Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,788
Posts54,920
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,529
chestnutmare 3,325
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 13
Pilgrim 10
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:50 AM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#6351 Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:28 PM
MarieP Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Here's an interesting predicament I am in:<br><br>My parents, as many of you may remember, go to a liberal church. I doubt whether they are Christians themselves. But, this morning they told me they would start going to Sunday School. They know I think their church is liberal, but they choose not to leave. I am glad they are going to Sunday School, but yet the teaching they would get would be liberal.<br><br>When I attended my parents church, I was in college and our Sunday School class was no class at all but just us talking to each other about things that may or may not have had anything to do with God. I visited an adult class there once, and they were reading through Stephen Covey's The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. Were they reading it to weigh it against the Bible? No!<br><br>

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
MarieP #6352 Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:38 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
So, what's your "predicament"? [Linked Image]<br><br>

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #6353 Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:00 PM
MarieP Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
Sorry...<br><br>I got a bit sidetracked there...<br><br>Do I encourage them in going to Sunday School?

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
MarieP #6354 Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:10 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]Do I encourage them in going to Sunday School?</font><hr></blockquote><p>Absolutely! But only if you get to drive them to YOUR Sunday School class! [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/evilgrin.gif" alt="evilgrin" title="evilgrin[/img] Otherwise, why not see if they might not be interested in doing a home Bible Study between the three of you. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/ponder.gif" alt="ponder" title="ponder[/img] [Linked Image]<br><br>In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #6355 Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:25 PM
MarieP Offline OP
Veteran
OP Offline
Veteran
I actually have been doing some study with my mom three or four mornings a week on the way to my work or my school. I've actually been reading her devotionals from Spurgeon's Morning and Evening [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img]. I need to be more disciplined in getting her to do it each time we go, since sometimes she starts talking about other things and suddenly there is no time left to do it. There have been some interesting conversations that have come out of it. But, overall, it seems like she doesn't care if we do the devotions or not.<br><br>As for my dad, he drives me places less than my mom, and my dad would rather listen to his audio-books-on-tape than do a devotional. I haven't been able to get him to read the Jerry Bridges book I gave him yet. Which makes me wonder why they now want to go to Sunday School. When my parents picked me up after church this morning, my dad realized he knows two people in my Sunday School. The two came over to the car to talk to him, and they invited him to come to our Sunday School. My dad said he liked their own church, but that they might come with me sometime. Maybe they didn't want to come to mine but wanted to stay in their watered down church?

Last edited by Wes; Sun Oct 05, 2003 5:51 PM.

MarieP #6356 Sun Oct 05, 2003 6:12 PM
Wes Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Marie,<br><br>If your mom and dad show little interest in devotions maybe its because they aren't saved. Or maybe they have grown cold. In either case I'd like to suggest that you use your opportunities to teach them about salvation by grace through faith alone by focusing on verses that explain this. Share your faith with them and the Bible verses that give you hope. Warn them about Christ's message to the Laodicean church in Rev.3:14-22. Tell them about the marks of a true church. <br><br>Unfortunately for them to attend Sunday School where the teachings are being poluted by unworthy interpretations would only be harmful, not helpful. They may like their own church because of friendships that they have developed over the years but do they understand what the Bible teaches about about spiritual relationships? If they belong to a liberal church they are in danger and their friends may not even be saved.<br><br><br>Wes

When I survey the wondrous cross on which the Prince of Glory died, my richest gain I count but loss and pour contempt on all my pride. - Isaac Watts

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 119 guests, and 25 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,513,432 Gospel truth