Donations for the month of May

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,792
Posts54,932
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,464
Tom 4,533
chestnutmare 3,325
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,867
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 11
Tom 10
John_C 1
Recent Posts
American Election
by Pilgrim - Sun May 05, 2024 7:03 AM
Nouthetic Counseling
by Pilgrim - Sun May 05, 2024 6:55 AM
N.T. Wright
by Pilgrim - Fri May 03, 2024 6:47 PM
The Righteousness of God - Horatius Bonar
by Pilgrim - Wed May 01, 2024 7:44 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:50 AM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#51245 Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:52 AM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
This may be too technical, but these questions came to my mind when reading the chapter.

What does 'the official of half the district of Jerusalem' refer? What is a district? What is a half district? What is the official?

Elsewhere the chapter speaks of other half districts. Were the half districts of Jerusalem inside the wall, and the other half districts outside the wall?

Finally, how was these areas and governing decided upon and carried out? At one time was Zerabbabel the head governor of all the area? Who did Nehemiah report to locally?

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
John_C #51246 Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:13 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by John_C
This may be too technical, but these questions came to my mind when reading the chapter.

What does 'the official of half the district of Jerusalem' refer? What is a district? What is a half district? What is the official?

Elsewhere the chapter speaks of other half districts. Were the half districts of Jerusalem inside the wall, and the other half districts outside the wall?

Finally, how was these areas and governing decided upon and carried out? At one time was Zerabbabel the head governor of all the area? Who did Nehemiah report to locally?
What makes it difficult for me is that you are not using a translation I am familiar with. With that in mind, I'll try and answer your question by assuming "official" is translated "ruler" in my Formal Equivalent translations, e.g., KJV and ASV. And, you didn't give any specific verses to which you have formed your question(s). [Linked Image]

1. The 'official/ruler' over 'half the district of Jerusalem', e.g., in verse 9 is someone who was given charge of the rebuilding of the wall, gates, etc., of the city, i.e. of the district of country belonging to Jerusalem (compare v. 19 with v. 15, where Mizpah and the district of Mizpah are distinguished).

2. What ever the 'half districts' were exactly, what should probably be understood is that the rebuilding project consisted of repairing those parts of the city which were destroyed or damaged by the Chaldeans. There may have been parts which were not damaged and thus needed no repair. Secondly, it is doubtful that the restoration did not involve the entire city as it was originally built, i.e., the renovated city was smaller than the original and thus there were sections which would have been located outside of the wall. Why? If a portion of the former city had been left outside the new wall, the gate of Ephraim would have been displaced, and must have been rebuilt elsewhere in a position to the south of the old gate... thus making it highly improbable that this was the case.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #51247 Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:15 AM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
Thanks, my SS teacher was reading from the ESV, and when I got home I re-read it using the NASB.

My assumption of their being only one district in Jerusalem is probably what got me off track. I assumed Jerusalem was one district making the two half districts described in the chapter (vv 9, 12) being the whole of Jerusalem. Then other verses in the chapters spoke of other half districts and across from their houses.

I was making too much of the use of district as I was thinking of it as a governing region, not just a location name.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 108 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,515,166 Gospel truth