speratus said:

Wes,

The actual author is irrelevant. Whether penned by a woman, a heretic, or a pagan, the pastor is responsible for every word of every song sung by his congregation. If non-biblical songs are used, their sole purpose is to hold "fast the faithful word." Titus 1: 9. Women may not speak independently of the pastor as in a solo but may join in congregational singing lead by the pastor. 1 Tim. 2:11, 12

It appears that you are saying the author is irrelevant and the pastor has the right to approve songs written by women, heretics and pagans. That sounds a bit troubling. Also I'm a little troubled by your statement about non-biblical songs. I'm wondering how "non-biblical" songs hold fast the faithful word. Furthermore the passages you've sighted do not support your conclusion.

Titus 1:9 has nothing at all to do with women singing solos in the church. This passage deals with the topic of qualifications for elders in the church. Singing is not teaching or having a position of authority.

I Titus 1:5-9

Qualified Elders
5 For this reason I left you in Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking, and appoint elders in every city as I commanded you-- 6if a man is blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of dissipation or insubordination. 7For a bishop must be blameless, as a steward of God, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, 8but hospitable, a lover of what is good, sober-minded, just, holy, self-controlled, 9holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict.

Once again in I Timothy 2:11,12 Paul does not forbid all vocal participation by women in the worship service. Rather, Paul enjoins silence of a particular sort - a silence that respects the authoritive teaching and governing role assigned to the teachers of the church.

Wes

When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of Glory died, my richest gain I count but loss and pour contempt on all my pride. - Isaac Watts