Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
John_C
John_C
Mississippi Gulf Coast
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,917
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Johan Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
What baffles me for quite a long time now is the enormous variety of interpretations or applications that are attached by different preachers to a specific text in Scripture. I experienced it more than once that in many cases sermons on the same text might have completely differing applications; I mean really 180 degrees away from each other. Of course, these sermons were from different pastors.

Recently I came across an article by Robert L Thomas on "The principle of single meaning" in which (for me) he argues convincingly that each text in Scripture has only one meaning. The problem I have is that if the text has only one meaning, how is it possible that there can really be such a variety of valid applications? My "feeling" is that since a text have a single meaning, the application, even for us today, must be closely linked to the meaning and that therefore there simply can't be a multitude of valid applications.

Does the variety of applications/interpretations mean that preachers don't get to the real meaning of the text?

Would like to hear your views on this.

Johan

Last edited by Johan; Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:08 PM.
The Boy Wonder
The Boy Wonder
Right off the top of my head I can think of one example. Daniel's prophecy about "the abomination of desolation" was literally fulfilled by Antiochus Epiphanes hundreds of years before Christ applied it to an event future to the occasion in which He cited it in Matthew 24:15.

There must be at least more than one interpretation of that prophecy, right?

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
I agree that there is but ONE meaning to any given text in Scripture. I firmly reject any and all views to the contrary, e.g., John Frame's "Multi-Perspectivalism".

However, there may be more than one application that can be derived from a passage. It would be most helpful if you could provide an example of what you consider to be an abuse of making many applications from a text.

I believe we are not far off in our views. grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tim Offline
Plebeian
Plebeian
Do you think that the redemptive historical hermeneutic adds to the popular subjective approach to scriptural interpretation? From the little reading I've done on the subject, it seems problematic to superimpose a single narrative on all of scripture. Of course, there are many other narratives that are imposed on scripture, too.

Greetings!
I have been absent from the board for about 5 years, but I found that I could log in, so I hope it's OK just to jump straight in.
I'd like to put an alternative point of view. Consider Deut. 25:4. 'You shall not muzzle an ox while it treads out the grain.' Well that's pretty clear. I'm sure I've never muzzled an ox, and I certainly hope no one here has! But in 1 Cor. 9:9, Paul applies the text to the support of Gospel ministers, and adds, 'Is it Oxen God is concerned about? Or does He say it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes no doubt.......'

So it appears that support of ministers is not merely an application, but the primary purpose of the verse, and that it always has been.

Itinerant Preacher & Bible Teacher in Merrie England.
1689er.
Blogging at
http://marprelate.wordpress.com
The Boy Wonder
The Boy Wonder
Hey, welcome back, Grace2U! Delighted to see you here.

-Robin

Johan Offline OP
Enthusiast
OP Offline
Enthusiast
Pilgrim asked for an example. I have to admit that I don't have many examples since one sort of start to see what's going on as time goes by.

But I have one that might illustrate my "problem".

A while ago a professor in Theology had a sermon in our church and he read from Philippians 2:19-30. His "focus verse" was verse 25. The sermon sort of started with the question of why would God have verses like this be taken up in Scripture. He said that there was nothing dogmatic in this verse. The answer he gave, with a lot of confidence, is that the Lord had these verses being part of Scripture to show us the human aspect as well as how faith becomes practical. With this perspective I think one can easily see what the application was - unfortunately I don't remember all of the sermon.

I talked to another pastor about this mainly because the professor supports the ordination of women as pastors and elders and it was quite a contradiction that he is absolutely convinced why Phil. 2:25 was taken up in Scripture but when it comes to, eg. 1 Tim. 2 we are not so sure anymore. Any case, the answer of this pastor was that verse 25 has a very specific meaning. He pointed to "companion in labour" (KJV), "fellow soldier", "messenger" as indicating to an official office in the sense that God has to call you and that not everyone is necessarily called. In this way then he sees that there is something dogmatic in this verse.

The two theologians had completely different interpretations and therefore different applications from one and the same text. I realize that this is perhaps not the best example since it might rather be a difference in interpretation but a difference in interpretation implies different applications. I hope it more or less illustrates what I had in mind with my question.

But I think it does sort of illustrates the problem of identifying the real meaning of the text and then the appropriate application (which I still think cannot be too far removed from the real meaning of the text). Personally for me I sometimes find it hard to concentrate on a sermon if it is unclear what the real meaning of the text is and further if some kind of thumb suck application is then put forward.

Johan

Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
Thinking of this issue, I am reminded of how egalitarians use Galatians chapter three (particularly verse 28) to try to prove their position. While most agree that the context is talking about salvation; they give it an egalitarian slant.

Tom

Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by Tom
Thinking of this issue, I am reminded of how egalitarians use Galatians chapter three (particularly verse 28) to try to prove their position. While most agree that the context is talking about salvation; they give it an egalitarian slant.

Tom
The problem there is not with a wrong "application" but rather, as you are surely aware, a totally fallacious interpretation. Everytime I meet someone who tries to use that text for supporting women in office I have to laugh. But to show them just how ridiculous it is, I insist that they be consistent and embrace the view of a completely genderless Christian church:

"There can be neither Jew nor Greek, there can be neither bond nor free, there can be no male and female; for ye all are one man in Christ Jesus."

No male and female, Paul wrote but notice he made no mention whatsoever of restricting it to the pulpit ministry, eldership or deaconate. His statement is universal in nature in regard to those who are Christ's. In fact, Paul says all who are in Christ are to be deemed a "man". scratchchin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Tom Offline
Needs to get a Life
Needs to get a Life
laugh that is funny. I will have to remember that one.
Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Anthony C.), 154 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,509,838 Gospel truth