Bible. But a command given in Scripture in no way implies that those who receive the command are able to obey it. The doctrine of total inability is that no one is able to respond unless they are first born again and then given irresistible grace to come to Christ.

(John 3:3-8; 6:37-44, 65; Matthew 22:14).

Plebeian
Plebeian
When the Spirit of God comes into a man in salvation, there is a change that occurs to his nature on account of the fact that the Spirit lives in him. In that changed nature one loves righteousness, because it has been revealed to him and in that revelation of righteousness one loves the Truth and knows all things, because the Spirit of Truth lives in him (he is now a slave to righteousness). And so we grow in the Christian experience into what we fundamentally know, more and more putting away the contradictions that we naturally assume for the Truth that we have been made to love. One whose nature is changed is made to do good works (yes, the will is fully engaged here). Such a one not only repents intellectually, but repents by changing behavior that is contrary to righteousness, and more and more. Such change is accounted for as the work of God alone.

Some who believe that sanctification is monergistic, would agree with what I just wrote about sanctification, as would many who say that sanctification is synergistic. The good news here is that our differences can and should be worked out in discussions like this, because I think we can easily talk past each other. But those who have a monergistic view of sanctification, who say they are as totally depraved now as they were prior to their salvation, who say that only the intellect changes in sanctification and not one's life...I have to ask you, whoever you are, what life of sin are you hiding? Because God who has imparted to us faith has said that if we willfully sin after having received the knowledge of the Truth, that we have no claim to being Christians at all (Heb. 10:26ff). I am not saying that Christians don't sin... But I am saying that Christians are not characterized by sin, whose lives will more and more conform to the righteous character of God (Heb. 2 and 4). And if that is not happening, one only can have a fearful expectation of judgment that will consume the enemies of God....lest, God grant repentance. Let me put it another way, if you have been committing adultery for years with another man's wife, you can't say that you can have assurance of eternal life simply because you know that what you are doing is wrong. That's just hog wash! It makes a mockery of the power of God in sanctification. Nor can such a monergistic view claim Christ does it all, as they go on to say, because the only thing one can do is sin... whereby, there does not need to be discipline in the Church, but only the preaching of Christ. Such men are looking for an excuse to sin... And what I just wrote isn't taking away from the fact that repentance is a gift. It is a gift, but it isn't Christ who is repenting, but the sinner. Such work is on account of the Spirit's work, such that God receives all of the glory...but we are working, and yes, our will is engaged. For Christ doesn't need to repent, but sinners do! And repentance happens not as a condition for salvation, but in evidence of salvation. Beware, brethren, of such people who have this kind of monergistic view of sanctification, and who hold onto it when correction in the Truth is given again and again and again. Such are sin minimizers, who without repentance are without hope and without God.

On the flip side, beware of those who argue that the flesh has been changed in salvation and is no longer totally depraved. Such are those who thank God that they are not like other men. These are the Pharisees among us, who see God as their co-pilot, or a helper and facilitator, who in the end take credit for the works they do...

By way of analogy, if we are like dead trees and the Spirit comes into the tree, the tree does not remain dead, such that any good work is literally the work of God alone. Rather, if when we were dead trees the Spirit comes into us, the tree comes to life! It bares fruit!! In fact the tree is better than its state before the fall, because the new state is not mutable, because Christ cannot fail!!! This is more fully realized in glory. Therefore, the good works that we do are our works, but we account for them in terms of what God has done and is doing. Analogies have flaws, but I believe you understand what I am saying.

To continue with the analogy, neither does the Spirit come into the tree, making it alive, then departs from the tree, only working as a helper to the tree, because the tree does ALL the work, thanking God for making it a tree in distinction from all the dead trees that are out there. The problem here is that the tree is still dead, with theology that comes from dead trees. The evidence that it is dead, is that it thanks God that it is not like the other trees... But the truth is that without the indwelling Spirit, a tree is not alive. And if not alive, it can't bare spiritual fruit.

I hope my using this analogy doesn't offend any of you. I have used this analogy in the past when speaking to children and then connected it to its true application.

Hope this is an aid to the discussion.

Bob Foster
Gettysburg, PA

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
[Linked Image] Bob to our Discussion Board.

And all I can say to your reply is, "Amen, brother! You preach it... I stutter." giggle

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Plebeian
Plebeian
Thankful for your comment. And thankful to be a part of the discussion.

Bob

Plebeian
Plebeian
Amen Bob..

Journeyman
Journeyman
I guess Calvin was a hyper-Calvinist:) First of all, singling out one proposition out of the entire system of Scriptural teaching is to distort theology. The golden chain of salvation begins with unconditional election before the foundation of the world, not with conversion. Saying that regeneration does not save is a stupid and misplaced comment since regeneration is an absolutely essential doctrine of Calvinism. Regeneration is a sovereign decree of God that precedes faith and conversion. Without regeneration any act of the will is impossible, including conversion, faith, repentance, and obedience.

Furthermore, even sanctification is a monergistic work of God in the hearts of the elect. (Philippians 2:13). Saying that the elect have moral agency and a will does not imply that there is libertarian free will. That is Arminianism, not Calvinism. The reprobate were destined to stumble. (1 Peter 2:8). God raised up Pharaoh for the express purpose of hardening his heart and destroying him in the Red Sea. (Exodus 4:21; 7:21; Romans 9:18-22). God made the wicked for the day of doom. (Proverbs 16:4).

The problem with riding the fence is that you end up being bosom buddies with Arminian heretics and denouncing Calvinists as "hyper" Calvinists. Common grace is Arminianism, plain and simple. The idea that the deciding factor in salvation is "choice" is nothing more than Arminianism. Faith is itself a sovereign gift of God. (Ephesians 2:8-9). The "work" of God is the gift of believing:

Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent. (John 6:29 KJV)

Salvation is all of God's grace and there is nothing whatsoever that anyone can do to make himself believe. God alone can cause a dead sinner to believe in the Son of God. (John 5:25).

Charlie J. Ray

http://reasonablechristian.blogspot.com

Last edited by Cranmer; Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:56 PM.

Journeyman
Journeyman
The idea that the mind is divorced from behavior is an illogical and irrational one. Unless one's thinking changes behavior cannot change since behavior is guided by acts of the will and acts of the will depend on thinking. The Scriptures over and over again emphasize understanding, knowledge, and thinking.

In fact, sanctification begins with "truth." Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth. (John 17:17 KJV)
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee. (Psalm 119:11 KJV)

The "heart" in the Scriptures is most often a synonym with the "mind":

For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee. (Proverbs 23:7 KJV)

We are commanded to love God with all the mind:

And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. (Mark 12:30 KJV)

Knowledge is commanded by the Scriptures:

For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. (2 Corinthians 4:6 KJV)
By pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love unfeigned, (2 Corinthians 6:6 KJV)

Any piety that emphasizes ignorance rather knowledge of the Scriptures is a false piety.

There are many false prophets today. A true man of God emphasizes the Scriptures, not personal experiences.

And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. (Romans 12:2 KJV)

Charlie

Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth