Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#6042 Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:59 AM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Howard I too am surprised that one such as yourself that aspires to be so conservative in other areas of your theology would mix such with PUNK rock and such. What do you find godly edifying in Punk?

Reformed and Always Reforming,
J_Edwards #6043 Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:08 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Its the music I like not so much the lyrical content , though I did when unsaved.

Whats edifying in classical music country, jazz, opera etc, etc ?

Sounds to me like some are going down the legalism path on this one.

howard

#6044 Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:21 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Clash ? Ramones ?<br><br>Good taste !<br><br>(Something about England , the Clash , is one of my favorite songs)<br><br>howard

#6045 Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:41 AM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
In reply to:
Its the music I like not so much the lyrical content , though I did when unsaved

So you are willing to renew your mind with bad lyrics because you assume the beat of the music is edifying to God and your flesh enjoys it. How do you separate the lyrics from the music? Do they not bind together as ONE unholy unit of false edification? Is this not the method of music and lyrics to make one cohesive unit of fleshly pleasure (the lyrics by your own admission are not good).

J_Edwards #6046 Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:39 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Joe, Punk music seems to trouble YOU very much.<br><br>Punk music does not trouble ME at all.<br><br>You appear to be in some sort of bondage about this .<br><br>I would however not play it "publicly " for fear of upsetting those young in the Faith.<br><br>I especially like listening to very LOUD music when I'm doing the house-work and the neighbours are'nt at home.<br><br>Whats edyfying about other music ? <br><br>howard<br><br>

#6047 Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:49 AM
Addict
Addict
Punk music? Are you like, for serious about this? Or are you, as they say, pulling our leg? [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/bash.gif" alt="bash" title="bash[/img]<br><br>You sure are a conundrum howard.<br>

"Ah, sitting - the great leveler of men. From the mightest of pharaohs to the lowest of peasants, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" M. Burns
fredman #6048 Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:56 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Are'nt we all ?

#6049 Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:08 AM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
In reply to:
Joe, Punk music seems to trouble YOU very much.

Assisting my brother in watching out for his individual sanctification is exceedingly important.

In reply to:
Whats edyfying about other music ?

Proper Christian music edifies my soul and glorifies God.

But, Howard YOU NEVER answered my question?

So you are willing to renew your mind with bad lyrics because you assume the beat of the music is edifying to God and your flesh enjoys it. How do you separate the lyrics from the music? Do they not bind together as ONE unholy unit of false edification? Is this not the method of music and lyrics to make one cohesive unit of fleshly pleasure (the lyrics by your own admission are not good).

J_Edwards #6050 Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:24 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Proper Christian music ?<br><br>Whats that ?<br><br>Do you mean Psalms , hymns and spiritual songs that are used in church ?<br><br>I can sepreate the music from the lyrics Joe . Its called selective listening.<br><br>Nowadays , I mainly listen to dance and rave which contain no lyrics , just fast and loud.<br><br>My unsaved background as an outlaw biker with guns and drugs etc, etc , serves me well that I can WITNESS to hells angels, punks, winnos,prostitutes et al .<br><br>Secular music causes ME as much trouble as spilt milk Joe. It has no detrimental effect on my Christian walk as it so obviously does you. YOU therefore should avoid it.<br><br>I avoid classical, jazz opera, country etc, etc, because I JUST DONT LIKE IT. It makes me depressed . Some folk like it - I am happy for them .<br><br>howard

#6051 Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:23 AM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
In reply to:
Secular music causes ME as much trouble as spilt milk Joe. It has no detrimental effect on my Christian walk as it so obviously does you. YOU therefore should avoid it.

Howard you once again have JUMPED to an untrue conclusion. I use to listen to RnR and such, but now "I do not desire" to as it is not edifying. I DO avoid such music that does not HONOR God, it is that simple. Apparently, you need something else.

I am sure you know NONE of the words of the songs you listen to Howard (and you did say you listened to them in the prior posts)--it is impossible for you to separate them that fully. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/ponder.gif" alt="ponder" title="ponder[/img]

J_Edwards #6052 Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:41 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Today, I have been online reading theology with music on in the background for the last 8 hours. This I do on average 5 hours a day 7 days a week .

It actually helps me concentrate - like chewing gum does to some folk.

The Lord Jesus Christ will not send me to hell for listening to music Joe-any kind of music.

I have mentioned elsewhere on this board that I have a bi-polar brain (dis)order. This enables (disables) me to do and think several things at once. It does "backfire" on occassion but a brief spell in the local Mental Institute does the trick.

Philippians 4:13 kjv

howard

#6053 Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:09 AM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Howard no one to my knowledge has mentioned hell until your post above. That is not the point. For the Christian sanctification is the ONLY follow-up to justification and after this glorification. Paul had some novel words concerning part of this process:

Ephesians 5:19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
I cannot change your mind Howard, but only direct you to verses that IMHO weigh heavily against PUNK and ...you being bipolar or not, this IS the Word of God..

BTW, you do have a great testimony of deliverance and I do not mean to attempt to belittle that in any form. I also desire for our continual deliverance in sanctification and thus, we must apply all the Scriptures, including those above.

#6054 Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:09 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Jazz is far too broad of a term to be used to describe any particular kind of music. Under that one word fall swing, bebop, cool jazz, acid jazz, free jazz, big band, fusion, blues, dixie land....just to name a few.

I was a music performance major for a few years and have been listening to and playing "jazz" all my life. About 70 percent (just a guesstimation) of all jazz you'll ever hear has no lyrics. For the other 30 percent that does it is easy to discern whether you can glorify God through listening to the music. For the majority, though, that has no lyrics we are presented with a dilemma. The listener, in my opinion, has a limited "musical license" to allow him to associate certain connotations with music. Obviously this isn't possible if the music has lyrics, or if the music is publicly known to have been written for a certain purpose or to promote a certain feeling. This too presents a problem, for we don't know the intentions of all composers.

For instance, I do not listen to or promote Richard Wagner because of his strong ties with Nazism. Another example, I really enjoy listening to John Coltrane who was converted later in life and composed/played music in regards to that. Most of the composers will not be that clear though, and that is where I think our musical license comes in.

So to answer your question, "is Jazz evil?" I would answer, "No, not in itself." But that is not an absolute answer. It's situational.

Chris

#6055 Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:14 PM
Persnickety Presbyterian
OP Offline
Persnickety Presbyterian
They way you've presented yourself here simply does not seem to fit the profile of one who enjoys punk and rave music! [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif" alt="laugh" title="laugh[/img] That's all there is to it, really.

Kyle

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified.
#6056 Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:47 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
But I don't dig DK as much any more.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth