Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,788
Posts54,920
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,529
chestnutmare 3,325
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 12
John_C 1
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:50 AM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#8183 Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:36 PM
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
When Paul commanded women be silent in church and cover their heads, his reasons struck me as theological, order of creation, and headship. There is not any cultural influence it seems. Is their any reason women should not still remain silent in church or cover their heads in worship and in prayer?

On a side note, about what time was it that people believed the role of deaconess to exist. I can find no scriptural support for such a position.

Edited: Changed the subject of this thread - Pilgrim

"There is nothing that keeps wicked men at any one moment out of hell, but the mere pleasure of God." - Jonathan Edwards
The_Saint #8184 Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:13 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Saint,

I for one am one of those rare birds who believes that head coverings are to be worn by women at corporate worship gatherings. I was going to add the attached article, a letter written by the late John Murray, to The Highway in the near future and still plan on doing so, D.v. But you can read this now. grin

In His Grace,

Attached Images

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #8185 Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:33 PM
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Thank you for the treat Pilgrim. grin

"There is nothing that keeps wicked men at any one moment out of hell, but the mere pleasure of God." - Jonathan Edwards
The_Saint #8186 Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:45 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
You are welcome. After I attached that "Word" document, I realized that there are probably some here who don't have Microsoft Office (MS Word) or a word processor program that is capable of converting it (open it). Sooooo, if anyone is in that category and who doesn't want to wait until the article is uploaded to The Highway, let me know, please. There are two options that are available in that case. 1) I can convert the document to ".pdf" format, which nearly everyone can open and read with Adobe Acrobat Reader, or 2) I could e-mail the converted ".pdf" document to you. If this is preferable, PM me. grin

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #8187 Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:25 PM
I appreciate the article Pilgrim, John Murray is one of my favorites. However, I am one of the "common birds" who doesn't believe that head coverings are required by women in corporate worship. I believe all things are lawful to me but not all things are expedient. As for the case about coverings, one question we could ask ourselves, couldn't a woman wear a covering but still not be subject to her husband? If they can, then the purpose of the covering is defeated, and even made worse by entering into worship falsely. If worship is to be in Spirit and truth, I don't see where outer articles of clothing will affect the Spirit of worship. Guess this could go into the place of vestments and a whole new issue. I do not think more or less of a person who decides to wear either, just for myself, I have a liberty about these things. However, Romans 14:1-4 gives direction concerning liberty. Also, 1 Cor: 10:31 speaks plainly, Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God.

Mike

Hisalone
Matt. 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. KJV
hisalone #8188 Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:35 PM
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Use not liberty as an occasion to serve the flesh, but instead to serve one another. If Paul in his authority as an apostle established this tradition, we cannot use the excuse all things are lawful to ignore it. Shall we continue in sin? Shall all things be lawful until we've broken every law? Do not those who love Christ keep His Word?

hisalone #8189 Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:50 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
In reply to:
As for the case about coverings, one question we could ask ourselves, couldn't a woman wear a covering but still not be subject to her husband? If they can, then the purpose of the covering is defeated, and even made worse by entering into worship falsely.

To press your line of reasoning, we could also say that the purpose of baptism is also defeated when an unbeliever is baptized, eh? Fortunately, the argument is without merit for the "head covering", like baptism, is a sign of an immutable truth. In the case of the "head covering" it is a sign of the truth that women are to be subject; i.e., under the authority of their immediate head, their husbands. This truth Paul establishes clearly when he uses the order of creation in that section. grin

My reasons for embracing "head coverings" is upon exegetical grounds; nothing more nor anything less. I came upon the Murray article long after I had studied the much debated topic and come to a decision on my own. One can appreciate Murray's words, I would hope, even if there exists a disagreement on the topic.

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
The_Saint #8190 Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:19 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Dear Saint:

In response to:

"Is their any reason women should not still remain silent in church or cover their heads in worship and in prayer?"

Other than rebellion against God's clear scriptural commands and response to the (continued) temptations of the adversary (as in the garden), no.

In Him,

Gerry

The_Saint #8191 Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:39 PM
I knew my last post would bring some objections. I do not propose that we use liberty for a reason to sin, I was only pointing out that I do not see that "not" wearing a head covering can be considered sin. I see it as a cultural requirement only. This does not negate the order of things, just that in our culture, a woman's subordination is shown differently. I personally believe that imposing such an archaic custom on females in the church would do more harm than good. We enter into the mindset of the Taliban when we press our women to do something that is contrary to our culture and has nothing to do with the SPIRIT of worship. As for Pilgrim's mention about Baptism, that is an ordinance established by our Lord, as is the Lord's supper. I didn't see anywhere where our Lord established the rule about head coverings.

Mike

Hisalone
Matt. 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. KJV
hisalone #8192 Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:13 PM
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Without trying to sound harsh, please re-read my original post as I addressed all your points. There is no support for stating it is cultural and can you pick and choose which of the Gospel is invalid? Are you saying when Paul wrote as an Apostle it does not count as from our Lord?

hisalone #8193 Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:20 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
In reply to:
I didn't see anywhere where our Lord established the rule about head coverings.

I surely do not want to belabour this discussion, at least here, as I do believe it is worthy of discussion, but in its own thread. wink But this remark is unfortunate as it bifurcates the unity of the inspired Scriptures, although I feel comfortable assuming that is not your intent. When we give more importance and/or authority to the recorded words of the Lord Christ over those of His authorized and inspired apostles, we commit a grievous error. Although I have nothing against "red-letter Bibles" in principle, there are some individuals who have fallen into the error of believing that those "red letters" are to be given precedence over the "black letters". And in doing so, destroy the Scriptures' own hermeneutical principles, e.g., the Epistles interpret the Gospels, etc.

Again.... I understand that you consider Paul's teaching in 1Cor. 11:2-16 under the idea of "cultural boundness", which is very popular today. However, I would argue that a careful reading and exegesis of the passage in question does not allow the matter of head coverings to be one of culture but of creation and of God's original design, at least during the interim before Christ returns. It is true that Paul begins this section (vs. 2) speaking of "traditions", i.e., those things which were beforehand established and continued to be recognized and upheld. And it is also true that his last remark mentions "custom", which I take as being synonymous with those "traditions" from vs. 2. Here, in this last statement, Paul uses the established tradition of women wearing a head covering, showing their place of submission to men to express their acceptance of their place in God's creative order, to make the point that among the Apostles nor in any other church is the argument against this practice entertained.

Again, if you care to further this discussion on "head coverings", you are certainly welcome to do so, but in a new thread. By the way, if you do a search on this topic, you will find that it has been previously discussed. Perhaps you can find something of interest to you in them too? smile

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
hisalone #8194 Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:42 PM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
In reply to:
We enter into the mindset of the Taliban when we press our women to do something that is contrary to our culture and has nothing to do with the SPIRIT of worship. As for Pilgrim's mention about Baptism, that is an ordinance established by our Lord, as is the Lord's supper. I didn't see anywhere where our Lord established the rule about head coverings.

Culture is not a happenstance situation, it is prepared by God. Cultural does play a significant part here in the decision. We must also be ever mindful that there is a culture of the world and a culture of the church. Your cultural/Taliban switch and bait does not comb out very well. [Linked Image]

James Hurley has an interesting interpretation of the veil and covering of women (Man and Woman In Biblical Perspective). His interpretation goes like this: there is insufficient evidence that the women in this culture (Jewish or Graeco-Roman) would have worn head coverings. This fact, coupled with the actual language of the text, is better interpreted to mean coiffure. The wearing of the hair "up" was a sign of honoring one's husband. For a woman to let her hair flow down her back was a sign of repudiation and such a woman should shave her hair off which would dishonor her. This is important because it demonstrates truly what is cultural here, the prevailing hairstyles and their significance, versus that which is timeless, the honoring of the husband. This passage does not only refer to the man's headship in the home, but in the church as well.

As William Rodgers points out, one final issue here is the issue of Paul's foundation for the timeless principle; the Creation. Feminists argue that Paul is arguing from the Fall and so this "curse" has been lifted by Christ's redemption. But, Paul is not arguing from the Fall here, but from Creation which has not been negated.

Reformed and Always Reforming,
J_Edwards #8195 Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:08 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
In reply to:
James Hurley has an interesting interpretation of the veil and covering of women (Man and Woman In Biblical Perspective). His interpretation goes like this: there is insufficient evidence that the women in this culture (Jewish or Graeco-Roman) would have worn head coverings. This fact, coupled with the actual language of the text, is better interpreted to mean coiffure.

Unfortunately, Hurley's interpretation that suggests that the "covering" was nothing more than the way women fixed their hair is indefensible according to the text. If you haven't already done so, read Charles Hodge's excellent interpretation of this passage (exegetically sound) in his commentary, I & II Corinthians, part of the Banner of Truth's "Geneva Series". grin

I do agree, however, that the church has "culture", i.e., traditions which are to be followed as they are based upon sound biblical teaching. For an interesting article on tradition, see John Murray's Tradition: Romish and Protestant.

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #8196 Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:19 PM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
In reply to:
Unfortunately, Hurley's interpretation that suggests that the "covering" was nothing more than the way women fixed their hair is indefensible according to the text.

This is not the way I understood him (in context, if I am reading him right). Coiffure for him meant for the hair to be prepared in a special way, with a veil (headdress, a definition of Coiffure).... for revealing she was under submission to her husband.

Reformed and Always Reforming,
J_Edwards #8197 Mon Dec 01, 2003 6:25 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
In reply to:
Coiffure for him meant for the hair to be prepared in a special way, with a veil (headdress, a definition of Coiffure)....

Coiffure: (kwa fyur) The arrangement of the hair (especially a woman's hair).

Not having read what he wrote, I can only take your word for it, i.e., that he believes that there was some form of covering on the woman's head. However, IF he thinks that the definition of "coiffure" includes something other than the manipulation of the hair, he is sadly mistaken.grin Thanks for the clarification.

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 119 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
David
Popular Topics(Views)
1,513,727 Gospel truth