Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Journeyman
OP Online Content
Journeyman
“The Christian shoemaker does his duty not by putting little crosses on the shoes, but by making good shoes, because God is interested in good craftsmanship.” Supposedly by Martin Luther

I've always like that quote and until recently thought it truly came from Luther. Yet, Lutherans say it is not from Luther. I find it brings to mind a point worth considering in an age of shallow religion and I have been considering myself on this point as well.

In our day on conservative news web sites and cable networks it is common to see on-air personalities prominently flashing their crosses outside their blouse or dress shirts. Or you have athletes who make an ostentatious point of kneeling in prayer before the vast audiences as if that is their witness or act to glorify God. But, I wonder how that fits considering the following:

One the one hand:
"When therefore thou doest alms, sound not a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have received their reward. But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: that thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret shall recompense thee." (Matt 6:2-4, ERV)

On the other hand:
"Even so let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matt 5:16, ERV)

"Beloved, I beseech you as sojourners and pilgrims, to abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul; having your behaviour seemly among the Gentiles; that, wherein they speak against you as evil-doers, they may by your good works, which they behold, glorify God in the day of visitation." (1Pet 2:11-12, ERV)

I think each of us have to be comfortable in our own skin, determining if what we do or what we are, is to glorify God, or are we actually glorifying ourselves and saying 'Look at me'. Individuals can have life circumstances that fit them alone that don't fit rules exactly. Maybe focusing on the first and second great commandments will cause all to fall into place:

"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind...
"Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. (Matt 22:37-39, ERV)

Expanded elsewhere:

"Hereby we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and do his commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous." (1John 5:2-3, ERV)

"Owe no man anything, save to love one another: for he that loveth his neighbour hath fulfilled the law. For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not covet, and if there be any other commandment, it is summed up in this word, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: love therefore is the fulfillment of the law." (Rom 13:8-10, ERV)

Holding to the 1644/1646 First London Confession of Faith including the Appendix, particularly Sect. IX and X

I am in agreement with John Gill's Confession of faith:
https://www.reformedreader.org/ccc/johngilldeclarationoffaith.htm

I hold to New Covenant Theology and the full doctrines of grace; TULIP
jta Offline
Great post. A lot of food for thought. Thanks!

Aspiring student of Christ

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth