Originally Posted by brightfame52
Not if they are elect. If elect and unconverted the death of Christ for them has propitiated God's wrath on their behalf and Christ Himself is their advocate 1 Jn 2:1,2

My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:

And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.
So, we are back here again, eh? Logically, you MUST therefore believe in the doctrine of eternal justification, which cannot be defended from Scripture. 1Jh 2:1,2 is not applicable to the unconverted. The CONTEXT is categorically addressed to BELIEVERS... after they have been justified.

1 John 2:1-2 (ASV) 1 My little children, these things write I unto you that ye may not sin. And if any man sin, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous: 2 and he is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the whole world.
IF you insist that the Lord Christ propitiated God's wrath for "the whole world", i.e., for every individual man, woman and child who ever was conceived, then you have a bigger problem. evilgrin

Why don't you exegete Eph 2:1-3, particularly vs. 3 "were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest:--". This the Holy Spirit wrote through the Apostle Paul. Methinks he is infinitely clear and infinitely more trustworthy than your personal opinion based upon some theological bias you possibly embrace. And, coincidentally, the overwhelming view of the Church throughout history is that unconverted sinners are under the wrath of God until they are united by faith in Christ. The propitiation made in their behalf is THEN applied and they are thus reconciled to God through Him.

Looking forward to your exegesis as I am sure many others are too. grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]