Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
#44624 Thu May 06, 2010 11:27 AM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
I notice more and more conservatives quoting from or remarking about a Christianity Today article.

I thought the magazine 'jumped the shark' around 10-20 years ago by moving toward liberalism (the dark side).

Why the renewed popularity with the magazine from biblical conservatives? Has the magazine changed or the conservatives becoming broader in their intake?

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
John_C #44626 Thu May 06, 2010 12:36 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Good question. But since I haven't read Christianity Today in over 20 years, I guess I could conclude I don't have renewed interest in it! rofl

I would have to guess that there has been a "shift" in Christianity in America away from conservatism which would make the magazine more appealing. But again, I can't speak about the magazine itself because I don't read it other than the occasional article someone wants me to read online.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #44627 Thu May 06, 2010 12:50 PM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
Originally Posted by Pilgrim
Good question. But since I haven't read Christianity Today in over 20 years, I guess I could conclude I don't have renewed interest in it! rofl

I would have to guess that there has been a "shift" in Christianity in America away from conservatism which would make the magazine more appealing. But again, I can't speak about the magazine itself because I don't read it other than the occasional article someone wants me to read online.

Maybe what I bolden is the answer. Everyone is online and some CT articles are recommended by conservatives. So we read the articles online without going through the entire magazine.

When will books and print media become extinct?

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
John_C #44628 Thu May 06, 2010 3:00 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by John_C
I hope never! [Linked Image] There cannot be any argument that the Internet has provided an almost inexhaustible access to information which beforehand would have been out of reach of the majority of people. What a providential blessing it is to many. For example, The Highway alone has over 1600 books, articles and sermons online for people to read. Who could afford to buy all the books, assuming they would even be available, that are there for free?

For me, there is nothing like a book, held in the hand and read in the comfort on my own home. However, the way technology is advancing, I can foresee a day when books will be antiques and very expensive. I'm very happy to have been born when I was and books are still the main source of information.

What are your thoughts? [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #44629 Thu May 06, 2010 5:12 PM
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
My thoughts. You are talking to the wrong person. I was about the last person that I know to get an answering machine or cell phone. I still don't have the fancy stuff like caller id, texting, etc.

I share your sentiments about books, but I have to say I read far, far less than I did. It is more satisfying to just play on the 'net.

I just don't see how information can produce wealth. Can we really exist in a service economy only?

We will not recognize society in 100 or years in terms of technology and living conditions, but anyone would have to agree that the human desires, thoughts, and philosophies are as sophisticated back in Bible times than are now. I know my forefathers knew how to take care of themselves alone far better than I. It is sad, but all I can do is consume, not produce anything.

John Chaney

John_C #44630 Thu May 06, 2010 10:24 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by John_C
I notice more and more conservatives quoting from or remarking about a Christianity Today article.

I thought the magazine 'jumped the shark' around 10-20 years ago by moving toward liberalism (the dark side).

Why the renewed popularity with the magazine from biblical conservatives? Has the magazine changed or the conservatives becoming broader in their intake?

Christianity Today is a mixed bag, although it's better than it used to be (ie more conservative articles- you have to be discerning of course). You may be thinking of Christian Century, which is quite liberal.

True godliness is a sincere feeling which loves God as Father as much as it fears and reverences Him as Lord, embraces His righteousness, and dreads offending Him worse than death~ Calvin
John_C #44685 Sat May 29, 2010 5:22 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand

ranton It will be a Thursday, the slim iBooks and their clones will have reduced the vast print houses to just purveyors of electronic media. The great publishing houses will have been bought up and subsumed under Itunes. It will become Imedia where books, music, and videos are all stored and sold.

Contemporary "Christian" churches who have long removed Hymnals and Psalters from their churches and replaced them with wall size video screens (3D) will license their music through a "Christian" subset of Imedia. Some will even be able to afford the IChoir where the best renditions of Nuhymns/Nupraise will be played through the video screens giving the best performance possible. With the new 3D technologies it will be like the choir was actually present in the worship area.

The people coming to church will be using the Nubible the latest, bible translation from Imedia with the Ehrman commentary enclosed along with several other contributors from Union Theological Seminary.

Certain fringe groups shunned by most of course will still have printed bibles and hymnals/psalters but they will be for the most part privately owned groups that Imedia will use its monetary influence and copyright lawyers to close. rantoff

Peter

If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself. Augustine of Hippo
Peter #44687 Sat May 29, 2010 6:12 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Peter,

I do hope your tongue-in-cheek prognostications never materialize. But, I suspect that there may be some reality to them to some degree in the not so distant future. Many churches today have already gone "electronic" which does show a trend, unfortunately. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #44689 Sat May 29, 2010 11:26 PM
Old Hand
Old Hand
Well Pilgrim that is one of the problems with working for a electronics company that deals with video and audio communication and transfer I see more and more churches being set up as high tech amphitheaters.

Peter

If you believe what you like in the gospels, and reject what you don't like, it is not the gospel you believe, but yourself. Augustine of Hippo

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth