Here's a part of an e-mail that he sent to us when we asked him for clarification:

"Very often disagreements/arguments on the subject are generated more by a difference in how a people understand the meaning of words. As an example what I said was the “6 things that prompted God’s favor,” but what you heard was “6 things that merited or earned God’s favor”. I do not believe any favor we gain from God is earned or merited. These words imply obligation on God’s part. I want to be clear that there is nothing that anyone can do which will place God in the position of owing them His favor.

However, it is also true that there are some attributes, that we (sinners made in His likeness) can possess by making right choices, and certain actions that we can choose to take which God will look favorably upon, and for which He rewards us and is pleased to use us because of. Examples of these attributes are the six things that are evident in Mary’s life (i.e. humility, faith, submissive obedience, fear of God, servant’s attitude, knowledge of His Word). The reason this is true is that these positive attributes are consistent with His nature, His character, and His will, and therefore bring pleasure to Him. The corresponding antithetical negative attributes prompt (induce, result in) His displeasure/disfavor (e.g. disobedience, rebellion, etc.). An example of this is the case with Saul in 1 Sam. 15 where Samuel stated, “because you have rejected the word of the LORD, He also has rejected you from being king.” Here we are told that God responded to Saul’s disobedience by rejecting him as king. In the same way it was because of the characteristic positive virtues found in Mary that God chose to favor her by using her to bear the Christ Child. Was God obligated to do so? Absolutely not. Did her character and virtue, which were a result of her choices prompt, or result in God’s favor? Yes! To state it another way, along the same line as the statement made by Samuel cited above, “because Mary possessed the virtues of humility, faith, submissive obedience, fear of God, servant’s attitude, and knowledge of His Word, God chose her as the vessel through whom His Son would enter the world.” He didn’t have to choose Mary to be the recipient of this grace, but it was none-the-less as a result of her virtue that He did.

I know this brief statement does not clear up all the questions related to God’s sovereignty with respect to Mary, but perhaps it will serve to clarify my position and intended message regarding her."