Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
I don't think he is as he is falls into the idealist camp more. However, he does agree with the partial preterist on some fulfilled prophecies in Matthew 24, but not all. I'm hearing all sorts of explanations of partial preterist, and even declaring that R.C. Sproul is one. Do partial preterist claim that all prophecies except for the 2nd Coming is fulfilled by 70 A.D?

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
It is my understanding that Hendriksen was an Amillennialist. We have often been called "partial Preterists", but that is a rather nebulas term. Most of the apocalyptic prophecies are yet to be fulfilled, IMO. How many (few) have come and gone is debatable.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Journeyman
Journeyman
William Hendriksen was the author of many books and commentaries, among them "More Than Conquerors" (which I greatly enjoyed), and definitely Amillennial. But could you comment a little more regarding Matthew 24, as that would be of great interest to me?

Meta4

There is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. - C.H. Spurgeon
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
David Engelsma has an excellent presentation where he uses Matthew 24 which you can read here: A Defense of (Reformed) Amillennialism.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Journeyman
Journeyman
Thank you. I've now completed the section(s) of the article with reference to Matthew 24, and look forward to reading the entire (lengthy) article, as eschatology is an interest of mine. I was just wondering what explanation of Mat. 24 it was that had caught John's attention, as I've come across some very unusual ones, including the one by Kik described in the article linked.

Last edited by Meta4; Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:57 PM.

Meta4

There is no such thing as preaching Christ and Him crucified, unless we preach what nowadays is called Calvinism. It is a nickname to call it Calvinism; Calvinism is the gospel, and nothing else. - C.H. Spurgeon
jta Offline
I'm at a loss to understand biblical eschatology.

I believe what is written in Scripture on this and every other subject, but, to a perhaps greater degree than most others, and also to a greater degree than other biblical topics, I struggle to understand it.

By default I tend toward a mix of mostly amillenialism but with very slight partial preterist leanings. E.g., I can see how a part of Matt. 24 and other prophecy could refer at least in part to the destruction of Jerusalem in AD 70. But there remains a great deal that could not, at least, not without jumping through some of the same kinds of eisegetical hoops more characteristic of Dispensationalists.

Is it OK that I simply believe the words of Scripture for now, and leave the more detailed study of end times until a later time when I have better grasped the fundamentals of the Cross, of Mercy, of repentance and faith, and of love toward God and others? Not that eschatology is unimportant, but it just seems like a less urgent area of study because of my failings in seemingly more important areas, as well as the fact that I'm just not smart enough to get much of it?

Aspiring student of Christ
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
jta

I have been enjoying the following series on the book of Revelation. Perhaps it might help?

https://www.sermonaudio.com/search....Series&keyworddesc=Revelation+Series

Tom

1 member likes this: jta
The Boy Wonder
The Boy Wonder
I prefer the term "orthodox preterist" to the term "partial preterist."

We don't call hyper-Calvinists "full Calvinists" and Calvinists "partial Calvinist."

John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
David Engelsma has an excellent presentation where he uses Matthew 24 which you can read here: A Defense of (Reformed) Amillennialism.

Engelsma does a good job on explaining the wrongs of those in the reconstruction movement in their views of postmillennial, partial preterist, etc; but it seems to me that some are using partial preterism today in ways to advocate postmillennialism, John's writings before 70 AD, the super importance of 70 AD among others. Many like myself would agree that some of Matthew 24 has been fulfilled, but not most. Now, their could be advanced that there is a double fulfillment, but not that most has been fulfilled.

Is there a definitive definition of partial preterist? I tend to think it is not stationary in how it is being used.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by John_C
Is there a definitive definition of partial preterist? I tend to think it is not stationary in how it is being used.
Perhaps this Theopedia short article will help you? https://www.theopedia.com/preterism

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Journeyman
Journeyman
Many, many years ago, our church did a Wednesday-night Bible-study series on eschatology which lasted eleven months. After some introductory comments, we began by looking at several scriptures revealing the Biblical dichotomy between "this age"/"the age to come", "this age"/"that age", etc., showing that scripture knows of only two ages, this present evil age, and the New Heavens and New Earth, leaving no room for any third age or millennium.

Then, for the first major section of scripture to be studied, we looked not at Revelation as might be expected, nor even at Daniel, but rather at Matthew 24. The view presented was somewhat unusual, and the pastor said it was taken from a book titled "The Millenium: A Comprehensive Study of the Facts and Fancies of That Most Popular Doctrine" (note spelling: 'Millenium'), by Harry Reigart Miller. I have searched the Internet repeatedly for this book without success. The extremely little information I could find, seems to indicate that it has been out of print for a very long time, and does not seem to be available anywhere. Does anyone here have any knowledge of, or have even heard of, this book?

Meta4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 60 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,484 Gospel truth