Up front, I have a very negative view of revivalism. I also believe the older Presbyterians, Baptists and Methodists were correct that the office of "evangelist" was an extraordinary office that no longer exists, being only for the apostolic age. It seems that Pastors are to be preaching the gospel, doing the work of an evangelist. But, as a Christian layman, don't I have generally, the same responsibility to live as the wives were directed by Peter?

"Wives, in the same way, accept the authority of your husbands, so that, even if some of them do not obey the word, they may be won over without a word by their wives’ conduct" (1Pet 3:1, NRSV)

Do I exhibit and live the Fruit of the Spirit? Have I the Christian graces? Do I have a life that exhibits the joy, contentment and decency that would appeal to others, causing them to ask questions that open an opportunity to give the gospel message. Are we at risk that reliance and emphasis on revivals and evangelists, gives us this:

"Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you cross sea and land to make a single convert, and you make the new convert twice as much a child of hell as yourselves." (Matt 23:15, NRSV)

I read six online Christian/religious news magazines, and shake my head... but, am I living as I should be? I confess my biggest battle may be with my quick, too often unbridled tongue.

Ned