Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#58119 Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:14 PM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
Just ran across that terminology, and have never heard of it before. I will leave out where I saw it as not to biased anything.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Hmmmm, context in which the term "Calvinist Remnant" would be more than helpful. "Remnant"... sure I know what that is; a very small part of a much larger whole. But "Calvinist" remnant is not found in the Bible, so I'm guessing it is a man made term for some new idea? giggle

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim

Good answer, it is probably not good to assume what it is supposed to means.

Tom

John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Ahhh!! Now it all makes sense. Jack Miller was 'different' to be sure. No, I did not meet him personally as I was at WTS Philly after he departed there and started his "New Life Church". His ministry was akin to Bill Bright's "Campus Crusade for Christ" with a sorta Calvinist flair, let's say. Or, perhaps he could be described more of an "Evangelical" vs. historic Reformed. Along those lines Carl McIntire and a few other men broke from the newly formed Orthodox Presbyterian Church and started their own denomination named the Bible Presbyterian Church. The former held firmly to historic Calvinism and the Westminster Confession of Faith vs. the latter which was much influenced by Bob Jones and his Bob Jones University and thus was more "evangelical" in emphasis. Lastly, and to put it simply, the theological doctrine of the covenant of grace as taught in Scripture is incontrovertibly teaches that the elect of God are but a remnant of the entire human race, albeit they are vast in number. The Church's primary responsibility is to feed the sheep through the preaching and teaching of the Gospel in both its narrow and broad definition. Evangelism is but a part of the Church's outreach through which the elect are called both in the hearing of the Gospel and the working of the Holy Spirit in those whom God has predestined to be redeemed in Christ, calling them out of this world and bringing them to fellowship among the elect saints. There is a most definite danger of any church to become "ingrown", of which I have seen to occur personally much to my sadness. But this fallacy is not due to the doctrine of "Calvinistic Remnant" but of poor and distorted preaching on one hand and the 'pride of life' that exists due to allowing unbelievers to become members of the visible church. Perhaps? this along with other factors led Jack Miller to get off track and fall into his own unique errors.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
"There is a most definite danger of any church to become "ingrown", of which I have seen to occur personally much to my sadness."

Pilgrim, What do you mean by ingrown?

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Simply put, the church has little to no effort in the matter of evangelism. Even further, some are not very friendly to 'outsiders' attending their worship services, especially if the visitors are not dressed 'properly' or they are not the 'right' ethnic background, or even the 'acceptable' color. The membership of these churches consists most always from the families who are members already, i.e., their children become members in due time. There is very little in the way of adult education in the church. Children are the focus, prepping them for the 'age of accountability' at which time they are expected to make a commitment to the church and its authorities. Very few genuine conversions are evident and thus many/most of the members are unregenerate although there is a semblance of outward morality in some.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
John_C #58189 Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:01 PM
jta Offline
The church I am blessed to attend does value diversity *in Christ.* Meaning we welcome all people who know Christ or are interested in learning about Him, BUT we will not water down the Gospel of Jesus Christ or any other teaching of Scripture, for any reason whatsoever. When the Bible teaches against sin, so do we. We hope God will use it to draw unbelievers to Himself, and believers into a closer walk with Him. Our aim is not to be "popular" but to please God; to glorify Him, edify His people, and proclaim the Gospel to all who will hear.

We love children, practice family integrated worship more or less, and do have Bible classes for all ages, although kids around 12 and up are encouraged to attend the adult classes. But we know that no one including children can be saved apart from Christ, and, as the Bible teaches nothing that hints of an "age of accountability," we don't either.

God has been growing our church through conversions. Most of our new families are either new to Reformed theology, or (almost equivalently IMO) to Christianity in general, and God has drawn them to us because they wish to know and walk with Him.

I am so blessed to be a part of this church, although, because I cannot credibly profess Christ, I am only a regular attender, not a member.

Aspiring student of Christ

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 60 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,484 Gospel truth