Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Leah Ireland #52530 Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:10 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by Leah Ireland
Oh boy, I just read a few more posts above and learned I should not be asking the "credo/paedo" question here... Sorry about that. smile
Actually, that is a misunderstanding. I do not want any credo vs paedo DEBATES. They always end up bad. [Linked Image]

However, there is nothing wrong in asking questions about either view, wanting clarification, etc. That is to be encouraged. The more information one can gather, the better the understanding of something. There are a number of articles on The Highway regarding baptism: Calvinism and the Reformed Faith > Ecclesiology > Sacraments (heading). grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Mckinley #52531 Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:21 AM
The Boy Wonder
The Boy Wonder
To say that Baptists ONLY baptize believers is patently untrue, for it is virtually impossible to infallibly know who has true faith. In fact, the honest Baptist will admit that now everyone who is baptized is saved. This is one of the main reasons for the change in name from "Believers Baptism" to "Credo Baptism". For the latter better expresses the reality of the situation; Baptists baptize someone on the basis of a "credo", a PROFESSION of faith vs. actually possessing faith.

Agreed completely!

-an honest Baptist BigThumbUp

Mckinley #52532 Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:45 PM
Plebeian
Plebeian
Robin and Pilgrim, thanks for your responses. I really appreciate it.

On the practice of baptism - I only see professing believers being baptized in the Bible. I do not see wherein any infants were baptized. Rather they were dedicated unto the Lord, which was more a commitment about the parents than it was about the infant. So... I'm still quite stumped in this credo vs paedo issue, but yes, perhaps that's for another post. AHAHAHAHA smile

Last edited by Leah Ireland; Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:47 PM.
Leah Ireland #52533 Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:19 PM
OP Offline

A RIGHTLY USED SACRAMENT

''Too many times, in churches subscribing to Reformed doctrine, the sacrament of baptism is taken too lightly. Too many parents are guilty of the attitude of thinking their task is done when they have their child baptised. Two many churches give themselves a pious pat on the back when another child is baptised and feel that their task is completed. The sacrament of baptism is used in the wrong way so many times.

It is good for us once in a while to review our beliefs about a particular doctrine. In regard to baptism, we need to be reminded again and again that a person may be saved without it and a person may be lost with it! We do not believe in the necessity of baptism for salvation. We do believe it is a sin to neglect it. Here we need to review what our Confession states regarding it: "...it be a great sin to condemn or neglect this ordinance." Again, "The efficacy of baptism is not tied to that moment of time wherein it is administered; yet, notwithstanding, by the right use of this ordinance the grace promised is not only offered, but really exhibited and conferred by the Holy Ghost..."....
Vol. 6, No. 11 (November 1967)
Leonard T. Van Horn,

"A man may be theologically knowing and spiritually ignorant." STEPHEN CHARNOCK
Leah Ireland #52534 Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:32 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Originally Posted by Leah Ireland
Robin and Pilgrim, thanks for your responses. I really appreciate it.

On the practice of baptism - I only see professing believers being baptized in the Bible. I do not see wherein any infants were baptized. Rather they were dedicated unto the Lord, which was more a commitment about the parents than it was about the infant. So... I'm still quite stumped in this credo vs paedo issue, but yes, perhaps that's for another post. AHAHAHAHA smile
1. yep Another thread would be nice. grin

2. Why wouldn't there be infants baptized when entire households were baptized? Why would infants NOT be baptized with the sign of the new covenant when for 3000 +/- years children were included in the covenant and received the sign of the old covenant (males)? Where is the command or teaching that children are no longer recognized as part of the family of God in some sense when that is exactly what the Jews would have expected. scratchchin

3. Remember, the biblical teaching is that infants are NOT to be baptized because they are regenerated in baptism...... nor are they to be baptized because they are presumed to be elect... nor are they to be baptized because they are presumed regenerate... nor are they to be baptized because they are born with the 'seed of faith'.... nope They are to be baptized with the sign of the covenant because they, being children of one or more believing parents, are no longer "unclean" but "holy" (1Cor 7:14), i.e., set apart from the children of this world and given the privilege of the means of grace whereby they can be saved by God's sovereign mercy and grace. Baptism is NOT "an outward sign of an inward reality (salvation)" by nature. It is NOT a sign of the recipients salvation. It is a sign of God's salvation in Christ (the Gospel) and a seal of that salvation to those who actually possess a Spirit-wrought faith which has united them to Christ.

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #52535 Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:32 AM
Tom Online Content
Needs to get a Life
Online Content
Needs to get a Life
Pilgrim
Thanks for providing the Paedo-Baptist view of the issue. Of course as a Credo-Baptist, I would disagree with some of that. But I am still glad you provided it. grin

Tom

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth