Originally Posted by Robin
Guilt is a completely illegitimate motivator for Christians, because Christians are not guilty!
I can surely agree with your consternation over the way churches (done by persons of course grin) manipulate people to accomplish some goal or meet some alleged need.

But the quote above I find troubling, if I may put it that way. Oh yes, it is undeniably true that for those whom Christ died and whom the Spirit has regenerated and brought to Christ in repentance and a living faith and thus whom God has declared to be justified, there is no guilt in the forensic sense. Christ's atonement is fully sufficient and efficient in this sense. However, do you not believe that a truly justified individual still has guilt when he/she sins? Surely, there is the presence of a guilty conscience over the sin committed which naturally flows from the Christian's new nature and the indwelling Spirit, yes? And, are we not counseled, even commanded to confess our sins in order to be cleansed? A true Christian is no longer under condemnation in the forensic sense, i.e., there is nothing that a Christian will have to atone for which would bring eternal judgment. But, sin committed regardless of whether a person is clothed with Christ's righteousness or still dead in trespasses and sins brings about guilt.

I am confident you will understand my question and agree with my response. My intent is to make sure no one misconstrues what you wrote and possibly concludes that a professing Christian is "guilt free" to the point that they can go about rejoicing, "Let's sin that grace may abound!" (Rom 6:1) Or, that a Christian can do no wrong and thus there is no guilt. We all continue to sin... daily. And those sins make us guilty and liable to judgment, in and of themselves. But praise God that we are no longer under condemnation because all our guilt and the punishment due because of our sins has been dealt with by Jesus Christ on the cross. The true Christian can exclaim with the apostle Paul,

Galatians 2:20 (ASV) "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I that live, but Christ living in me: and that [life] which I now live in the flesh I live in faith, [the faith] which is in the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself up for me."

[Linked Image]

simul iustus et peccator

[Linked Image]