Some having swerved have turned aside unto vain jangling,DESIRING TO BE TEACHERS OF THE LAW;UNDERSTANDING NEITHER WHAT THEY SAY,NOR WHEREOF THEY AFFIRM.

Thankyou Ian for your input on this thread.Many here are learning about Grace for the first time I would imagine.

Mark you make me very sad by these comments of yours. I am praying for you.

This is discovered by a contemplation of the law, for by the law is the knowledge of sin (Rom. 3:20). Where there is no enforcing and expounding of the holy law of God there can be no true, deep, saving knowledge of sin; as the apostle Paul so plainly affirms, I had not known sin, but by the law(Rom. 7:7). The exceeding sinfulness of sin (Rom. 7:13) is only exposed when the Spirit turns the light of God's law upon our conscience and heart. But this is preeminently an age of lawlessness, and that in every respect. And it cannot be otherwise: where the law of God is flouted, where thousands of preachers are declaring that the law has no place in this dispensation of grace, we cannot expect people to have much respect for human law. God has caused the people to reap that which they have sown: having sown the wind, they are now reaping the whirlwind. Bolshevism and anarchy are the inevitable rebound from having slighted and rejected the Ten Commandments!

Practical godliness consists in a conformity of heart and life to the law of God, and in a sincere compliance with the gospel of Christ. But it is only as we rightly understand both the law and the gospel that we can discern wherein a conformity to the one and a compliance with the other really consists. Now the requirements of the law are summed up in that word, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might (Deut. 6:5; cf. Matt. 22:37). Observe carefully the three things here specified: first, the duty required, namely, love to God. Second, the ground or reason for this, namely, because He is the Lord our God. Third, the measure or extent of this duty, namely, to love Him with all the heart. Nothing other than this, nothing less than this, will ever meet the righteous claims of God upon us.--Arthur Pink from the Highway article Chapter 1 posted by Wesley in Repentance thread
http://www.the-highway.com/repenttoc_Pink.html