As I was reading your post and those of others on this subject, I was turning over in my mind the Biblical phrase "double-minded". I tend to think that doubt can be, but isn't always doublemindedness. As we learn to walk with Christ, we have to learn to live mindful of a God and Saviour, and a world we can't yet see. We've been transformed without actually seeing the transformation, and I believe it takes time to live in light of that other world. We're struggling to overcome the old nature and live in tune with the new one, a struggle that goes on our whole lives but which God promises that we will have victory in, by His grace, 1 Thessalonians 5:23,24. Fortunately our salvation depends on His grace, not upon our frame of minds! Double-mindedness is something else, I think. It is a deliberate and unrepentant persistence of having one foot firmly in both worlds. Such a person believes in "spiritual insurance" and is a hypocrite. That's not to say that we aren't all guilty to a certain extent of this-- I know I am anyway-- but, the inclination of my heart, like yours, is to put off such things and to be able to increasingly throw myself on Christ's mercy alone. John Bunyan asks us in his writings, which do you want to be true? Do you want to be His alone? Or do you still, deep down, lust after the world that will burn? I think I can guess the answer. There's both admonition and comfort for you in this passage: Philippians 2:12 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed–not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence–continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, [b]13for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.[/b]

Stand Fast, Craigellachie!