Donations for the month of April

We have received a total of "0" in donations towards our goal of $175.

Don't want to use PayPal? Go HERE

Forum Search
Member Spotlight
Forum Statistics
Forums30
Topics7,787
Posts54,918
Members974
Most Online732
Jan 15th, 2023
Top Posters
Pilgrim 14,457
Tom 4,528
chestnutmare 3,324
J_Edwards 2,615
John_C 1,866
Wes 1,856
RJ_ 1,583
MarieP 1,579
gotribe 1,060
Top Posters(30 Days)
Tom 15
Pilgrim 12
John_C 2
Recent Posts
Jordan Peterson ordered to take sensitivity training
by Anthony C. - Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:57 PM
David Engelsma
by Pilgrim - Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:00 AM
1 Cor. 6:9-11
by Tom - Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:00 AM
The Jewish conservative political commentators
by Tom - Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:54 AM
The United Nations
by Tom - Fri Apr 05, 2024 5:04 PM
Did Jesus Die of "Natural Causes"? by Dr. Paul Elliott
by Pilgrim - Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:39 PM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Hop To
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
In arguiing for expository sermons over topical sermons, even though some topics need addressing in a particular church, I want to say that people will forget topical sermons after several weeks, but hearing expository sermons over time will eventually help them to know their Bibles and they will be able to comprehend a biblical worldview.

What do you think of this argument?

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
John,

It would help if you could define "expository sermons". grin

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
John_C Offline OP
Permanent Resident
OP Offline
Permanent Resident
I'm sure their are different definitions and different ways of preaching expositionally.

I'm thinking of preaching through a book at a time - from start to finish. I've seen some who goes slower through a book than others. Some may take a couple of verses a week (or less) while others may take an entire passage.

SMAP is the method in studying the Bible that I am most familiar with. And, expository preaching lends itself to that approach.
S - What does it say
M - What does it mean
A - What are some applications
P - How to put it into practice.

I think preaching through a book teaches the congregation to think of a particular teaching in context; and maybe more importantly, they will learn to use the same method in their own private study. I even go so far as to say that they will be more likely to study their bibles after being exposed to expository preaching. Those who are not familiar with expositional preaching will tend to find a study book for their studies, instead of plowing through a book of the Bible.

Does that help with the definition, or were you looking for a more detailed, technical definition?

John Chaney

"having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith . . ." Colossians 2:7
Head Honcho
Head Honcho
John,

Your definition helps me to understand your question better. Yes, I have heard "expository preaching" defined in that manner, i.e., preaching through a book of the Bible or a chapter. I have always understood it to mean preaching a text in context, i.e., exposing the meaning and applying it whether it was one verse or several.

I would tend to agree that preaching through a book of the Bible could help the congregation to understand how to read, study and interpret the Bible properly IF the expositor is faithful to the text... AND he also uses the "Analogy of Faith", i.e., comparing Scripture with Scripture so that no text is isolated from the whole of God's Word.

I also believe that there is a definite place and need for "Thematic/Topical Preaching". This is akin to Systematic Theology which takes the Bible as a whole in regard to what it teachings on a particular subject.

Thus, I could not give one method precedence over another and I certainly would not want to limit preaching to one to the exclusion of the other. grin

In His grace,

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]
The Boy Wonder
The Boy Wonder
Absolutely agreed. I think that preaching from the pulpit should ordinarily be expository (preaching through a book of the bible at a time), but must every so often include topical preaching when events or need call for it.

-R

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (Meta4), 96 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
PaulWatkins, His Unworthy Son, Nahum, TheSojourner, Larry
974 Registered Users
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
Popular Topics(Views)
1,510,764 Gospel truth