Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#49695 Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:53 AM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
In the last few years I've been hearing teaching about God's redeeming (restoring) earth just as He will do with saints. Before, I haven't heard much or any of that teaching. Is it a teaching that is being reclaimed, or what? If it is a reclaimed teaching, how can we be used by God as a means of redeeming earth? God uses us as means in redeeming man, but I'm unsure about earth.

I know Revelation 21 speaks of the new heaven and earth but I have thought of earth as relating to redemption of man. I'm a little confused here, so any help will be appreciated.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
John_C #49699 Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:56 AM
Annie Oakley
Annie Oakley
I am not sure what you are asking so could you explain further. Would this discussion be helpful to you? It is one which was started by you a while back.

The Chestnut Mare
chestnutmare #49700 Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:49 PM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
Thanks for linking the old thread. In some aspects the questions are similar, but not in another. I'm sorry I cannot explain my thoughts clearer. Later, I will attempt a re-write.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
John_C #49701 Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:19 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by John_C
In the last few years I've been hearing teaching about God's redeeming (restoring) earth just as He will do with saints. Before, I haven't heard much or any of that teaching. Is it a teaching that is being reclaimed, or what? If it is a reclaimed teaching, how can we be used by God as a means of redeeming earth? God uses us as means in redeeming man, but I'm unsure about earth.

I know Revelation 21 speaks of the new heaven and earth but I have thought of earth as relating to redemption of man. I'm a little confused here, so any help will be appreciated.
I'm going to take a guess and run with what it seems you are asking, i.e., since man is being "redeemed" now and will be "redeemed" (glorified) at the last day... and the earth shall ultimately become the New Heaven and New Earth, then in a similar way, is the earth being "redeemed" now also? And, if so, then what is our role in bringing this to pass? Would that accurately describe your question?

Now..... if my understanding of what you are asking is totally off, then the following comments are going to be woefully irrelevant and I will apologize now for you perhaps taking the time to read them. grin

What immediately comes to mind is this:

Romans 8:16-23 (ASV) "The Spirit himself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are children of God: and if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with [him], that we may be also glorified with [him]. For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed to us-ward. For the earnest expectation of the creation waiteth for the revealing of the sons of God. For the creation was subjected to vanity, not of its own will, but by reason of him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption into the liberty of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groaneth and travaileth in pain together until now. And not only so, but ourselves also, who have the first-fruits of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, waiting for [our] adoption, [to wit], the redemption of our body."
Notice that Paul doesn't speak of "redemption" of the earth, but rather of it being "delivered from the bondage of corruption". By this he means the travail of being subjected to the curse of Adam's transgression; both for mankind and the creation.

Thus, Paul rejoices that all the woes, pain, suffering, even death which the whole creation is having to endure at this time will be removed when the sons of God; those who are united to Christ by a true living faith, receive their new incorruptible bodies in their glorification. Likewise, the earth, aka: creation, will be delivered from the effects of that curse when it is transformed into the New Heaven and New Earth.

Notice, that even those who have received the "first fruits", i.e., the indwelling Holy Spirit, groan under the weight of sin's consequences, NOW... and await with great anticipation for their deliverance from it. Likewise, the creation (earth) must wait until that last day for its deliverance. There is no progressive deliverance during this interim period. For the truth is that things shall become worse and worse until Christ returns. Paul describes this period of time as one of "travail", i.e., to be empathic in regard to the pain being experienced in anticipation of deliverance. In short, the Church and its members are not called upon to "redeem" this earth, for it will be burned with fire and all will be destroyed (2Pet 3:10-12). And only thereafter will the New Heavens and New Earth come to pass.

So again, if the above doesn't address your question, then please accept my apologies and do try and explain what it really is you are asking. giggle

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #49702 Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:44 AM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
Yes, that was my question. In addition, it seems to me I'm hearing more commentary using the new heaven and a new earth terminology that makes me wonder if they are talking about something that we as Christians should be doing. Especially in terms of deed ministry.

John Chaney

John_C #49703 Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:27 PM
Addict
Addict
Well things are certainly MUCH worse now then when Paul preached.

If you believe that I've got some Utah beachfront property for you to look at.

I'd take the time to rehash some of Boettner's optimism but frankly I was an am disturbed by the mocking tone I was answered with when I presented this before. You can find it beginning on page 38 of your copy of The Mellinnium

Likewise, the earth, aka: creation, will be delivered from the effects of that curse when it is transformed into the New Heaven and New Earth.

Im not aware of any curse in Heaven, can some one explain this?

Last edited by Hitch; Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:32 PM.
John_C #49704 Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:31 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Yes, that was my question. In addition, it seems to me I'm hearing more commentary using the new heaven and a new earth terminology that makes me wonder if they are talking about something that we as Christians should be doing. Especially in terms of deed ministry.
Okay, I have to ask... What is "deed ministry"??? scratch1

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Hitch #49705 Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:48 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by Hitch
Well things are certainly MUCH worse now then when Paul preached.

I'd take the time to rehash some of Boettner's optimism but frankly I was an am disturbed by the mocking tone I was answered with when I presented this before. You can find it beginning on page 38 of your copy of The Mellinnium
I really do like Boettner in so much of his writings. But his The Millennium is not something I appreciated and found disagreeing with his view(s) on too many things, especially his typical view of the "Golden Age".

To counter this unfounded optimism, I would counter Boettner with his critique of Postmillennialism and the "Golden Age" in particular which one can find in his excellent book, The Promise of the Future, pp. 225,6 and p. 340ff "Evaluating Postmillennialism" (Chapter 12). grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
John_C #49706 Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:30 PM
Addict
Addict
John,

Is the discussion in this thread and/or this thread similar to what you are asking about?

If so, I started noticing it at my church a few years ago and it has only increased. My thought is that this idea is not correct (for reasons given in the threads and Pilgrim in this one).

Pilgrim #49707 Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:27 AM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
Deed ministry is wrapped up in what is meant in Scripture with the use of the wording, 'word or deed' or 'word and deed'. What all does deed entail, especially in the outreach of the church. Word ministry is described by reading the Bible, preaching, teaching, bible studies, etc. However, I am unsure of what I am hearing when speaking of deed ministry. There seems to be a hint of it as getting out into the community and providing help and aid by meeting people's physical and emotional needs primarily.

John Chaney

john #49708 Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:43 AM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
John,

Thanks for the info. I'll ask around to see if I can clear it up.

I know there is no sympathy for NT Wright in the church, but it is possible that some of his language has sneaked in.

John Chaney

John_C #49709 Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:34 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Deed ministry is wrapped up in what is meant in Scripture with the use of the wording, 'word or deed' or 'word and deed'. What all does deed entail, especially in the outreach of the church. Word ministry is described by reading the Bible, preaching, teaching, bible studies, etc. However, I am unsure of what I am hearing when speaking of deed ministry. There seems to be a hint of it as getting out into the community and providing help and aid by meeting people's physical and emotional needs primarily.
I am more than uneasy with this bifurcation of bringing the Word of God to people and dealing with physical and emotional needs. The Church's ministry is always to be BOTH without separation. For example:

James 2:14-16 (ASV) "What doth it profit, my brethren, if a man say he hath faith, but have not works? can that faith save him? If a brother or sister be naked and in lack of daily food, and one of you say unto them, Go in peace, be ye warmed and filled; and yet ye give them not the things needful to the body; what doth it profit?"
And the opposite is likewise true... what good is it if you clothe those who are naked or feed the hungry and speak not of that person's need of being reconcilded to God? One can dedicate their life to feeding the hungry, clothing the poor, etc., but if he remains silent as to one's need of Christ and the forgiveness of sins, what ultimate benefit shall the one whose immediate physical and/or emotional needs is met have when he stands before God at the judgment?

We must meet the needs (NOT Maslow's 'Hierarchy of Needs') of the WHOLE man.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
John_C #49712 Thu May 02, 2013 8:29 PM
Addict
Addict
Well founded optimism;

20 And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.

21 And the remnant were slain with the sword of him that sat upon the horse, which sword proceeded out of his mouth: and all the fowls were filled with their flesh.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 78 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,511,125 Gospel truth