Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#52242 Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:39 PM
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
I hope this thread goes better than my last one on the Open Forum. giggle
I recently came across an article about a subject that to be honest I don't know a whole lot about. But recently found that I need to understand the matter better (long story).

I would like to get some feedback from the following link, that I came across while researching the topic.
Please try to refrain from commenting about the person who wrote the article, please. I am interested in the topic in question.
http://www.dennyburk.com/a-brief-response-to-trueman-and-goligher/

Tom

Tom #52243 Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:05 PM
Addict
Addict
This one is a bit over my head but if I reading it right it may be an overreaction by Trueman & ultimately much ado bout nothing. This is definitely Pilgrim territory in terms of clarification however.

Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Originally Posted by AJ Castellitto
This one is a bit over my head but if I reading it right it may be an overreaction by Trueman & ultimately much ado bout nothing. This is definitely Pilgrim territory in terms of clarification however.

BigThumbUp That is my take on it as well, hence why I thought I would give this one over to others who are a little more knowledgeable than I am.
If this matter had not become personal (long story), I might be inclined not to put much effort into this one.

I did find out that some claim the Eternal Subordination of the Son, was not held by the Reformers (egalitarians among this group). Yet those who believe in this teaching, say it was held by the Reformers.
I have not had time to check into these claims however.

Tom

Last edited by Tom; Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:12 AM.
Tom #52248 Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:40 AM
Addict
Addict
Interesting, usually the concern is about the motivations of the perspective more than just the legitimacy of it.... but I'm still not sure I get it in this case.... confused

Old Hand
Old Hand
Good morning, Tom!

I'd love to read Truman and Goligher's stance on the Trinity that sparked this whole controversy. Can you direct me to the source of all this?

Thanks,
Kim

Trust the past to God's mercy, the present to God's love and the future to God's providence." - St. Augustine
Hiraeth
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Since God does not change, i.e., neither in His dealings with men nor and especially in His nature/essense, then it cannot be postulated that the Son was at one time not subordinate to the Father. EVERYTHING about God exists eternally, including His decrees.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Hiya Kim!! thewave

Ditto on your question. It would be very interesting to actually read their argument for their position. BigThumbUp

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Originally Posted by gotribe
Good morning, Tom!

I'd love to read Truman and Goligher's stance on the Trinity that sparked this whole controversy. Can you direct me to the source of all this?

Thanks,
Kim

Kim

In the opening sentence of the article I provided, if you click on the name Truman, I think you will find what you are looking for.
But I have taken the liberty to copy the link for you.
Would love some feedback on the article itself.
http://www.alliancenet.org/mos/postcards-from-palookaville/fahrenheit-381#.V137YLsrLIU

Tom

Last edited by Tom; Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:27 PM.
Permanent Resident
Permanent Resident

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
John,

Thanks for the link. I read through Trueman's article and found it quite good but wanting more. So, I found another article by Carl Trueman here: Continuing Down this Path, Complementarians Lose. This one really turns the lights on and explains in much better ways, IMO, than the first article what the issue is. I can summarize it simply, and I hope not too much so:

1. Historic creedal Christianity: God is one and three persons; Father, Son and Holy Spirit, who are eternally equal in essence, power and authority. This is a statement concerning the ontological/immanent Trinity, i.e., what is God in His very being.

2. Historic creedal Christianity also affirms that there is a "functional subordination" within the three equal persons. This statement concerns the "Economic Trinity", i.e., how God functions and the relationship between the three persons of the Godhead.

Now, this new teaching, to which Trueman is criticizing, seems at best to be confusing the ontological Trinity; God as He is with the economic Trinity, and in the end destroys the very essense of God's essense. grin Again to put the matter as simply as I can, eternally God is one consisting of three persons who are eternally and infinitely equal in ALL things. There is NO subordination BY NATURE in the Trinity. This is what the Nicene, Anathanasian, and Chaldeconian creeds affirm and to which I personally embrace wholly. This other group is at least in danger of denying this truth and in doing so, whether they intend to or not, introduce inferiority/non-equality, within the Godhead. I suspect that those whom Trueman is taking to task would categorically deny this charge. But the issue is not their intention but the result of their teaching.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim
I am confused, are you saying you are agreeing or disagreeing with Trueman?
Your next post seems to indicate you disagree with Trueman?
Tom

Last edited by Tom; Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:46 PM.
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by Tom
Pilgrim
Tom
I thought I wrote that I was in 100% agreement with Trueman regarding the doctrine of the Trinity, which as he wrote is found in the Nicene and Chalcedon creeds. I do not agree with the ontological subordination view, i.e., I disagree with the view that says there is a subordination of the Son to the Father inherent to His nature (ontological). But there is "functional subordination" by mutual agreement within the Godhead.

Are you clear on that now? grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom Offline OP
Needs to get a Life
OP Offline
Needs to get a Life
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Originally Posted by Tom
Pilgrim
Tom
I thought I wrote that I was in 100% agreement with Trueman regarding the doctrine of the Trinity, which as he wrote is found in the Nicene and Chalcedon creeds. I do not agree with the ontological subordination view, i.e., I disagree with the view that says there is a subordination of the Son to the Father inherent to His nature (ontological). But there is "functional subordination" by mutual agreement within the Godhead.

Are you clear on that now? grin

Pilgrim
Ok thank you for clearing this up. As you put it, that is actually my view as well. However, I must have missed the point that issue was about ontological subordination view. Perhaps I did this because when reading these kind of things, it stretches the grey matter in my brain. giggle

Tom

Old Hand
Old Hand
Thanks for the link, John!

Trust the past to God's mercy, the present to God's love and the future to God's providence." - St. Augustine
Hiraeth
Old Hand
Old Hand
Thanks for the link, Pilgrim!

I've read through the various links and found that this sums it up for me:

"there is considerable damage done both to our understanding of the Trinity and also to our understanding of men and women and how we relate to each other. ESS has a trickle down effect on doctrine in many areas. Despite its claims to the contrary, it makes the Son inferior to the Father and misinterprets aspects of the work of redemption."

I think this gets down to why this is not just a friendly, in-house debate. It is a grave matter and one worthy of a vigorous public challenge.

(Also, am I correct in assuming that Big Eva is a term coined by Trueman to represent the New Calvinist's evangelical presence on the web?)

Hiraeth
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 93 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,484 Gospel truth