Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#8143 Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:25 AM
OP Offline
My question is similar to Roland's, but only taking part of it, here. I recently listened to an online sermon (Either Ravi Zacharias, or John Piper, since those are the ones I follow more closely) and it was mentioned that the cause of many types of depression rests at feelings of loneliness. Lloyd-Jones doesnt directly mention it in his book on Spiritual Depression, nor have i found many articles, even, online that address this from a non-post-modern-psychological point of view. Besides the fact that loneliness is a non-issue for those that are in Christ, it would be hard to deny that we sometimes face these feelings that we are completely alone, especially this time of year, when, as Roland says (paraphrased), we are around family and our idealized view of them doesn't measure up to reality. Or, if we can't/don't spend all the time we should with our respective family, and feel isolated whenever we do get together because of our own lack of effort to be who we need to be for/with our family. And, of course, for those of us that are single, there is another proverbial pandora's box opened up for feelings of loneliness. The balance of reason and emotion in our lives seems to be the problem, here, but I'd like to get some other folks two-bits. Why do we, and how can we, feel alone and isolated while it is certain that we are not? <br>troy

Grace is but glory begun;
Glory is but grace perfected!
- Jonathan Edwards
GottseiEhre #8144 Sun Nov 30, 2003 1:32 PM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
We can feel alone for we were ultimately meant to be in "full" relationship with God, even more so than Adam and Eve were. In our fallen states, we no longer have this intimacy as regularly (we do get glimpses of it). I think most here will know what I mean when I say at times I feel so very close to God and at others I feel very far away indeed. Sometimes I feel I could actually walk on the sea and at others I cannot even fathom being on the sea in a boat, much less walking on it. <br><br>We were designed for a relationship with God and thus loneliness is a part of the curse (we are not in the Garden anymore, but are looking for the covenantal relationship of the Garden, physically-face to face, not just spiritually). When we get into glory, then we will have this relationship in its fullness restored. In Christ, here on earth we may but practice it intermittently, and some fare better at it than others. Prayer, walking in the Spirit, the Word, et. al. all play a part on just how alone or how full our relationship here on earth is with our Father.<br><br>Come Lord Jesus, Come!

Reformed and Always Reforming,
GottseiEhre #8145 Sun Nov 30, 2003 3:16 PM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Here is an attachment that may help answer some of your question as well. It may also lead to other questions here on the forum [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/shrug.gif" alt="shrug" title="shrug[/img]<br><br>These are just notes so please overlook the roughness of them.

Attached Images
3-29693-Thisage.doc (0 Bytes, 78 downloads)

Reformed and Always Reforming,
GottseiEhre #8146 Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:02 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
<blockquote>1 Corinthians 5: 1 For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 For in this we groan, earnestly desiring to be clothed with our habitation which is from heaven, 3 if indeed, having been clothed, we shall not be found naked. 4 For we who are in this tent groan, being burdened, not because we want to be unclothed, but further clothed, that mortality may be swallowed up by life.</blockquote><br>The reason we are sometimes lonely even as Christians is that in some sense we are groaning inwardly. We are longing for something better. We are struggling with the results of the fall all around us as well as in us. Francis Schaeffer wrote about our being separated from God, from our fellow man, and from ourselves because of the fall. Even after we are Christians we still feel some of these things. We are not home yet.<br>Susan

GottseiEhre #8147 Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:12 PM
Dear Troy,<br><br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]Why do we, and how can we, feel alone and isolated while it is certain that we are not? </font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>I can only try to answer that by sharing with you something of the way in which the Lord has led me. Having been saved as a young lad, I grew up in a church where there were a few elderly Christians but no one anywhere near my own age. So I know something about loneliness. I came to love reformed doctrine and strove to have a "correct" understanding of it. But it didn't answer my loneliness.<br><br>I moved to a large city, a live church and lots of Christian friends my own age. It was WONDERFUL. But it wasn't the answer to my loneliness.<br><br>I threw myself into the Lord's work, Sunday School, Youth Work, etc.etc. But that wasn't the answer.<br><br>I spent a lot of time with various unconverted friends, seeking opportunity to witness to them. But that wasn't the answer.<br><br>And now, many years later, I am back home, with no church and no Christian friends near. And I believe He is showing me the answer. I believe I am indwelt by the Holy Spirit.(Rom.8:9) but am far from being filled with Him (Eph:5.18), walking in Him (Gal 5:16) or having my heart so filled with His fruit that there is no room for the works of the flesh (Gal 5:17-26) He is teaching me, as Joe says in his reply, by prayer, walking in the Spirit, and the Word, how to deal with my deceitful heart (Jer 17:9), its treacherous sinful desires, and in His strength crucify the flesh. (Gal 5:24)<br><br>Now I am beginning to find that John 14 verses 15 - 21 and 23, have passed from "head knowledge" to "heart experience." And believe me when I say, He is dealing with my loneliness!<br>Yours in Him,<br>Brian.<br><br><br>

Saved_n_kept #8148 Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:24 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Dear Brian:<br><br>In reply to:<br><br>"Now I am beginning to find that John 14 verses 15 - 21 and 23, have passed from "head knowledge" to "heart experience." <br><br>Those are precious words and promises indeed, and to have them applied to the soul is indeed the best cure for loneliness, at least in my opinion, for as the Psalmist puts it; <br><br>"Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee." Ps 73:25<br><br>In Him,<br><br>Gerry<br><br>

GottseiEhre #8149 Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:42 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]Why do we, and how can we, feel alone and isolated while it is certain that we are not? </font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>How can we be afraid when He is with us and mighty to save? How can we be tempted when we have been born of incorruptable seed?<br><br>For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please. (Galatians 5:17)<br><br>We are not yet perfect. Our desires and priorities on earth are not always as they ought to be. We do not always value Him most. And so our flesh deceives us, for it does not desire the things of the Spirit and it is not satisfied with them.<br><br>I also agree that we do not yet have the full fellowship with God for which we are made.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth