Donations for the month of August

We have received a total of $180 in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Search

Featured Member
Forum Stats
778 Members
30 Forums
5867 Topics
47129 Posts

Max Online: 41 @ Saturday, June 30, 2012 7:54 AM
Top Posters
Pilgrim 13316
J_Edwards 4843
Tom 3882
Wes 3553
chestnutmare 2469
CovenantInBlood 2375
MarieP 2311
RJ_ 2288
John_C 1899
gotribe 1767
Top Posters (30 Days)
Tom 14
chestnutmare 11
Pilgrim 10
Robin 5
Uriah 1
John_C 1
Recent Posts
Agree or Disagree?
by chestnutmare
Yesterday at 05:20 AM
External Christianity is not enough
by chestnutmare
Friday, August 15, 2014 8:37 AM
Calvin's Prayers from Hosea
by chestnutmare
Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:56 AM
Merit and Moses: A Critique of the Klinean Doctrine of Republication
by Pilgrim
Wednesday, August 13, 2014 5:43 PM
"...All saved" 1Timothy 2:4
by Robin
Tuesday, August 12, 2014 10:51 AM
Interesting Interview on Terrorism
by Tom
Monday, August 11, 2014 4:23 PM
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Open Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Agree or Disagree? by chestnutmare @ Yesterday at 05:20 AM

As I am sure you realize but, perhaps some others have not yet discovered, The Highway does have a Quotes Forum as well as a Devotional Forum which has many good quotes and short devotionals that can be used.
Open Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Agree or Disagree? by Tom @ Sunday, August 17, 2014 8:58 PM

Would you then be happier with a quote that went something like the following? Quote:Scripture informs prayer and the Holy Spirit illuminates Scripture through prayerful reading and study. Not sure I like the flow of that for memory purposes, but it
Open Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Agree or Disagree? by chestnutmare @ Sunday, August 17, 2014 5:47 AM

The problem is not with short pity quotes, it is in effectively stating truth with few words. I like short quotes also and know lots of people who do as well. The qualifier in my opinion is that it must always be true and profound. Otherwise, it is n
Open Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Agree or Disagree? by Tom @ Saturday, August 16, 2014 1:25 PM

I agree, it is the Holy Spirit through the instrument of prayer and careful study that illuminates the Scriptures. The point of making a quote like that, is not that it does not need further clarification. It is just that when I read a short quote fu
Open Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Agree or Disagree? by Pilgrim @ Saturday, August 16, 2014 10:54 AM

Being the proverbial "nitpicker", I have to heartily agree with your respone. It isn't prayer, in and of itself, that illuminates Scripture, but it is instrumental through prayer that the Holy Spirit illuminate our minds and open our hearts
Open Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Agree or Disagree? by chestnutmare @ Saturday, August 16, 2014 5:52 AM

Although, I may be picking at things but you did ask the question, is it not the Holy Spirit that illuminates the Scriptures to us? So prayer for illumination works but it isn't prayer itself that illuminates Scripture.
Open Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Agree or Disagree? by Tom @ Friday, August 15, 2014 11:42 PM

Pilgrim I am sorry I thought I already answered your question earlier, but just to be clear let me quote Robin as to my intended meaning. Quote:If the intended meaning is to say that scripture cannot be understood without the illumination of the Holy
Open Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Agree or Disagree? by Tom @ Friday, August 15, 2014 11:32 PM

Robin Thank you, I think illuminates is the kind of word I was looking for. Tom
Devotional
Jump to new posts External Christianity is not enough by chestnutmare @ Friday, August 15, 2014 8:37 AM

Let us ask those who possess nothing but church membership, and yet want to be called Christians, how they can glory in the sacred name of Christ? For no one has any communion with Christ, but he who has received the true knowledge of Him from the w
Open Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Agree or Disagree? by Robin @ Friday, August 15, 2014 7:09 AM

We know you're not a Gnostic, Tom. We know you're not trying to suggest that prayer offers secret knowledge or special access to new revelation. Just replace the word "informs" with "illuminates" or something.
Open Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Agree or Disagree? by Pilgrim @ Friday, August 15, 2014 5:51 AM

Originally Posted By: TomI wrote it. But like I said, before I use it I want to make sure it communicates what I mean by it. Tom There is no way anyone can suggest a better way of phrasing it until you let us know what it was exactly you were trying
Open Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Agree or Disagree? by Tom @ Thursday, August 14, 2014 8:19 PM

I wrote it. But like I said, before I use it I want to make sure it communicates what I mean by it. Tom
Quotes
Jump to new posts Re: Keep your hearts by Pilgrim @ Thursday, August 14, 2014 6:19 PM

John Flavel's entire book Keeping the Heart can be found HERE.
Open Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Agree or Disagree? by Pilgrim @ Thursday, August 14, 2014 6:16 PM

Again I have to ask... 1. Who wrote it? 2. What is the CONTEXT in which you found the quote? Without especially #2, it is virtually impossible to give the author a . On its face, it is spurious.
Devotional
Jump to new posts Calvin's Prayers from Hosea by chestnutmare @ Thursday, August 14, 2014 10:56 AM

Grant, Almighty God, that as thou often dost justly hide thy face from us, so that on every side we see nothing but evidences of thy dreadful judgment, — O grant, that we, with minds raised above the scene of this world, may at the same time cherish
Open Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Agree or Disagree? by Tom @ Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:51 PM

I believe Robin is correct on what he said about the Holy Spirit's illumination via prayer. The reason why I brought it up is because I think the language used can be misunderstood. However, I like the quote itself if the understood in the proper con
Theology Discussion Forum
Jump to new posts Merit and Moses: A Critique of the Klinean Doctrine of Republication by Pilgrim @ Wednesday, August 13, 2014 5:43 PM

Quote:Over the next few days I want to outline and assess an important new book, Merit and Moses: A Critique of the Klinean Doctrine of Republication, written by three OPC pastors, Andrew Elam, Robert Van Kooten, and Randall Berquist. Merit and Mose
Open Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Agree or Disagree? by chestnutmare @ Wednesday, August 13, 2014 5:18 PM

What do you mean by Quote:prayer informs Scripture.? Certainly God has ordained the manner in which man may worship Him which included how he should approach Him in prayer. This part of your statement is unclear. I would like to understand what you m
Open Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Agree or Disagree? by Pilgrim @ Wednesday, August 13, 2014 5:12 PM

I agree with Robin's response. NOTHING "informs" Scripture in the sense that Scripture is incomplete and someone's prayer adds to it or even illuminates it. It's a strange statement at best. What's the source and the context within which i
Open Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Agree or Disagree? by Robin @ Wednesday, August 13, 2014 4:44 PM

Scripture informs prayer: Absolutely true. When our prayers are guided by Scripture, we pray according to His infallible revelation. Prayer informs scripture: If the intended meaning is to say that scripture cannot be understood without the illumina
Who's Online
0 registered (), 20 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
dawie, Matt, Uriah, SavedByGraceFT, pcslg
778 Registered Users
Shout Box

August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30