Donations for the month of July

We have received a total of $185 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Featured Member
Forum Stats
872 Members
30 Forums
6209 Topics
48711 Posts

Max Online: 64 @ Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:52 PM
Top Posters
Pilgrim 13729
J_Edwards 4843
Tom 4172
Wes 3553
chestnutmare 2725
CovenantInBlood 2375
MarieP 2311
RJ_ 2288
John_C 2028
gotribe 1780
Top Posters (30 Days)
Pilgrim 46
Meta4 23
Mckinley 21
Tom 19
AJ Castellitto 12
Robin 7
chestnutmare 7
John_C 4
Johan 3
BereanMe 3
Recent Posts
Speaking of Baptist
by Mckinley
Yesterday at 04:33 PM
Are you Reformed?
by Pilgrim
Friday, July 22, 2016 11:51 AM
World Reformed Fellowship Network Statement of Faith
by Johan
Monday, July 18, 2016 10:19 PM
We Reflect What We Worship
by Pilgrim
Saturday, July 16, 2016 1:39 PM
Show me your fruit
by Pilgrim
Saturday, July 16, 2016 5:52 AM
what is theonomy?
by Pilgrim
Friday, July 15, 2016 8:38 PM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Theology Discussion Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Speaking of Baptist by Mckinley @ Yesterday at 04:33 PM

''In an age of individualism and skeletel creeds or barebone statements of belief, the rich tradition of corporate confessions of faith provide a vital link to the church of ages past and the saints of all ages.'' Creeds of Christendom - Name and D
Jump to new posts Re: Speaking of Baptist by Pilgrim @ Friday, July 22, 2016 7:07 PM

Originally Posted By: RobinI've only been a Baptist for a short while. But I think I would agree with those who blame Finney for the departure of many Baptists from their heritage. It isn't just Baptists who have departed from their confessional sta
Jump to new posts Re: Speaking of Baptist by Robin @ Friday, July 22, 2016 6:45 PM

I've only been a Baptist for a short while. But I think I would agree with those who blame Finney for the departure of many Baptists from their heritage.
Jump to new posts Re: Are you Reformed? by Pilgrim @ Friday, July 22, 2016 11:51 AM

Originally Posted By: RobinThe Baptist hermeneutic is a little different from the rest of the Reformed family. Originally Posted By: RobinThe Westminster Confession describes the counsel of God as being "either expressly set down in Scripture,
Jump to new posts Speaking of Baptist by John_C @ Friday, July 22, 2016 7:30 AM

When did they get away from the Baptist London Confession? By getting away I mean I rarely come across any Baptist today that will cite the BLC (or is LBC) as their confession. They tend to trace their heritage back to the anabaptist more. Did the BL
Jump to new posts Re: Are you Reformed? by Robin @ Friday, July 22, 2016 5:39 AM

The Baptist hermeneutic is a little different from the rest of the Reformed family. The Westminster Confession describes the counsel of God as being "either expressly set down in Scripture, or by good and necessary consequence may be deduced fr
Jump to new posts Re: Are you Reformed? by Pilgrim @ Thursday, July 21, 2016 8:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Meta4When you say: Originally Posted By: PilgrimClassic covenant theology says "new" means an expansion of the old covenant; a new universality and spirituality, but the essence of the old covenant remains the same.By
Jump to new posts Re: Are you Reformed? by Meta4 @ Thursday, July 21, 2016 6:10 PM

Thanks Pilgrim. I have downloaded, and will try to find a couple of hours, to listen to the debate. When you say:Originally Posted By: PilgrimClassic covenant theology says "new" means an expansion of the old covenant; a new universality
Jump to new posts Re: Are you Reformed? by Pilgrim @ Wednesday, July 20, 2016 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Meta4I just don't see what it has to do with baptism. It would be more obvious to me were one talking about covenant theology versus dispensationalism. Again, at the risk of being too brief/simplistic, in Covenant Theology, in
Jump to new posts Re: Are you Reformed? by Meta4 @ Tuesday, July 19, 2016 2:17 PM

Thanks Pilgrim. I know that "Covenant Theology" has been used in different ways, which muddies the waters. I just don't see what it has to do with baptism. It would be more obvious to me were one talking about covenant theology versus di
Jump to new posts Re: Are you Reformed? by Pilgrim @ Tuesday, July 19, 2016 1:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Meta4Hi John, please forgive me if I am being dense, but I don't see the connection between mode of baptism, and covenant theology. It isn't just "mode" but also "recipient" and "meaning" of baptism
Jump to new posts Re: Are you Reformed? by Meta4 @ Tuesday, July 19, 2016 1:03 PM

Originally Posted By: John_CDoes one need to hold to Covenant Theology to be Reformed? Reformed Baptists have always confused me on this as they are for sure Calvinist in their soteriology, but they are credo, and in some cases dispensationalists. Ca
Jump to new posts Re: Are you Reformed? by Pilgrim @ Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:51 AM

In the "classical" sense, the answer is "No". Baptists of any variety are not "Reformed". However, there is no foul in recognizing those Baptists who are Calvinistic in their soteriology. Some/many also hold to Amille
Jump to new posts Re: Are you Reformed? by John_C @ Tuesday, July 19, 2016 8:01 AM

May I add to this discussion. Does one need to hold to Covenant Theology to be Reformed? Reformed Baptists have always confused me on this as they are for sure Calvinist in their soteriology, but they are credo, and in some cases dispensationalists.
Jump to new posts Re: Are you Reformed? by goldenoldie @ Tuesday, July 19, 2016 7:54 AM

Originally Posted By: PilgrimBut in reality, the person is a "Rogue". R(eformed)I(n)N(ame)O(only)
Jump to new posts Re: World Reformed Fellowship Network Statement of Faith by Johan @ Monday, July 18, 2016 10:19 PM

The link is in the first sentence of my original post, although only to the home page. But here it is again: World Reformed Fellowship Network
Jump to new posts Re: Are you Reformed? by Pilgrim @ Monday, July 18, 2016 8:41 PM

As stated above, if one claims to be "Reformed" yet rejects the doctrines of Scripture which the Reformed Confessions consist of, then what makes the person Reformed?? Typically, such an individual has dreamed up his/her own personal defin
Jump to new posts Re: Are you Reformed? by Mckinley @ Monday, July 18, 2016 7:57 PM

Thank you Pilgrim for taking the time to explain what is and what is not reformed,.. Yes, I am very familiar with the Confessions, and I personally subscribe to the Standards, .. My question stems from a conversation with someone who pretty much reje
Jump to new posts Re: Are you Reformed? by Pilgrim @ Monday, July 18, 2016 6:34 PM

Originally Posted By: MckinleyWhat makes a person truly reformed?,.. Does one have to subscribe to the Confessions, and Creeds or can one reject them and still claim to be reformed? The answer is "Yes" and "No"! "Reformed&q
Jump to new posts Are you Reformed? by Mckinley @ Monday, July 18, 2016 5:57 PM

What makes a person truly reformed?,.. Does one have to subscribe to the Confessions, and Creeds or can one reject them and still claim to be reformed?
Jump to new posts Re: World Reformed Fellowship Network Statement of Faith by Pilgrim @ Monday, July 18, 2016 2:35 PM

Quote:6. In the Old Testament God speaks in the person of the Father In the Old Testament God speaks as one person, whom the New Testament equates with the Father of Jesus Christ, although the term ‘Father’ was not normally used to speak about God i
Jump to new posts Re: World Reformed Fellowship Network Statement of Faith by Johan @ Monday, July 18, 2016 2:14 PM

Agree. But what about that specific article? I looked through the list of denominations that are part of the WRF and I've seen that our denomination is also listed. Now, it is said explicitly before the statement of faith is given that the intentio
Jump to new posts Re: World Reformed Fellowship Network Statement of Faith by Pilgrim @ Monday, July 18, 2016 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: RobinSome of the stuff in this thread seems to indicate that only the Son and Spirit communicate to men, but if the "dove" didn't speak and Jesus didn't say that about Himself, it's easy to presume that the Father did
Jump to new posts Re: World Reformed Fellowship Network Statement of Faith by Robin @ Monday, July 18, 2016 10:39 AM

Some of the stuff in this thread seems to indicate that only the Son and Spirit communicate to men, but if the "dove" didn't speak and Jesus didn't say that about Himself, it's easy to presume that the Father did the speaking.
Jump to new posts Re: World Reformed Fellowship Network Statement of Faith by Pilgrim @ Sunday, July 17, 2016 6:11 PM

Originally Posted By: RobinSo the voice from Heaven at the Lord's baptism was the Son? Obviously not! But I'm curious why you asked the question?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
zsdotson11, Elwin, JohannSA, Fran44, kril8150
872 Registered Users
Shout Box

July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30