I'm curious what some of your thoughts are concerning the fulfilling of the law in Matthew 5:17.

Matthew 5:17(NASB)
17"Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.

To me this means that everything (including ceremonies) in the Law that pointed toward the Christ and that was prophesied about the Christ was fulfilled in Christ. Quote from MacArthur study Bible on this:

Jesus was neither giving a new law nor modifying the old, but rather explaining the true significance of the moral content of Moses' law and the rest of the OT. "The Law and the Prophets" speaks of the entirety of the OT Scriptures, not the rabbinical interpretations of them. fulfill This speaks of fulfillment in the same sense that the prophecy is fulfilled. Christ was indicating that He is the fulfillment of the law in all its aspects. He fulfilled the moral law by keeping it perfectly. He fulfilled the ceremonial law by being the embodiment of everything the law's types and symbols points to. And He fulfilled the judicial law by personifying God's perfect justice

As for your question about David. I agree that these sort of things are hard to understand. As for the commandment "You shall not murder", Jesus opened our eyes that murder is not restricted to physical murder. You can also murder through what you think! Thus, all of us are guilty of breaking this commandment. Is the history about David indirectly killing someone but not being punished by himself be killed, not also about God's endless grace? Thus in spite of David's action, God still keeps His promise that the Christ will be a decendant of David (Ps. 132:11). Also the words spoken by Isaiah in Isaiah 11:1-10 could not be fulfilled if David was himself directly to be punished for the murder of Uriah. None of Jesse's other sons were chosen by God to be the king of Israel. God remains true to His promises in spite of us not being faithful.

But I don't think you're right when you say that God sometimes overrule His own law (if I understand you correctly). His law is a reflection of His attributes and He cannot go against that. If He could it would not have been necessary for Christ to carry God's wrath against sin. I agree with Robin's explanation.

Johan

Last edited by Johan; Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:50 PM.