Hi Everyone. I've enjoyed reading many of the posts here, and I have a question about Roman Catholicism. First, let me say that I understand there are many things about the Roman Catholic Church that are problematic, but the one we probably hear the most about is the issue of salvation, and more specifically, justification. Most Protestants believe that we are justified by grace through faith alone and that this is a very big deal. I have tended to agree with that. I believe that salvation in a broad sense of the term includes the elements of election, regeneration, conversion, justification, adoption, sanctification, perseverance, and glorification. I do not believe that anyone is regenerated without having been elected, nor do I believe that anyone is converted without having been elected and regenerated, nor do I believe that anyone is justified without having been elected, regenerated, and converted, and so on. Since at least sanctification involves us doing "works," and since we will not reach heaven (glorification) without having been sanctified (which involves our works), why do we make such a huge deal over the justification issue? Since sanctification--growing in holiness and having a right conduct of life--is an essential part of our salvation just as much as justification is an essential part of it, could we not say that works do have a part in our salvation? I'm not saying they are loosely related in an indirect way. I'm asking: since sanctification is an essential part of salvation, and since sanctification involves our works, why is it not accurate to say that works play a role in our being saved? Yes, I know what Ephesians 2:8-9 says, and I'm trying to reconcile all of this. To be sure, I know we do not have anything to boast about in our salvation, but I know many Roman Catholics who believe that as well. I appreciate any thoughts you all may have on this. RefBap