Donations for the month of March

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
NH, USA
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,781
Posts54,881
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,447
Tom 4,516
chestnutmare 3,320
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,865
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 4
John_C 1
Recent Posts
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:02 PM
Change in NRSVue text note on 1 John 5:7
by Pilgrim - Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 AM
Is the church in crisis
by John_C - Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:52 AM
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Tom - Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:00 PM
Should Creeds be read in Church?
by Pilgrim - Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:30 AM
Do Christians have Dual Personalities: Peace & Wretchedness?
by DiscipleEddie - Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:15 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1561 Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:44 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I have a question about George W. Bush. I always hear that those who are in liberal denominations should leave. Examples: the Episcopal Church, PC(USA), and United Methodist Church. However, I never hear these same well-meaning conservative Christians criticize President Bush about remaining in the UMC. It would seem he is a sincere Christian. Should he leave? Should he hear that from anyone?

#1562 Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:50 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I am sure President Bush has heard those words before, but even in a "Conservative" denomination, there are people more liberal than the most liberal Christians in any "Liberal" denomination.

#1563 Fri Mar 14, 2003 4:09 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
there are people more liberal than the most liberal Christians in any "Liberal" denomination.

Could you do me a favor? Define "Liberal" as you are using it in the quote above, please? grin

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #1564 Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I am saying "liberal" here as in not holding to the Bible so much as holding to tradition or what is popular in culture. People who put the Scriptures second to, for example, being politically correct. That kinda thing. Does that make sense?

#1565 Fri Mar 14, 2003 11:40 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
yep Thanks for explaining what you meant by the term "Liberal". Those of us who are "theologically trained" will generally understand "Liberal" to mean Existentialism as taught by such men as Schleiemacher, Ritschl, Von Harnack, Bultmann, Rauschenbusch, et al, which is totally unrelated to modern "neo-Christianity", of which you speak. grin

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #1566 Sat Mar 15, 2003 12:24 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Cool deal. I will keep that in mind when I use the word from now on [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/nuts.gif" alt="nuts" title="nuts[/img]

#1567 Sun Mar 16, 2003 6:23 PM
Permanent Resident
Permanent Resident
I doubt that the President has the sophistication about his Christian beliefs to know that his denomination is that liberal. Speaking of the UMC in Texas, I know of some who belongs to UMC that are conservative. In fact, I think that Tom Landry did. <br><br>One thing is obvious to me is that his daughters do not appear to be trained in the faith. His family appears to look askance whenever he mentions his Christian beliefs. With his seemingly budding Christian growth, what he needs most is for someone to disciple him, but with his lifestyle that will probably not happen.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
John_C #1568 Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:04 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>[color:"blue"]With his seemingly budding Christian growth, what he needs most is for someone to disciple him, but with his lifestyle that will probably not happen. </font><hr></blockquote><p><br><br>Hi John,<br><br>We might all keep President Bush in our prayers over this very matter. I have it on very good authority that the president recently contacted Dr. John MacArthur and that he (John) will be visiting the White House very soon. The forthcoming meeting, which was at the president's request, was prompted by a recent appearance Dr. MacArthur made on Larry King Live. I did not see the show, but apparently John commented that the God of the Bible is not the god of Islam. Why this prompted the president to contact John is unknown to me. As an added tidbit for the more inquiring minds out there, Madonna's husband contacted John as well over this matter. They did not see eye to eye on the matter.<br><br>As a side note, I would assume that by "lifestyle" you mean "busy lifestyle" as opposed to something that might have been more fitting of maybe another individual who held the office in recent years.<br><br>Blessings,<br><br>Ron<br>

#1569 Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:30 PM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Ron,

That bit of "news" is very encouraging indeed. Who knows how the Lord will use MacArthur as His ambassador in speaking with President Bush. I do have my own personal ideas, of course, but I'm certainly not going to try and persuade God to adopt them. laugh

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
#1570 Sun Mar 23, 2003 6:36 AM
Permanent Resident
Permanent Resident
That is encouraging news about the possible meeting with Bush and MacArthur. The President must have some bible-believers on his staff. <br><br>Being busy is a part of what I meant by lifestyle, but I also meant that I don't believe he has been a part of a church community. (maybe that is good since he is UMC). His immediate family (wife & daugheters) seem totally detached from that side of the President.

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
John_C #1571 Mon Mar 24, 2003 9:31 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
<blockquote>[color:blue]I doubt that the President has the sophistication about his Christian beliefs to know that his denomination is that liberal. Speaking of the UMC in Texas, I know of some who belongs to UMC that are conservative.</font color=blue></blockquote><br><br>[color:purple]I have to agree with you that there are some people in the UMC who are conservative. I do tend to disagree with you in saying that the persident doesn't have the sophistication about his Christian beliefs to know that his denomination is liberal. Do we really know the president in person well enough to make that assumption? Just a thought [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/wink.gif" alt="wink" title="wink[/img]

#1572 Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:07 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Do we really know the president in person well enough to make that assumption? Just a thought. wink

Good point! And, since you made this point, given what we DO know about the UMC in its present state, should we even assume that George W. Bush is a true believer? wink

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #1573 Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:24 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
[img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/thinks.gif" alt="thinks" title="thinks[/img]I hadn't thought about it that way. You do make a VERY good point there [img]http://www.the-highway.com/w3timages/icons/yep.gif" alt="yep" title="yep[/img]

#1574 Mon Mar 24, 2003 10:30 AM
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
Kalled2Preach,

This is what was so exciting for me when RonD mentioned that John MacArthur was asked by President Bush to visit him. I am confident that Bush will be exposed to the TRUE GOSPEL, perhaps even for the very first time in his entire life through MacArthur. What a marvelous prospect this is. How rarely does this type of opportunity arise, that a man who holds firmly and clearly to the doctrines of sovereign grace can speak to the leader of the country? joy

In His Grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
Pilgrim #1575 Mon Mar 24, 2003 11:33 AM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
How rarely does this type of opportunity arise, that a man who holds firmly and clearly to the doctrines of sovereign grace can speak to the leader of the country?

It is a glorious day isn't it when the doctrines of sovereign grace can be told anyone...especially our leaders. thewave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 84 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,506,457 Gospel truth