Q. 83. What is the communion in glory with Christ which the members of the invisible church enjoy in this life?

A.
The members of the invisible church have communicated to them in this life the firstfruits of glory with Christ, as they are members of him their head, and so in him are interested in that glory which he is fully possessed of;[360] and, as an earnest thereof, enjoy the sense of God’s love,[361] peace of conscience, joy in the Holy Ghost, and hope of glory;[362] as, on the contrary, sense of God’s revenging wrath, horror of conscience, and a fearful expectation of judgment, are to the wicked the beginning of their torments which they shall endure after death.[363]

[360] Ephesians 2:5-6. Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.

[361] Romans 5:5. And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

2 Corinthians 1:22. Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.

[362] Romans 5:1-2. Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

Romans 14:17. For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

[363] Genesis 4:13. And Cain said unto the LORD, My punishment is greater than I can bear.

Matthew 27:4. Saying, I have sinned in that I have betrayed the innocent blood. And they said, What is that to us? see thou to that.

Hebrews 10:27. But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.

Romans 2:9. Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile.

Mark 9:44. Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.