Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,788
Posts54,919
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,325
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 11
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#58770 Fri Dec 01, 2023 11:31 AM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
What are the doctrines that Wilson holds that are in error?

I know of paedocommunion, and Federal Vision (which I have heard that claim is not true)

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
John_C #58771 Fri Dec 01, 2023 7:31 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by John_C
What are the doctrines that Wilson holds that are in error?

I know of paedocommunion, and Federal Vision (which I have heard that claim is not true)
I do not know Doug Wilson personally. I have not followed all his writings over many years. What I do know is that he is infamous for obfuscations of various doctrines making sometimes nearly impossible to know what he is teaching or believes. He likes to think of himself as an erodite and thus looks down upon others. Sometimes it takes the wisdom of Solomon to discern what he is saying/writing... ya know what I mean? igiveup

But, to the point, here are a couple links to articles which critique Wilson's stand on Federal Vision; one from 2017 and another has comments from others on this matter dated 2023. I am sure there are many other individuals who have dealt with Wilson on this subject and other troubling views he holds.

- Has Doug Wilson Really Changed His Mind About Federal Vision?

- Doug Wilson argues that the imputed...quot;infused grace" in Regeneration

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
John_C #58837 Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:38 PM
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
I came upon this thread and although I am no fan of Wilson.
I did a little research myself from Wilson himself, because I thought he
could answer those a allegations better for himself.

I do find however, some of what Wilson says is confusing and can be understood wrongly without
clarification.

I believe in fairness to Doug Wilson himself; in the interest of not wanting to misrepresent him. He should be allowed to answer these allegations himself.
He has actually done so at:
https://dougwils.com/controversy#4_I_affirm_justification_by_faith_alone.

This deals with many of the allegation labeled against Wilson.

I will not comment further.

Tom

John_C #58838 Sat Jan 20, 2024 9:03 PM
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
After I posted that, a friend sent me the following that I think
Is helpful.
https://jaredrlongshore.com/2023/08/08/doug-wilson-phil-johnson-and-the-regeneration-ruckus/

Tom #58839 Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:47 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Sorry, Doug Wilson is a master of deceit and thus I cannot trust anything he says. IF I am wrong and Wilson has totally rejected ALL of what NPP and FV assert, then my not accepting his rejection of it will make not a wit of difference when he stands before God. Many are of the same mind and have nothing to do with the man. Let his own self-esteem be enough for his own consolation.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom #58840 Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:04 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
I am familiar with Bavinck to a point. But IF "Jared" (the author) of the article has explained Bavinck's view as teaching that one is united with Christ BEFORE regeneration, repentance and faith in Christ, then I must disagree. ALL the benefits of salvation to the elect have been ordained in eternity. Thus they are infallibly sure. But those benefits are not experimentally realized until the Spirit of Christ works them in the soul and life of the elect in time. For example, the "Covenant of Redemption/Peace" between the Father and Son and Spirit were eternal. Out of that Covenant, the means of bringing it to pass in the salvation of the elect is the "Covenant of Grace". The pinnacle of that covenant was the incarnation, life, death and resurrection of Christ which secured the redemption of the elect. HOWEVER, until the Spirit works in the heart/soul of the elect, "we all were children of wrath" and hardly 'united to Christ" by virtue of the covenant. Being eternally predestined to salvation is not to be conflated with the application of the covenant of grace, i.e., God's intent and appropriation of all that is necessary to save. "And he (Abraham) believed in Jehovah; and he (God) reckoned it to him for righteousness." (ASV) Methinks that a reading of John Murray's book, Redemption Accomplished and Applied will go a long way to understanding of what I believe vs. what "Jared" an Associate Pastor of Christ Church in Moscow, Idaho and what he wrote re: Bavinck in "Doug Wilson, Phil Johnson, and the Regeneration Ruckus".

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
John_C #58842 Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:42 PM
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim

Do you agree with this-
The fountain of salvation itself in the eternal election of the Father is “in Christ.” Paul says: “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in the heavenlies in Christ, even as he chose us in him before the foundation of the world” (Eph. 1:3, 4). The Father elected from eternity, but he elected in Christ. We are not able to understand all that is involved, but the fact is plain enough that there was no election of the Father in eternity apart from Christ. And that means that those who will be saved were not even contemplated by the Father in the ultimate counsel of his predestinating love apart from union with Christ—they were chosen in Christ. As far back as we can go in tracing salvation to its fountain we find “union with Christ”; it is not something tacked on; it is there from the outset.
Salvation Accomplished and Applied’ John Murray

Tom

Last edited by Tom; Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:45 PM.
John_C #58843 Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:11 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
IF that is an exact quote from Redemption Accomplished and Applied, please provide the page number. I have my well-worn copy in hand. smile

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom #58844 Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:52 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Okay, I found the quote in my copy on page 162. And yes, I agree with all that Murray wrote in that section. It is how some interpret the phrase: "in union with Christ" that I have at times taken issue. ALL THINGS have been predestined by God's eternal council from eternity and are infallibly brought to pass in His perfect time. Thus the elect were predestined to salvation IN CHRIST including all the means to accomplish that salvation. HOWEVER, there is a personal, experiential dynamic to being "in union with Christ", which no one can claim to be the case UNTIL and after the Spirit's "effectual calling". That effectual call is spiritual regeneration, repentance, and faith in Christ Himself. THEN practically and personally the believer (elect person) is said to be "in union with Christ".

Murray spells this aspect of the phrase "in union with Christ" a bit further on page 165.

Originally Posted by John Murray
But union with Christ is an important part of the application of redemption. We do not become actual partakers of Christ until redemption is effectively applied. Paul in writing to the believers at Ephesus reminded them that they were chosen in Christ before the foundation of the world, but he also reminded them that there was a time when they were "without Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world (Eph. 2:12) and that they were "by nature children of wrath even as others" (Eph. 2:3). Although they had been chosen in Christ before times eternal, yet they were Christless until they were called effectually into the fellowship of God's Son. (1Cor. 1:9). Hence it is by the effectual call of God the Father that men are made partakers of Christ and enter into the enjoyment of the blessings of redemption. Only then do they know the fellowship of Christ. (Redemption Accomplished and Applied pg.165

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
John_C #58846 Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:05 PM
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
The union with Christ was a topic in Table Talk Magazine.
https://tabletalkmagazine.com/posts/union-with-christ-a-neglected-truth/

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 98 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,512,149 Gospel truth