One who has been raised from death, translated from the kingdom of sin and death into the kingdom of God, liberated from the penalty and power of sin; one to whom is promised the inheritance of the new heaven and new earth in a new, perfect, immortal body is pleased to live for God. It also simply makes good sense to live for Him now that we can, having been freed from slavery to sin even while in sinful bodies in a sinful world!

What benefit were you deriving from the things of which you are now ashamed? For the outcome of those things is death. But now having been freed from sin and enslaved to God, you have fruit to sanctification; and the outcome, eternal life (Romans 6:21-22).

Why exchange slavery to one master for slavery to another? Because one master is cruel and obedience to him is shameful and brings only death. My new Master loves me as His own child; obedience to Him is natural, joyful, infinitely satisfying, and brings eternal life.

My obedience also makes me more and more like my Master (Romans 8:29), who loves so deeply that He willingly died the torturous death of the cross to buy my freedom. And that's what I want more than anything - to be like Him; to love as He loves, and to live this life as righteous and holy as He is.

Plus, I must confess that I really relish in the "foolishness" of all this. A small, meek servant who shames a clever, experienced, and mighty warrior. The lowly, self-confessed chief of sinners who is chosen over the loftiest of the world's elite to humble them; to nullify all boasting in human wisdom and human strength and human invention, leaving everyone with nothing to boast but my Master and His wisdom, power, love, mercy, and justice (1st Corinthians 1:26-31).

One contented slave,
Robin