Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Tom
Tom
Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#6012 Sat Sep 27, 2003 10:49 PM
Persnickety Presbyterian
OP Offline
Persnickety Presbyterian
I just finished reading the article, "Rock'n'Roll, the Bible, and the Mind." As one of the "young people," I have to say the author makes a number of pertinent observations. I have been raised on a diet of rock'n'roll music---it's what my parents and peers listen to. But I've never been quite as interested in music as most of my peers, which is why I don't own an extensive collection of albums and largely why I have never engaged in music file swapping on the Internet. Perhaps that has been a blessing of sorts. I've never really questioned rock music as a style---but then, that seems to be exactly what draws one in. I can think of a number of songs I like for the tune but despise the lyrics. And "Christian rock" almost always seems ridiculous to me. What do you all think, especially those of you "young people" like me? Is it going too far to say that Christians should avoid rock music altogether, or should I destroy what meagre collection of rock music I have?

Kyle

I tell you, this man went down to his house justified.
CovenantInBlood #6013 Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:13 AM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Avoid it like the plague. IMHO there is no such thing as Christian Rock-n-Roll. There is Christian music and there is RR, but when you mix them you do not get CRR. You may get CCR (Credence Clearwater Revival), but not CRR (Christian Rock-n-Roll) [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/grin.gif" alt="grin" title="grin[/img]

Historically speaking the Church has always protected its worship. Some like Calvin hired song writers to write correct theological sound music.The Christian church did not employ instrumental music in its public worship for nearly 1200 years after Christ. Calvin said,

In Popery there was a ridiculous and unsuitable imitation [of the Jews]. While they adorned their temples, and valued themselves as having made the worship of God more splendid and inviting, they employed organs, and many other such ludicrous things, by which the Word and worship of God are exceedingly profaned, the people being much more attached to those rites than to the understanding of the divine Word....
We need one instrument: the peaceful word of adoration, not harps or drums or pipes or trumpets, said St. Clement of Alexandria around 200 A.D. Charles H. Spurgeon upheld an apostolic simplicity of worship--no instruments. He once said, I had just as soon pray to God with machinery as to sing to God with machinery. The term A cappella comes from Latin, meaning, in the style of the church. While I do think some instruments are proper and may be used, these historical facts (and there are several more) reveal much about the early Church's view of worship. They protected it for they understood its importance. Maybe the heart need be the only instrument in worship making grateful heartfelt melodies when reflecting on God's great Person and works done for His glory.

Next, theologically Rock-n-Roll in the Church is man-centered, it takes away from the covenantal aspect of worship, it takes away the sense of awe and majesty of God in true worship, replacing it with some cheap emotional high, and it takes away from the Word preached, for Rock-n-Roll comes to be the drawing card for people to come and not the Word of God preached.

Reformed and Always Reforming,
J_Edwards #6014 Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:18 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
While I disagree with some of what was said, I do agree that rock music in church takes away from God and Him being the focus. And it does make church services man-centered.<br><br>My disagreement comes cuz I like rock music. I don't think people who don't are going to hell (and I've heard people say pretty much that) and I don't think they are wrong. As Solomon says that there is a time for crying and a time for dancing, I think the same holds true for styles of music as well. Just my opinion.

CovenantInBlood #6015 Sun Sep 28, 2003 5:32 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Kyle:

I'm not young anymore, but I was once and was at one time into music of this type, but never to the extent that some are or were, nor was there the variety and depth available in the sixties and seventies when this got started and I was in college. Even so, the effects were not by any means healthy. The enemy is able to, and does, use music of all types, including folk, ballads, pop and other genre to send a false message, though the route there is often lying lyrics blended with pleasant tunes. Much of the music of the period in which I grew up was anti authority and rebellious in nature.

When I went back to school for a second degree and did some work with young people some ten or so years ago I was exposed to the more modern and extreme versions of this phenomena. One young person who I worked with was into a type of music that I think was called metalic rock, its been a while so I may not have that right and I have not stayed in touch with this area. This young person was heavily influenced by this type of music and I can say without any hesitation at all that one of the pieces that she asked me to listen to was satanic. I'm not talking about the lyrics only, I'm refering to the sound itself. I listened to it for only a minute or so and turned it off and burned it. It was evil, and it was obvious that it was evil.

Not all of rock n roll of course even approaches this type of music in it's overt tendency toward evil of course, but I believe the subtlety of the enemy is such that he offers that which is the mildest form of the poison which any given person will accept and then gradually increases the dose so that the unwary is slowly but surely drugged. Even if the material that a person listens to doesn't advance to that extreme stage, there is a quality to to the sound that is mind deadening and irreverent and which appeals to the baser instincts, and the lyrics are inevitable falacious.

Psalms, Hymns and spiritual songs in the Biblical sense are the only thing that should be allowed into the minds of those that desire to be holy, in my view.

Gerry

#6016 Sun Sep 28, 2003 6:02 PM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
In reply to:
As Solomon says that there is a time for crying and a time for dancing, I think the same holds true for styles of music as well. Just my opinion.

And a time always to obey God.

J_Edwards #6017 Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:30 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I don't think God says not to listen to rock music [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/wink.gif" alt="wink" title="wink[/img]

#6018 Sun Sep 28, 2003 10:06 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
In reply to:
I don't think God says not to listen to rock music wink

1 John 2:15-16 (ASV) "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh and the lust of the eyes and the vain glory of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world."

Romans 12:1-2 (ASV) "I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, [which is] your spiritual service. And be not fashioned according to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, and ye may prove what is the good and acceptable and perfect will of God."

2 Corinthians 6:14-18 (ASV) "Be not unequally yoked with unbelievers: for what fellowship have righteousness and iniquity? or what communion hath light with darkness? And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what portion hath a believer with an unbeliever? And what agreement hath a temple of God with idols? for we are a temple of the living God; even as God said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore Come ye out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, And touch no unclean thing; And I will receive you, And will be to you a Father, And ye shall be to me sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty."
What redeeming qualities can one find in "Rock 'n' Roll"? I was in the industry for several years and could have made the "big bucks". I am privy to what is behind the music and why it is so appealing to the flesh. I tell you from experience, that this "style" of music is like an opiate; it controls the soul.

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
CovenantInBlood #6019 Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:20 AM
Persnickety Presbyterian
OP Offline
Persnickety Presbyterian
I have to say, I find the arguments against rock music pretty darn convincing, especially as regards using it in worship. (Doesn't seem to fit within the regulative principle, really.) I want to study a little more on the subject, though. Anyone have recommendations?

Kyle

CovenantInBlood #6020 Mon Sep 29, 2003 3:43 AM
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Some Good books: <br><br><ul>With Reverence and Awe by DG Hart and John Muether<br>Gospel Worship by Jeremiah Burroughs<br>Worship, Reformed According to Scripture by Hughes Oliphant Old[/LIST]

J_Edwards #6021 Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:59 AM
Addict
Addict
I was your original metal banger before Christ. When I first became a Christian (Fundamental legalistic Christian) I did the typical barrel burning of the Rock and Roll records (I weep, when I reflect back upon all of that good music I destroyed, oh well) and I began listening to the typical pop Christian music, with a foray into Stryper. Interestingly enough, as I matured in my faith, and eventually left the legalistic fundamentalism, I came to see that CCM is all fluff for the most part. I think it was Steve Camp who called it "Jesus is your boy/girlfriend type music." I can't stomach to listen to any of it except for maybe Caedmon's Call and Fernando Ortega. Through my maturing as a believer, I have mellowed in my music taste. I love some country (Please, no "what do you get when you play country music backward" jokes), and I actually went back and re-collected some of my "burned" music, stuff like Sting and Rush. That is probably as about has secular and hard as I get. I also enjoy some selective movie sound tracks. However, what I have really come to love is Bach and Vivaldi. Classical music is just plain awesome. I would hope that the younger folks here would give it a listen. That stuff is just tremendous, especially if it is performed well.

Bach Rocks !!!

Fred

"Ah, sitting - the great leveler of men. From the mightest of pharaohs to the lowest of peasants, who doesn't enjoy a good sit?" M. Burns
fredman #6022 Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:15 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Question: What has 16 teeth and an IQ of 31?

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
\/

Answer:The first 3 rows of a Willy Nelson Concert.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
CovenantInBlood #6023 Mon Sep 29, 2003 8:20 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Have you read all the articles on The Highway that deal with the issue of music and/or worship? You can access that section by clicking here: Ecclesiology: The Doctrine of the Church.

There are other articles as well which you can find by using the Advanced Search here: Search The Highway. Just type in music and you should find them all. grin

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #6024 Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:08 AM
Persnickety Presbyterian
OP Offline
Persnickety Presbyterian
I'll be sure to look through those articles. [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/smile.gif" alt="smile" title="smile[/img]

Kyle

J_Edwards #6025 Mon Sep 29, 2003 10:10 AM
Persnickety Presbyterian
OP Offline
Persnickety Presbyterian
Thanks. I added this post to my favorites for future referrence. Before long I'll have a hefty list of books to look into beside my textbooks . . .

Kyle

CovenantInBlood #6026 Mon Sep 29, 2003 1:36 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Hey Everyone,
I used to be a huge Punk Rocker. After my conversion I found that a lot of my music caused my mind to dwell on anger to much do I gave my collection away. I still really love the Clash and Ramones. But I can't get myself to listen to Ozzie any more. Every now and then I have to purge my collection of crap that I bought with out really thinking about it. But my real question is that I really dig Jazz. Rock 'n Roll is always going to be a particular draw for me. But is Jazz evil?
Aaron

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 81 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,510,478 Gospel truth