Q. 48. How did Christ humble himself in his life?

A.
Christ humbled himself in his life, by subjecting himself to the law,[188] which he perfectly fulfilled;[189] and by conflicting with the indignities of the world,[190] temptations of Satan,[191] and infirmities in his flesh, whether common to the nature of man, or particularly accompanying that his low condition.[192]

[188]
Galatians 4:4. But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law.

[189] Matthew 5:17. Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Romans 5:19. For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

[190] Psalm 22:6. But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people.

Hebrews 12:2-3. Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.

[191] Matthew 4:1-12. Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil, etc.

Luke 4:13. And when the devil had ended all the temptation, he departed from him for a season.

[192] Hebrews 2:17-18. Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people. For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

Hebrews 4:15. For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.

Isaiah 52:13-14. Behold, my servant shall deal prudently, he shall be exalted and extolled, and be very high. As many were astonied at thee; his visage was so marred more than any man, and his form more than the sons of men.