Donations for the month of October

We have received a total of "$0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,297
Posts53,252
Members964
Most Online523
Jan 14th, 2020
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,045
Tom 4,047
chestnutmare 3,086
J_Edwards 2,615
Wes 1,856
John_C 1,818
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Pilgrim 24
Tom 12
Robin 5
Johan 3
Readin 2
Meta4 1
Recent Posts
The Nick-name Calvinism
by Pilgrim - Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:06 PM
NeoCalvinism
by Tom - Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:18 PM
Natural Theology
by Anthony C. - Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:47 AM
Wilderness Wealth
by NetChaplain - Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:57 AM
Your opinion please
by Johan - Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:03 AM
True of False
by NetChaplain - Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:26 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#47617 Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:12 AM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
My church is in the process in finding our next pastor. What are some crucial things to discover when talking with the pastor's wife. I know it is said that we are calling a pastor, not his wife, but still a wife is vitally important in her husband's ministry.

Our church experienced difficulties with our last two pastor wives over the last 5-6 years. Recently, the wife left the marriage, and the earlier one had sensitivity problems when her husband received criticism, she was insecure, and did not like it when her husband was called away to perform his pastoral duties.

So, what should a search committee look for, ask, and observe when talking with the wife? Are we out of line when thinking that the wife is part of her husband's ministry.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
John_C #47618 Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:25 PM
Head Honcho
Online Content
Head Honcho
John,

I really don't know of any "standard" to which a pastor's wife must adhere to other than the obvious which Scripture sets forth, e.g., a believer (valid profession of faith), submissive to her husband, not usurping his authority, hospitable, etc. She is not required to be a theologian, although she should be able to articulate the fundamentals of the faith; Reformed in your particular case. I'm not sure that a pastor's wife should be required to submit to a committee to answer questions. An informal get-together with the elders and other select members of the church might be far more profitable in order to get to know the woman. wink

What I do hold true is that a pastor's wife can be a tremendous help or someone who can destroy the man and/or the church. She certainly should be an important part of the considerations for a pastor.

Question: Are not any of the current elders under consideration for the position? If not... Why?

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #47619 Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:32 PM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Question: Are not any of the current elders under consideration for the position? If not... Why?

I would need to look at the BCO, but the PCA breaks elders into Teaching Elders and Ruling Elders. Except for a very few cases, a Teaching Elder should be seminary trained and take a comprehensive ordination exam before being ordained to the gospel ministry. The Ruling Elders are ordained as REs, but not as a TEs. None of our REs senses a call to the gospel (pastoral) ministry.

Does that answer your question.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
John_C #47621 Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:03 PM
Head Honcho
Online Content
Head Honcho
yep Typical of a Presbyterian denomination to bifurcate the ONE OFFICE of elder into two, where Scripture only gives one set of qualifications for the ONE office. My personal view is that the most orthodox and trained elder needs to take those men aside who exhibit gifts for the office and teach and prepare them. If the congregation, which should be putting forth such men, also recognizes those gifts then if formal training is needed or desired, then the church should financially support them and provide for them in that training. Of course, given the situation today, WHERE would you send them, given all the heretical teachings that are being allowed in most of the once lauded institutions... but that is another matter.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
John_C #47628 Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:23 AM
The Boy Wonder
The Boy Wonder
Amen, Pilgrim! The bible makes no distinction between "teaching elders" and "ruling elders." All elders rule and are supposed to be "apt to teach," according to the scripture. While I recognize a "first among equals" example in the bible, I don't recognize a distinction between "clergy elders and lay elders."

I too am in a PCA church. The previous PCA church I went to had no term limits for church officers (term limits for church officers aren't in the bible), but ended up being ruled effectively by a single family. For life.

My present PCA church has "term limits." Not really an expiration of an officer's authority, but a requirement that he be re-affirmed every so often by a vote of the congregation. No single family "runs the church for life" as was the case at the other church. My present church has raised up and equipped at least two missionaries and one pastor.

I think the biblical model is for elders to mentor, disciple, equip, and train gifted men for the church offices. Sending our kids away to be trained by strangers in some faraway place seems quite foreign to the biblical examples.

John_C #47632 Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:25 AM
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley
If the man your church is considering for the position of teaching elder is married, then it would be reasonable, in my estimation to consider what their family life is like and the wife does have something to do with that. (1Tim. 3:4) Much grief might be avoided by knowing beforehand if the wife seeks to be a godly wife and support for her husband. Is HE able to rule his house well? or does he live with a woman who considers herself to be a bit of a co-pastor, usurping his authority, belittling him in public and diminish his respectability; or is she a gossip; slanderer; and on. A wife can destroy her husband's ministry by her sinful behavior. She can also be a great asset. Something to consider, I think. Training up someone from within your church would give you that advantage for you would know that family fairly well. Should she undergo the same kind of indepth theological interview as her husband? No. But definitely considered as she must complement her husband's ministry.

The Chestnut Mare
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by frost.
- - - -JRR Tolkien "Lord of the Rings"
John_C #47633 Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:56 AM
Originally Posted by John_C
Are we out of line when thinking that the wife is part of her husband's ministry.
Absolutely not. The two are one flesh. Particularly given your church's bitter experience with previous pastors, use discernment when you speak with the candidate's wife. Despite the tragic consequences for your congregation, the good that can come from this is that the curent search committee is now more aware of warning signals or concerns that perhaps previous search committees overlooked.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 113 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
atdcross, NetChaplain, winslowlady, Zach, Daverogk
964 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
October
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,294,203 Gospel truth